Help please - seeking opinions on photos in descriptions

I list using inkfrog

Inkfrog have finally introduced the option to not include your photos in the body of a listing description if you are using their standard templates.

I am of a mind to use this option now as I know photos in the listing does not suit some peoples mobiles capabilities or computer loading speeds, though I do have some doubts as with my buyers hat on, as I actually prefer to view multiple photos in a description where these are shown at once (rather than having a scroll feature).

Others opinions will be valued. 

Message 1 of 21
Latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: Help please - seeking opinions on photos in descriptions

Lol it is absolutely FREAKY that you have posted that.

I have never ever had inkfrog picture hosting probs - until the last day or so !!!! 

I have had to revert to relisting live from eBay Cat Sad

On both regular and beta inkfrog lister, my photos with the back ground removed (99 times out of 100 the gallery photo) won't stick to inkfrog listings after they have been launched ... gggggrrrr 

All other photos remain, just not the downloaded version from clip magic.

Means that when I go to relist I have to copy the picture from ended eBay listing and upload to inkfrog again - until the techs at inkfrog work it out.

Message 11 of 21
Latest reply

That'd probably be a clincher for me too (are the clipping magic images a different format? I know they're compressed, or at least were always much smaller file sizes than the original when I downloaded, but I can't remember if the format was the same...not that I have any idea if/how that would make a difference Smiley Embarassed)  - I have thought about stripping my listings down to just text, as I was told a while back it's more ebay search engine friendly (plus I have to on other sites, but their galleries are much simpler to scroll through, as well, plus there isn't reams of information and other seller's images between image section and the description area), but on eBay I've used it to help establish branding so it's the only thing left on listings (after the upgrade to the new store format) that reflects it. 

Message 12 of 21
Latest reply

They are compressed slightly when downloaded from clipping magic, but they are still in jpeg format so I dunno what the issue is ???  I have never had this type of problem before - I have used clipping magic for yonks now.

The photos are still accessible in my images folders I can view and edit there no probs, however my folders there are a HUGE BIG FAT MESS and totally randomly organised so I could never really hope to locate the right photos again quickly Cat EmbarassedCat Frustrated:

At least with inkfrog you get very quick responses, they investigated straight away, with several emails to clarify the issue - which is brilliant, and very unlike eBay to ever ask for more details that may help.

Message 13 of 21
Latest reply

Re stripping lsitings to text - I tend to think that if it were the case that things were more "searchable" why wouldn't big box retailers get their savvy techs to strip down their listings to a minimum - not that I am a techy in anyway, but personally I don't believe it is the case based on my own eBay searches, yet to see listings with text only dominate the results.

Message 14 of 21
Latest reply

@thecatspjs wrote:

Re stripping lsitings to text - I tend to think that if it were the case that things were more "searchable" why wouldn't big box retailers get their savvy techs to strip down their listings to a minimum - not that I am a techy in anyway, but personally I don't believe it is the case based on my own eBay searches, yet to see listings with text only dominate the results.

At one stage I noticed quite a few sellers mentioning their sales increased when they got rid of templates and the like, along with several other suggestions that were meant to be "Cassini friendly" (eg using MPNs and SKUs) - their theory was, because templates have a lot of repeated information across numerous listings, eBay's search engine saw it as duplicate content and lowered the rankings of the listings, which kinda seemed to make sense to me, but I asked Rob Bell (the guy behind Robshelp and FreeForm) about it a while ago and he pretty much discounted it (I think that question / reply is somewhere here on the forums, actually). 

Message 15 of 21
Latest reply

About the photo sticking problem - it might be something particular about the compression Clipping Magic uses that clashes with Ebay Picture Services.  So it could be worth checking if clipping magic is doing something different lately.   Doesn't EPS use Java? This is known to corrupt jpegs so there might be something about those photos.  Just thinking aloud.

Also, I once had some bad batches from lightroom processing because I accidently changed something in the export settings, but the difference was they wouldn't upload at all. I don't know clipping magic at all but if there are settings you can change when you process/save this might be worth checking.

Good point about the big box retailers not stripping listings - maybe ppl noticed an increase in sales because they had more time to put more listings up! Lol.

Long yuck job changing all those listings, been there Smiley Sad  Doubly hard because the photo listings were so darn pretty, I didn't want to 'downgrade' them.  Not going back though. I thought you had another posh Dress Shop which would have been interesting to compare (don't want to be too explicit). Sorry if I got my wires crossed.   

Message 16 of 21
Latest reply

Thanks for your thoughts Poppy.

The photos upload no probs on eBay - I am actually reloading the gallery pics and other clipping magic outputs from eBay back into inkfrog -lol

I think my settings in inkfrog are an issue, I have no ability to change uploading process so up to techs there to sort.

I am going to create my own template in inkfrog when I have time, they are moving away from the old style templates in any case - and I do want a tad of color.

I have a few family members and other associates who also sell on eBay, and have "shared" IDs with them from time to time as I have always been keen to explore a family and trading friends selling co-op model.  We have dabbled in swapping clothing stock etc, so might be one of those IDs.

My long term direction includes retaining recylced clothing in the business as it is something I enjoy doing, however very time consuming compared to other markets which require less time and effort, but are much less satisfying to me. 

Message 17 of 21
Latest reply

I am so glad to have stumbled upon this conversation.

My listings are a mix of all sorts. Using Auctiva I have the scrolling gallery down the bottom of the listings but mainly I use the basic Auctiva ($9.95AUD) a month, for the templates because they appealed to the arty side of me. And because all listings generated via Auctiva are saved so I can 'copy' them a year down the track if i want to.

However recently, I've been actioning 'sell similar' from my own listings in eBay itself (because im just too slow and need to clear my items)- and happy to find, everything is copied over.

But the MAIN reason I'm writing is in looking at my listings that have gone on forever and ever (the ones i thought most clever 😉 after reading this thread, they are the ones that i have (upto) 12 eBay pics  with AND the same or even more in the text body!

What an eejit i was for not realising how long they would take to upload for mobile phone App users! So - now i am in the process of deleting the text body images (auctiva) - and can't wait to see what marvellous things happen.

So - THANK YOU.Smiley Very Happy

Message 18 of 21
Latest reply

Given how touchy ebay are, and they recommend making listings mobile friendly, I would suggest sooner or later it will become a mark down in their search formula. i firmly believe they keep changing the formula to subtly enforce their recommendations.

Ultimately I think they want to eliminate "individualization" of listings.

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 19 of 21
Latest reply

Sadly I think you are totally right.

The individualisation of listings was one of the early eBay pleasures.

I think the day they told us (as sellers) we would automatically receive 5 stars for 'communication' with ebay buyers when we did NOT communicate, was the strongest indication that the 'personal touch' was not worth the traffic costs (to eBay)

Etsy is looking better than ever.

At least we still have freedom in the Forums 🙂

Message 20 of 21
Latest reply