Heres an idea

How about buyers HAVE to contact a seller first before they can leave a neg.  At least give us half chance to protect our seller accounts (Because ebat sure as hell cant) 

Just got a neg (another account) for an item not recieved. It was a $3 item which I would have had no problem replacing if the buyer had contacted me first. But no, this putz blunders in, drops a big red one on me saying item not recieved. 

Buyers should HAVE TO contact a seller to sort it out before they can leave neg. 

Just a thought.

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Heres an idea

Whilst it is a good idea I can't see eBay ever implementing it. I also think that is the event of a full refund, a buyer should not be able to leave neg/neutral feedback.

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

Heres an idea

This has been suggest so often you think ebay would take notice when a suggestion is give many many multiple times.

But nope it is all about helping the buyers as they think with out buyers there is no ebay.

Never mind if there is no sellers then there would be no buyers.

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

Heres an idea

That's what it used to be nearly 10 years ago.

But buyers would send a fullstop in a message and then they could leave a neg.

image host
Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

Heres an idea

Let me guess, a low feedback buyer?

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

Heres an idea

@*sparklz* wrote:

This has been suggest so often you think ebay would take notice when a suggestion is give many many multiple times.

But nope it is all about helping the buyers as they think with out buyers there is no ebay.

Never mind if there is no sellers then there would be no buyers.

Agree 100% on this point.

Do you see a huge crowd of people wanting to buy stuff just rock up at the local showground in the hope there may be some sellers there.

Nooooooo....

If there are sellers already there first then the buyers rock up and part with their hard earned $$$.

Sooooo... yes... without sellers you will have no buyers. So look after us.

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

Heres an idea

Yes sometimes they contact you but are unreasonable  ive had my first return request for an item not being authentic--First reason no hallmarks  funny colour ---When i pointed out it has 3 hallmarks .Then its  well you must of stuck those hallmarked bits onto another bit.Then it was taken to a jewellers or maybe the  photos of it were taken to a jewellers who said' its Junk'  While im saying please return my original item and supplying my return address 3 times  and waiting on it being sent back to happily give a refund .  Instead ive caused some terrible hurt  that will probibly get a red 

Spoiler
Woman Sad
I think if you refund they can only leave  a neutral at most as youve done what theyve asked .   Even when the reason isnt fair or true
Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

Heres an idea

@ridyruki wrote:

Yes sometimes they contact you but are unreasonable  ive had my first return request for an item not being authentic--First reason no hallmarks  funny colour ---When i pointed out it has 3 hallmarks .Then its  well you must of stuck those hallmarked bits onto another bit.Then it was taken to a jewellers or maybe the  photos of it were taken to a jewellers who said' its Junk'  While im saying please return my original item and supplying my return address 3 times  and waiting on it being sent back to happily give a refund .  Instead ive caused some terrible hurt  that will probibly get a red 

Spoiler
Woman Sad
I think if you refund they can only leave  a neutral at most as youve done what theyve asked .   Even when the reason isnt fair or true

You think wrong. A buyer can leave a neg for any (or no) reason on an active transaction. The only way to avoid a red is to complete a UPI, which obviously doesn't apply in your case.

There are remedies, but they almost certainly involve ACORN. eBay certainly won't help you.

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

Heres an idea

@outback_blends wrote:

How about buyers HAVE to contact a seller first before they can leave a neg. 

Just speaking personally, I think this is one of those ideas that sounds good in theory, but wouldn't work so well in practice.

Let's say, for example, the option to leave a neut or neg does not become available until the buyer sends an enquiry to the seller... Not only do more than half of the (current) messaging options actually result in an MBG request being opened, but what's the bet sellers would start receiving obligatory messages with one word or two just so a buyer could then go and leave their FB.

It would also increase the "before I leave a negative...." kinds of messages, which has a long history of p***ing off sellers and putting them off-side Smiley Surprised Smiley LOL (Most sellers will suck it up and respond as if that phrase wasn't in there, but some can not ignore it and so will respond to that rather than respond to the problem, which in turn would escalate things rather than resolve them). 

What they would actually have to do, in order to mitigate all of these issues, is implement a dispute resolution system that's a pre-cursor to a formal request, and which needs to be resolved or escalated before the option to leave bad feedback becomes available, which systemises commuication and resolution options, something I'm not very fond of, and could mean the end result would be less encouraging of buyers and sellers communicating amicably with each other than what would be intended by this idea (JMHO), so I would be reluctant for eBay to introduce anything like that. 

What they have done, though, is eliminate all negative effects of receiving neutral and negative feedback, in terms of account standing at least. It's not a defect anymore, and a feedback rating of 99% or even 75% etc won't get you suspended or result in having selling privileges affected. I get that it's a tarnish to someone's reputation, and easy to take personally - lord knows I've had some interesting reactions when I've seen a red dot on my profile - but I think in the long run they're a completely ineffective measure on all counts these days, and should be regarded the same way as any other situation where one receives criticism - if it's valid, take it on board, if it's not, respond and move on. 

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

Heres an idea

How about preventing those buyers who asked to cancel or done something wrong which led to cancellation  from leaving any feedback as a start?

A buyer asked me to cancel their purchase. It happened because they failed to read even a short item title.

Their reason was that they misunderstood postage cost while it seemed they did not read the item title not to mention its description at all. This item was for my customers who received quotes from me and I specifically ask in the item title  not to buy the item without getting a quote from me first. 

I cancelled and suggested politely that it is always better to read a title and description before purchasing. Just to make sure they understand what they are buying. 

And yet this buyer was allowed to leave me a  neutral feedback blaming us for their mistakes. 

Decoroo - Custom made wooden products
Message 10 of 13
Latest reply