Help on Creepy Buyer! :(

psok6
Community Member

Hi all, this is the first time I've ever posted on here, but I've have had my suspicions over a particular buyer from the very start, and it seems to be playing out just as I thought it would be!!!

I am extremely stressed about it and would value other opinions on this.

A buyer kept making low offers an an item that was already low, it was a small value item so I posted it as a large letter. Prior to making an offer, the buyer asked if I had "anymore photos wearing them" which I responded no.

The buyer purchased the item regardless, and the very next morning sent a Contact Details request, requesting for my personal details.

I contacted the buyer as to why this was, and they said they "normally" do this for every purcahse in case "anything goes wrong". So basically they are planning for something to go wrong prior to me sending the item, or just wanted my contact details.

I told them that this was not necessary, and I have up to 2 business days for handling time. They messaged me again, still about my contact details and saying that the request never came through... I told them that wasn't an issue, as we can resolve issues over ebay messaging, and I always respond as soon as I see the message (so time frame would be the exact same as if it were a text message)!

I told them that I had sent the item as a large letter, as otherwise there would be no point in me sending the item if postage was already $8 + fees etc.They said ok and I thought that was the end of it, they would receive the item, and I wouldn't have to deal with it again.

Well 2 days later... they are messaging me again saying they haven't received their item, that it must have been rejected, and they have now requested my contact details again!!! I told them that it sometimes takes up to 10 days for letters to be received, and if it was rejected then they it would just come back to me.

So my suspicions are that it's a creepy guy (it's a guy's name that the account is under) trying to get my contact details, or going to file an item not received claim, even if they've received it. HOPEFULLY this is not the case and they are just very impatient but it would be very coincidental if they claim they didn't receive it after all these issues.

What can I do???

I guess worse case scenario I can block calls/texts, block the buyer in future and refund the item (they'll probably leave me bad feedback, ruining my score of 100%). But I'm worried they'll use my contact details to stalk me...

It's very sad that eBay gives you warning/suspension when buyers provide contact details to purchase large/pickup items but then they happily give away your contact details to any buyer who requests it.

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: Help on Creepy Buyer! :(

If I was you, a young attractive woman, I wouldnt be a grumpy old man and that would be a good thing........ I think..........But anyway, if I was you there is no way in the world I would be allowing my private home address to be passed onto sleazy ebay buyers. The answer is to use your ebay ID as your name and rent a post box at your local PO.

As I say, I,m a grumpy old man, but I do use these basic online safety measures along with a couple of others that I had better not mention in order that ebay nutcases cant easily track me down.

Message 11 of 16
Latest reply

@justkidzbiz wrote:

The problem is that when you send an invoice, eBay automatically puts the seller's  name and address in the bottom left of the invoice page saying

If you send your payment (e.g. cheque) by post, add a copy of this e-mail and send everything to the following address. Please note that eBay does not permit sellers to accept cash payments sent by post.

Jane Doe

123 Smith St, Whereever 3456

I have raised concerns about this with eBay months ago, the fact that invoices are including seller's address which could be a safety issue, obviously they don't give a hoot as nothing has changed, not all sellers want their address printed on an invoice and you cannot delete it from the invoice.

I believe it only shows your address like that if you accept cheques or money orders as payment.  I took those off my accepted payment methods long ago because nobody used them anyway, and my address no longer shows.

Message 12 of 16
Latest reply

utebns
Community Member
In my eyes 20 bucks is 20 bucks lol.

He can easily get your details via lodging a inr claim, sending a large letter had no tracking (unless u paid for it) so an easy inr case. Thus requesting returns addresses.
If not a returns address should be on all parcels / envalopes anyway.
If you have used a name with the address, run it over facebook as well as your subburb / town and your found.
All info that can be gainrd with an inr, or paypal dispute.
Its happened to me. Innocent transactions gone wrong, but ive lso dont it to buyers who have purchased but given wrong post details and ive had to try and track them down to refung hundreds of dollars of goods because theybpaid cash over the counter at a bank, i couldnt just return the money whrn itrms returned back to me via the post. They wernt replying to ebay messages so good old facebook and google of their names and subburbs gained me a means of communication to refund their money.
Everyones easty to find these days.
Message 13 of 16
Latest reply

@utebns wrote:

He can easily get your details via lodging a inr claim, sending a large letter had no tracking (unless u paid for it) so an easy inr case. Thus requesting returns addresses.
If not a returns address should be on all parcels / envalopes anyway.
If you have used a name with the address, run it over facebook as well as your subburb / town and your found.
All info that can be gainrd with an inr, or paypal dispute.
Its happened to me. Innocent transactions gone wrong, but ive lso dont it to buyers who have purchased but given wrong post details and ive had to try and track them down to refung hundreds of dollars of goods because theybpaid cash over the counter at a bank, i couldnt just return the money whrn itrms returned back to me via the post. They wernt replying to ebay messages so good old facebook and google of their names and subburbs gained me a means of communication to refund their money.

Using your ebay id as your name in the return address and a post box instead of a sreet address is a good start to protecting yourself from sleazy buyers. If you dont give ebay your phone number, that provides another layer of protection.

If you dont have facebook or twitter accounts even better. When I google my name, nothing comes up to identify me. There are a few people in the world with my name and a couple of them fill quite a few pages of google searches.

There are a lot of things people can do to retain some privacy. Its just that most people dont bother.

Message 14 of 16
Latest reply

I don't accept cheques or money orders and it still shows my address on the invoice.

Message 15 of 16
Latest reply

@utebns wrote:

......They wernt replying to ebay messages so good old facebook and google of their names and subburbs gained me a means of communication to refund their money.

I agree that any parcel sent without tracking is a sitting duck for an item not received claim if a buyer is unscrupulous * this one could very well be!

As for how easy it is to trace someone. Normally a return address would be on most parcels but not necessarily the person's real name. I haven't paid a lot of attention but I seem to recall a couple of parcels I received had pre printed labels with the seller's ebay name, which makes sense.

I know a lot of people assume you can trace anyone on FB but that isn't necessarily so. Many of my friends & relatives have accounts under eg their first 2 names but not surname or else a shortened or made up surname. Police, prison officers, teachers etc don't necessarily want to be easily found.

Message 16 of 16
Latest reply