How do sellers ship for so cheap in Australia ???

How do so many Australian sellers ship for so cheap? They sell items that will not fit in a letter (thicker than 20mm) for way cheaper than the cheapest Australia post contract parcel rates.

For example, search ebay for "USB car charger", select "Australia Only" in location, and there are heaps of people selling chargers (including shipping) between $2.50 and $4.00. HOW DO THEY DO IT?? Do they just sent it in a letter, and hope no one checks it is thicker than 20mm? All those items are way thicker than 20mm
Message 1 of 204
Latest reply
203 REPLIES 203

@maranock wrote:

A bit of advice to you newdeals:

“Replacing rudeness and impatience with the Golden Rule may not change the world, but it will change your world and your relationships.”
Steve Shallenberger,

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Edmund Burke

Way more suited when people start to try to dictate what people should and should not inquire about but you be patient I really hope that works out for you.

Message 81 of 204
Latest reply

@247newdeals wrote:

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

@247newdeals wrote:

Australia Only means it should be actaually be in Australia and being sold on Ebay Aus. The default setting means sold on Australia ebay in AU$ worldwide in any currency

The Australia only option means the seller only posts to Australia. If the Chinese seller only posts to Australia and no other country in the world, their listings will show up and their items will usually be shipped from China. If a US seller only posts to Australia and no other country in the world, their listings will show up and their items will usually be shipped from the US. If an Australian seller only posts to Australia and no other country in the world, their listings will show up.

If an Australian seller sells to any international location, their listings will NOT show up, even though they post to Australia as well.

Damn that explanation makes sense I will have to be in the unsure section ATM I have been looking and was believing 'Australia Only' meant the item was physically in Australia found it hard to find any real answer on Ebay only thing I found was http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/find/contextual/search-item-location.html which does say 'AU Only – This search shows only items that are physically located in the Australia' but that could be aimed at advanced search and the search beside the listing could possibly be different.

I have found sellers from China (even though not many) in the listings when the Australia Only radio button is checked and your explanation would explain that but it could also be a glitch or sellers using some way around it. May have to contact CS on this one then

Possibly one way to ensure the search results only show items that are actually in Australia is to use the distance option to refine your search. I can't remember how far it is from east to west in this great land, but depending on where you are located, would depend on the numbers you put in the boxes.

Even then, it wouldn't be guaranteed because if a Chinese seller has their items listed as being in Sydney (whether they are or not), they'd still show up. That said, you can usually tell if those ones are in Aus or not because they often list bank deposit as a payment option and it's to an Australian bank. Doesn't stop them dropshipping though.

Message 82 of 204
Latest reply

Think you've hit several nails on the head. It's all about bulk & quick turnover.
Message 83 of 204
Latest reply

@style-i-trade wrote:
Think you've hit several nails on the head. It's all about bulk & quick turnover.

Errr, and a very good product at a competitive price, repeat customers and very good customer service..............without going overboard like some sellers do with too many emails to their buyers......................

Your repeat customers are probably the most important part of that little scenario.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 84 of 204
Latest reply

Here is the thing, it been going around for ages but I guess not a lot of people k ow about this (or probably non Chinese don't know about it). There is an underground postal courier that deliver within Australia only bat goes for dirt cheap. It is run by a Chinese and probably tailored towards them. They bypass Australia post and have networks to post themselves. Sellers must meet a strict daily quota or something or else they get booted off quickly.

Much like the baby powder craze going on now, but in truth they have been clearing stock off shelves for about 5 years now after some Chinese baby got poisoned by a Chinese branded milk formula. We are always too slow to catch up on the trend.

Also fascinating to know that they also sell ciggies for $5-$10 , its Hella cheap but I guess it's illegal as it most like bypasses tax.
Message 85 of 204
Latest reply

just to note they don't use stamps but instead hide their intentions with postage paid red ink stamp.
Message 86 of 204
Latest reply

What you are describing is a courier delivery.

Nothing new about that.....many sellers use couriers.

Message 87 of 204
Latest reply

what-if-wearing-a-tinfoil-hat-is-what-they-want-you-to-do.jpg

Painters and Dockers use tin hats and couriers as well..........................................

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 88 of 204
Latest reply

Depending when shipped from china only takes 2-3 days though normal mail .....

With the new delivery system coming to effect sure all the will change....

Be interesting to see if the new priority mail will effect the chineses mail coming in .......???

Message 89 of 204
Latest reply

2-3 days from China?  I wish.

The quickest I have ever had was a week and that is rather unusual.

Message 90 of 204
Latest reply