How can you check seller ratings left by an individual buyer?

An ebay seller sent me a nasty message stating that I did not leave them 5 stars in my rating within their feedback? How do they know that I didn't?  How can you check this? I gave them 4 stars for 1 option only, rest were 5 stars?

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Starting in late April, detailed seller ratings will no longer be anonymous. Sellers will be able to run reports telling them which of their transactions received low detailed seller ratings.

however, he should not be upset by a 4 star - I would just ignore the message.

Message 2 of 15
Latest reply

Ebay recently changed its rating system for sellers. A neutral now counts in a similar way to a negative ( potentially damaging the sellers account ) and a star rating of 3 or less also damages a sellers account ( called defects ).  As part of the changes, Ebay put a link in place so that sellers can check the low star ratings  left by buyers. It is no longer anonymous. Not sure if this applies to 4 star ratings. The seller should not be contacting you though. 

Message 3 of 15
Latest reply

They can't know that, sellers can see a report that tells them which items they received 3 or less stars for (3 or less stars is considered a defect by Ebay), but they can only see the ones with defects as far as I know.  If you left them 4s and 5s, they would not know that.  If they are sending nasty messages, you can report this to Ebay or block them so that you don't accidentally buy from them again.

Cheers,

Penny
Message 4 of 15
Latest reply

Ebay put a link in place so that sellers can check the low star ratings  left by buyers. It is no longer anonymous

chameleon...are you referring to the link to defect reports in the dashboard?  Or is there another link where you can see every buyers star ratings?  If so, where is that, I didn't even know it existed.

Cheers,

Penny
Message 5 of 15
Latest reply

Hi Penny, I think you are right about the link only being for defects (  3 stars and under ). I havnt used it myself so cant offer any advice. I do know that some canny ebayers have worked out systems to identify buyers who leave less than five stars ( even before the new systen came in ) but personally never bothered to look into the methods. I recall there where a couple of threads many months ago which gave some advice, but they may have been on the powersellers forum.

Message 6 of 15
Latest reply

You can check the individual star ratings of buyers, even 4 and 5 stars, in the seller dashboard and then the Detailed Seller Rating Reports link on the left. It's a long, drawn out process the first time.

First off, you need to find 10 feedbacks where you KNOW you got 5 stars for each feedback left in the current reporting period. If your listings are public, then you can find the items numbers under each feedback, if not, go into your deleted sold items and get the item numbers from there. It helps if you have 2 tabs open for this.

In the Detailed Seller Rating Report link, click Create Reprt, then change the dropdown to Item Numbers. Give the report a name (I just use numbers e.g 1) and in the bottom box, put in those 10 item numbers separated by a comma. Then click run report. After a minute or so, refresh the page by clicking the refresh button. Using the F5 button to refresh doesn't always work with this page.  Keep refreshing. When the report is ready to read, it will change to highlighted blue and say completed. If it says 'no report', it means that one of the numbers you put in didn't have a star rating attached to it, so you'll need to start again.

When you open the report, it will hopefully say that all those have 5.0 star rating. If they do, close the report. Next to the report link that you just opened, click the dropdown at the right and then 'run similar'. Remove the last number and insert the next item number you want to check. Give the report a new name, then run it.

If you keep doing this, you can eventually find out which buyer gave you which star rating and for what. It's a long drawn out process, but once you've checked all the numbers you can, you can then easily check any new feedback you receive as it comes in. BY just changing the last number, you know that if the report changes to less than 5.0, it was that transaction that did it.

You can delete all the reports once you've checked them, but I always keep one report there with 10 5 star ratings, so when I want to check the next lot of feedback, I have the 10 5 star numbers at the ready, and I will 'run similar' off that good report.

I hope that makes sense!!!

Message 7 of 15
Latest reply

It's also possible that it was a small time seller and has

only sold a couple of things in the last month or so.

In that case,  you would certainly know

who it was that dinged your stars.

Message 8 of 15
Latest reply

OMG...are we all so paranoid that we would go to such lengths just to check if buyers left us good ratings? LOL

What is this place coming to?

Cheers,

Penny
Message 9 of 15
Latest reply

An ebay seller sent me a nasty message stating that I did not leave them 5 stars in my rating within their feedback? 

"It is against eBay policy to question buyers about the detailed seller ratings they left."

This is on the bottom of a detailed sellers rating report. I haven't found the policy yet. There was a link to the policy but it went nowhere.

Message 10 of 15
Latest reply