121 REPLIES 121

Heads up. AUS POST just announced price changes

Thanks for posting that.  It makes things a lot clearer than what I was told!

Does extra cover "for items valued between $100 and $5,000" mean we're automatically covered for items worth up to $100???

Message 2 of 122
Latest reply

The highlights that I have spotted are:

• the tracked letter size has been made permanent, it's no longer a trial.
  • satchels are size rather  than weight based for upto 5kg. So the small 500 gram satchel can now hold 5kg, as long as it fits inside that satchel size.
  • The price of satchels as gone up, the old 500 gram is now 8.95, (or 9.20 for prepaid)
  • Instead of 500gram, 1kg, 3kg, 5kg it is  small, medium, large, extra large but a max of 5kg for any satchel size. Which means I will be sending a lot more small satchels, since weight is usually my problem.

Unless ebay announces new pricing too, the 500 gram is still the best bet, but the 3kg satchel is pretty redundant unless you need the larger size.

Message 3 of 122
Latest reply

Technically we always have been covered for upto $100, but Auspost always seem to weasel their way out of it.

"Lost articles are not covered"

"inadequetly packed items are not covered"

Message 4 of 122
Latest reply

@purplemon18 wrote:

The highlights that I have spotted are:

• the tracked letter size has been made permanent, it's no longer a trial.
  • satchels are size rather  than weight based for upto 5kg. So the small 500 gram satchel can now hold 5kg, as long as it fits inside that satchel size.
  • The price of satchels has gone up, the old 500 gram is now 8.95, (or 9.20 for prepaid)
  • Instead of 500gram, 1kg, 3kg, 5kg it is  small, medium, large, extra large but a max of 5kg for any satchel size. Which means I will be sending a lot more small satchels, since weight is usually my problem.

Unless ebay announces new pricing too, the prepaid ebay 500 gram satchel is still the best bet, but the 3kg satchel is pretty redundant unless you need the larger size.

Message 5 of 122
Latest reply

Love how everything gets rounded up,  6.1kg becomes 7kg etc

Will have to have a serious look at my flat rate charges, especially for items I regularly sell to regional WA

Message 6 of 122
Latest reply

I should also mention that the price of regular mail is likely to go up by 10c per $1 in January

https://auspost.com.au/business/shipping/check-postage-costs/pricing-updates/proposed-bpr-price-chan...

Message 7 of 122
Latest reply

@purplemon18 wrote:

Technically we always have been covered for upto $100, but Auspost always seem to weasel their way out of it.

"Lost articles are not covered"

"inadequetly packed items are not covered"

Since they had some major changes a few years ago I haven't been able to find anywhere in their terms that cover is included for items up to $100.  They still don't say that explicitly but the way it's worded it implies that you're already covered up to $100.  I always pay for extra cover out of my pocket because if I send a parcel/satchel it's usually a large order, but $2.50 is going to bite a bit.

I agree that 500g and 1kg size satchels will be better value than before, at least for some of us.  The weight was always the problem for me and it was extremely rare that I used 500g ones.  If I stuff the 3kg size really full they usually weigh around 3kg but now I'll be able to use the next smallest size when they only weigh up to about 2kgs.

Calculated parcels over 5kg are pretty expensive, though I haven't looked too closely, only at sending within Victoria or to Melbourne from here (rural Vic).  I rarely send parcels that large and had already pretty well decided to give some things to an op shop rather than try and sell them on ebay.

Edited to add:  Is the 'lost items not covered" an official stance?  The main reason I insure is to cover loss so I guess I'll have to go on paying it (or take the risk).

Message 8 of 122
Latest reply

It's always been rounded up. Nothing new there.

@ purplemon, I'm sure the prepaid ebay satchels will increase in line with the others.

I've probably got enough of the old prepaid satchels to see me through to the end of my selling career. I assume they have to honour those.
Message 9 of 122
Latest reply

It's $50 or $100 depending on the service used.

I was being lazy when I said that, if the item is marked as delivered (safe to leave) and the receiver claims they didn't get it, Auspost wont cover it.

the details can be found here:

https://auspost.com.au/receiving/missing-damaged-or-delayed-items/compensation

Message 10 of 122
Latest reply