How do I get compensated for an item I sold on Ebay that was damaged during shipping?

I sold a perfume on Ebay and I posted the item to a different state through Australia Post. 

The buyer contacted me and said that the perfume was damaged during the shipping process. The perfume leaked through the bottle and there's no liquid left inside the bottle. As a result, the buyer asks for a refund. 

I have given the buyer full refund. As the damage was done by Aust Post, do you know what the process is for claiming for a compensation through Aust Post (As a seller)? THe value of the perfume is under $100. Many thanks.

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: How do I get compensated for an item I sold on Ebay that was damaged during shipping?

No way,  you signed to say their were no dangerous goods, and you sent it anyhow.    And now you want to go and ask for compensation for you doing the wrong thing.  

Message 11 of 14
Latest reply

Re: How do I get compensated for an item I sold on Ebay that was damaged during shipping?

You're not going to get any compensation from Auspost.

Did you ask Auspost first if they could accept it and what conditions you would have to meet in order to post it in the first place?

I doubt it.

From what I have read, it isn't always easy to get compensation from Auspost at the best of times, not for damage. No one is likely to get a refund from them for this perfume.

Even if the perfume had arrived undamaged, I think it is possible that the buyer could have made a claim on ebay for item not as described as you listed the items as new without box. As a buyer I would interpret that as unopened, not used.

Once you have used some of it, it is 'used', not new. I know you give details within the listing but I'd say there is enough of a clash that a buyer could get a full refund if they tried.

Message 12 of 14
Latest reply

bjlcr
Community Member

I found that the buyer is the one who has to take it t Post office  and make the complaint.

I had a smashed  record returned to me by a buyer and   Ireturned it to my post office.

They told me that the buyer was the one who had to return it as he recieved it smashed. ,Because now it had gone through 2 different postal systems.

They said I would have been compensated up to $100 if the buyer had taken  it and made the complaint,

Message 13 of 14
Latest reply

Irrelevant.

The Op posted (almost certainly without authorisation) dangerous goods. As the Op doesn't say the bottle was damaged, it would seem the lid came off. Fail both ways. Why would the buyer take it back to AP? It is misdescribed, by definition inadequately packed and shouldn't have been posted in the first place.

Message 14 of 14
Latest reply