How can our items show in the regular searches on eBay.com.au and eBay.com?

Hi all,

Relatively new seller and would like to start offering more items worldwide. I know that by clicking Worldwide in the postage options, it will show up overseas when someone on eBay.com (for example) select Search Worldwide.

What's really interesting is that I've noticed that some Aussie sellers are able to list on eBay.com.au but also have the same listing appear in the regular results on eBay.com, without the need for someone in the US to do a Worldwide search. That really broadens the market if it also appear on eBay.com, because many don't click on Search Worldwide as the market is already very big over there.

I guess I'm just curious to see if anyone knows this how this works? Thanks for any help 🙂

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: How can our items show in the regular searches on eBay.com.au and eBay.com?

Thanks, digital*ghost but unfortunately that method didn't get it listed directly on eBay.com aswell as here. It shows up on eBay.com when you click on Worldwide but not directly on their regular results.

Still puzzled as to how its done. 🙂

Message 11 of 17
Latest reply

I seem to remember a while back an announcement was made that said powersellers listing fixed price would get homepage visibility on UK if selecting worldwide option, but not for Auctions.

I am selling some personal items on my non TRS OZ page, and although listed in the same way as my visible OZ listings on this registration, They DO NOT SHOW on USA homepage.

Maybe that is a related problem, if Zen still qualifies as a casual (new ) seller, maybe the filters stop his items hitting homepage USA.  I know If you list direct on UK , to select international visibility on the USA homepage (And listing vice versa) you have to have 10 feedback to be able to even see the option. SO maybe this is a filter set only to longer term sellers.  the litmus test is, can anyone find an oz $ listing that is on the USA homepage search, where the seller is NOT TRS or powerseller?  but that is hard to pick because I am both, but my listings in USA Don't display either, because you have to have , I think 100 sales to an American resident to qualify on their screens (I think)  You would have to find an oz listing, then check to see if the sellers reg looking at the AU site shows them as not being TRS/powerseller. 

At least if not totally correct, perhaps my theory is somewhere in the right direction? seeming as this TRS reg does show in the USA homepage, and my other NON trs reg DOES NOT

Any one know more or have any other ideas

Message 12 of 17
Latest reply

I seem to remember a while back an announcement was made that said powersellers listing fixed price would get homepage visibility on UK if selecting worldwide option, but not for Auctions.

Yep. The announcement was in October, 2011:

From 19 October, fixed price listings from Australian sellers who currently offer shipping to the UK now automatically appear in search results on eBay.co.uk.

Top Rated and Above Standard Australian sellers, offering products in selected categories may now benefit from the increased exposure to the 17 million unique users visiting eBay.co.uk every month.

Sellers who currently do not offer worldwide shipping as part of their listings should consider changing their offering to take advantage of this increased visibility. 

There wasn't any similar announcements for US visibility so it's kind of pot luck regardless of what format you use, but specifying postage to custom locations gives you an extra shot - if you click the "Learn More" link in the international postage section, you see the following:

To sell an item on an international eBay site, you'll need to choose a postage option for that country. That lets buyers in that country know how much postage will cost if they buy the item.

You can choose a flat rate for each of the countries, or let the postage calculator determine approximate postage costs based on the destination and size and weight of the package.

When you choose worldwide postage, buyers all over the world can come to the site where you listed the item and buy it. However, choosing worldwide postage does not mean that your item will show up on international eBay websites.

To have your item show up on certain international eBay web-sites you'll need to specify a postage option for the United States, Canada or UK.

Message 13 of 17
Latest reply

Thanks guys, it's like a puzzle... just have to put all of the pieces together... 🙂

By the way, I asked the seller how they do it and they apparently didn't do anything special. Just selected Post Worldwide. Also they're listing auctions and are not a PowerSeller (they also don't have a store) but they have been registered since 2004 with over 1000 feedback so that may help in some way.

Message 14 of 17
Latest reply

Top Rated and Above Standard Australian sellers, offering products in selected categories may now benefit from the increased exposure to the 17 million unique users visiting eBay.co.uk every month.

I think this quote by digital*ghost may be the key. I'm not Top Rated or Above Standard unfortunately.

Message 15 of 17
Latest reply

To the best of my knowledge,when someone searches for something,ebay automatically uses the worldwide default option.Buyers actually need to choose blah blah only to eliminate worldwide ie if you live in Australia,you'd need to tick show results for Australia only on left side of page.

(scratches head & hopes that makes sense)

*passes the nit shampoo*

(actually it should be flea powder since you're a fox - but I know you're not really a fox;-))

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 16 of 17
Latest reply

I list using Calculated Post from Turbo lister & end up with a lot of international sales, more than OZ actually some months.

So my listings appear OS, but that could be because the buyers Search Worldwide.

I know I don't do anything special re listings.

Message 17 of 17
Latest reply