Help! I accidentally cancelled a transaction after the buyer had paid an picked up item.

I listed a bike.  The buyer paid via ebay.  The bike was picked up.  The transaction was sitting in MyEbay as an open item and I accidentally cancelled the transaction.  Now the money has been taken from my bank account and I suppose Ebay will refund the buyer.  I've contacted the buyer to advise them of my error.  What do I do?  Re list the item and Ask the buyer to re purchase?  I need ebay to step in but its not possible to get any customer service... 

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Help! I accidentally cancelled a transaction after the buyer had paid an picked up item.

It looks like you have already re-listed, so what are you going to do if your original buyer refuses to rebuy.   They are not obliged to, and if the bike sells to new buyer, what are you going to supply them.

There is no reason for ebay to step in, as you have cancelled the sale, ebay is obliged to refund the buyer.

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

SNAFU GP..................🤣

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

When the buyer picked up the item did they give you EBay QR code for you to scan when collected? This is your proof the item has been collected.

contact eBay via chat. You’ll get the bot to start with but you can request to chat with a customer service rep. IMG_6244.jpegand explain the situation 

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

There's something like 3 steps to cancelling a sale. It even mentions the refunding of the payment. It will take a few days for the payment to go back to the buyer so be patient until they get their payment back and go from there.

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

You are in a situation, I can see that.

You do need ebay help and I think you can get it by going to the chat service. You will need to outline your problem and if they can't help, you'll need to keep trying till you get an ebay rep who can.

I'm not a seller so I can't help with technical details, I have never been in this situation, but my gut instinct is that relisting and asking the buyer to rebuy it would be a big mistake and is not the way to solve this.

As a buyer, if I had the bike and I had paid for it, there is no way on earth I would rebid if you asked me to.

I'm not an unreasonable person but I would tell you to sort it out with ebay, I wasn't getting involved.

There would also be the danger someone else could buy it, throwing you into an even deeper mess.

It was fine to message the buyer and tell of the mistake. It means that if ebay refunds them & if they are honest people, they will transfer the money back to you. That would be the logical solution.

Unless you did the QR code thing though on pick up, ebay has no way to know for sure that the buyer has the bike.

Do you have messages from the buyer, arranging pick up times etc.

Do you have a message to indicate they have the bike now? Maybe if you can get a message from them to confirm they have it, then you could contact ebay and ask them to read your messages, but if ebay has already transferred the money to the buyer, then I think you will just have to reply on that buyer's honesty.

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

I don't see that proof of pickup, or that the buyer has the item, will make any difference.  As far as I am aware, there is no mechanism for ebay to reinstate the sale, reverse the refund or enforce the buyer to repay. 

I think the response from ebay, will be that the matter is now purely between the buyer and seller, similar to disputes found in buyers favour, where the item is not returned.

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

When accidently cancelling the transaction, what reason did you give

• The buyer asks to cancel the order and they haven't sent the item yet
  • The buyer hasn't paid within the time allowed
  • The buyer used the wrong delivery address when they completed their purchase
  • The item is out of stock (this will result in a transaction defect)
  • ======================================================
  • Once an order has been cancelled, it can't be undone
  • ====================================================
  • If the buyer completed payment through eBay checkout and the seller cancels the order, a full refund will be issued to the buyer's original payment method.
Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

You stoofed up and unfortunately, it's going to be you that pays the price. It is highly unlikely the buyer will repay the money. They got a full refund due to your stupidity, why would they repay? They've got the bike, plus a refund, win win for them!

I would be cancelling the relisting of the bike, because if someone else buys it, you are triply screwed. Not only do you not have a bike to sell them, you'll be paying fees on a non sale. The buyer will also screw you monumentally, and rightfully so.

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

Im' confused why you have relisted it,  if it is with the purchaser, who you have now kindly refunded,   you cant sell it a second time.  I am confused,  you are digging a deeper hole for yourself.

And PS unsure how you can ''accidently'' cancel a sale.  But not my problem

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply