Help please Buyer return Yes or No

ozzsale_65
Community Member

Hi please help if you can it would be much appreciated.

Sold used item stating no returns in listing to buyer, they receive item and all seems fine no feed back left as of yet.

1 week later they message me saying item is starting to fall apart.

I offer refund if they return item to me now.

They say can't return, need to use item for longer (work) and when they do return the item to me, it will be destroyed.

I previously stated to them that the item must be in the condition as they received it in or close to for refund

but its destroyed now because they kept using it. Confirmed by pictures they have sent me.

Buyer also feels they are wasting there time sending it back to me because of this,

i think they are looking for refund without the return. Should they return item to me after kept using it to point of destroyed.

What to do if anything.

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: Help please Buyer return Yes or No

ozzsale_65
Community Member

sorry logged in on wrong i.d with last question

Message 11 of 14
Latest reply

So why ask the question twice?

Message 12 of 14
Latest reply

@everyday-styles wrote:

Can a buyer claim the item is starting to fall apart, refuse to send item back to me for refund because they need to use it longer & when they are finished with them send me pictures of them now destroyed.

I think i should just ignore his message, and if they open a case go from there directing ebay to the massages.

The buyer wonts a refund but fills he can no longer return the item, because they have abused there opportunity to return, making me so what feeling guilty of sending a faulty item.

That is exactly what you should do.  If the buyer does open a dispute and ebay find in your favour, any feedback they leave can be removed at your request

Message 13 of 14
Latest reply

I guess I will play Devil's Advocate for a moment....

Does the buyer's initial claim have any merit at all? By which I mean, is it likely at all that the item was faulty? It's actually difficult to give appropriate advice without knowing for sure what the item was, what was damaging it in such a short time, and why the buyer "needed" it and couldn't replace it so settled for continuing to use it. (I've personally done the same thing, with work tools, only I didn't bother asking the seller for a return / refund after, even though I could have).

If it was, the appropriate option when a product is faulty but the buyer wants to keep it as is, is to provide a refund for the loss in value (this is not my personal suggestion, but part of ACL - Australian Consumer Law). Choosing to continue to use an item until it's damaged beyond repair is less than ideal, but doesn't negate any consumer rights unless it was misuse

A lot of people will say ACL doesn't apply to sellers if they are not a registered business - that is not true. It applies if you are carrying on a business, registered or not, so if any of the above is applicable, I would keep it in mind before declining the buyer's request.

Message 14 of 14
Latest reply