How can our items show in the regular searches on eBay.com.au and eBay.com?

Hi all,

Relatively new seller and would like to start offering more items worldwide. I know that by clicking Worldwide in the postage options, it will show up overseas when someone on eBay.com (for example) select Search Worldwide.

What's really interesting is that I've noticed that some Aussie sellers are able to list on eBay.com.au but also have the same listing appear in the regular results on eBay.com, without the need for someone in the US to do a Worldwide search. That really broadens the market if it also appear on eBay.com, because many don't click on Search Worldwide as the market is already very big over there.

I guess I'm just curious to see if anyone knows this how this works? Thanks for any help 🙂

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: How can our items show in the regular searches on eBay.com.au and eBay.com?

Hi zen, I am guessing they list on both sites.

I know there is an option to have a listing appear on the UK site which needs to be ticked in the box but don't know about that for the USA site.

image host
Message 2 of 17
Latest reply

To the best of my knowledge,when someone searches for something,ebay automatically uses the worldwide default option.Buyers actually need to choose blah blah only to eliminate worldwide ie if you live in Australia,you'd need to tick show results for Australia only on left side of page.

(scratches head & hopes that makes sense)

Message 3 of 17
Latest reply

Hi zen, I am guessing they list on both sites.

I know there is an option to have a listing appear on the UK site which needs to be ticked in the box but don't know about that for the USA site.

That's the thing though... it's for the exact same item. To test it out, I searched the title on eBay.com.au and then also on eBay.com, under "Listed on eBay.com" in the search parameter over there. It showed up there too, which is really unusual.

Could you please explain how to have a listing appear on the UK site? I feel it may be the same trick to have it appear on the US site, as I can't think of how else they're doing it!

Hi foxette, I made sure that Worldwide wasn't selected. It was definitely "on eBay.com" that was selected. It's really weird...

Message 4 of 17
Latest reply

I don't think you can guarantee that your item appears on eBay.com when listing on eBay.au, but you can give your items a better chance, and I'm pretty sure the following automatically works for eBay.uk

Basically, you have to quote specific postage to both the US and UK, even if the price is the same as worldwide delivery. 

If you need any help setting it up, just let me know, but and I'll post in more detail.

Message 5 of 17
Latest reply

I don't think you can guarantee that your item appears on eBay.com when listing on eBay.au, but you can give your items a better chance, and I'm pretty sure the following automatically works for eBay.uk

Basically, you have to quote specific postage to both the US and UK, even if the price is the same as worldwide delivery. 

If you need any help setting it up, just let me know, but and I'll post in more detail.

Hi digital*ghost! Thankyou, that would be really helpful 🙂

Message 6 of 17
Latest reply

No problem. 🙂

When you get to the postage section, select which option you prefer from Flat Rate (same cost to all buyers) or Calculated, then, in the drowpdown menu, select Choose custom location - it should look like this:

You can tick more than one location, but if you're using flat rate you will have to charge the same postage to each one you tick.  You can still use flat rate but charge different amounts to different countries by only selecting one location, then clicking "Offer additional service" to quote a different rate to another location.

Message 7 of 17
Latest reply

I noticed the change on SOME australian listings showing up in the search on ebay.com and as noticed by the Op, while searching for local USA listings (you have to log in to USA for what we are all talking about) without having to select "From Worldwide" 

I also noticed it seemed to be a few categories it happened to, but not necessarily all.  I can even tell you it started happening from Oct 22 last year. the day OZ post went to 500gm increments instead of 250gm increments.  Weird but true.  I also , for once , did not complain to ebay about the "glitch"  as they made no announcement about the "improvement" so hopefully it will stay.  NOTE it does float in and out of happening, because for a brief period about 3 weeks ago. it suddenly stopped happening, but is now back again. 

As for me I just list direct on UK or USA as their listing fees are cheaper, and it guarantees better worldwide visibility, if that is your intended market. I buy way too much on oz ebay listed with worldwide visibility, then re sell by listing on UK domain with worldwide visibilty at a tidy profit to prove the search on OZ listings for the rest of the world is to put it politely 'slightly disadvantaged'.  (last one bought on OZ for opening bid $50, sold on UK domain for $277 equiv. in Feb)  and the person I bought it off is probably still wondering why he didn't achieve the expected world market value for that item.

DO your market research folks.  just because ebay SAY it is visible, ask the next question.

HOW Visible......  I wrote a guide on this  check it on my home page

but do it quickly, because someone in ebay OZ probably won't be able to handle the truth, and may decide my longstanding guide is bad publicity.......if they see this

Message 8 of 17
Latest reply

Thanks again digital*ghost! Going to try that in the next listing 🙂

mission, I see you're selling records too and one of them is listed on the UK website. I just searched for "SXL 6404 NM De Burgos 1st label" (the Midsummer Night's Dream) record on eBay.com.au and your listing only showed up by selecting Worldwide.

What I mention on the opening post is that there's a seller whose items show up on both the eBay.com.au and eBay.com site, without having to select worldwide! It's really puzzling! Hopefully digital*ghosts idea will work for that and if it does, you should definitely try that too.

Here is one of their listings (check it out yourself on both eBay.com.au and eBay.com to see what I mean): "SOLOMON BURKE - DETROIT CITY EP 7" Australian COVER MISSPELLED as BOURKE"

Message 9 of 17
Latest reply

Hi Zenremix,

I didn't want to confuse everbody , but my one and only OZ listing also appears on the USA  site as you have found that other sellers, (as a local not international)  MY UK listings are designed to sell to buyers LOOKING on UK, my OZ listing is designed to sell primarily to Buyers LOOKING on USA , (I diod not say LIVING in UK or USA0  You will notice if you look at the USA LOCAL search for one of my UK GBP listings , they DO appear as a local USA listing.

As I said , didn' t want to confuse my 1st post with extra info, but I have done EXTENSIVE resarch and testing on how to make listings appear in different domains in the best possible way to target that items potential customers, and everything Digital ghost said, is true, but relevant to your question on an Australian listing, which is why my one OZ listing performs as predicted, ont he home search of USA.  The links between ebay domains and getting your listing to appear in optimum search results is a deep wormhole Alice, and when I get onto the tech people, or the UH help lines, most are completely oblivious to those subtle inter domain tweeks, NONE of which are in ANY domains FAQS or help line /chat rooms.

I finally just got around to a 4th guide this morning off my home page talking about another hidden problem to do with Categorization when listing on OZ that will very effectively hide your listings on both UK and USA. And everyone thought you could be seen just by ticking Available worldwide  !!!!  Sorry not meaning to change off topic or talk about OTHER visibility issues but they are invisibly there if you get my drift

Message 10 of 17
Latest reply