How do sellers ship for so cheap in Australia ???

How do so many Australian sellers ship for so cheap? They sell items that will not fit in a letter (thicker than 20mm) for way cheaper than the cheapest Australia post contract parcel rates.

For example, search ebay for "USB car charger", select "Australia Only" in location, and there are heaps of people selling chargers (including shipping) between $2.50 and $4.00. HOW DO THEY DO IT?? Do they just sent it in a letter, and hope no one checks it is thicker than 20mm? All those items are way thicker than 20mm
Message 1 of 204
Latest reply
203 REPLIES 203

I got some photos put onto canvas 3 years ago. The company is in Melbourne, but the canvases are printed in China. They were sent express and I was told 3 days. I thought yeah right, I'll believe it when I see it. Sure enough, I got the email to say they were posted and 4 days later I got a card in my letterbox. I thought it was just a fluke until I ordered another lot a few months later. 3 days after the email, I got a card in my letterbox.

I don't know what the postage cost, because orders over $100 were free postage and I spent over that each time (just).

Message 91 of 204
Latest reply

maybe china has a deal that no mail goes to  sunshine west  and that other place in nsw  were the mail bounces up and back .mmmm

Message 92 of 204
Latest reply

Surprisingly, they did make a stop at Chullora! Which made it even more of a miracle that they arrived after 3 days. I have to say, I was very impressed because it's 2 days for express from here to anywhere in the country (except my local area and Sydney).

Message 93 of 204
Latest reply

This is very interesting topic that I've been wondering for some time. 

I even tried to search for business account of Australia Post ... but no ... can't get that low cost of shipping.

I think most likely the answer to this question is : 

- Underground courier services between sellers and local licensed Post Offices that let parcel items travel as letters.

- Or the sorting machines suck.

- Or it is totally legitimate to send parcel (clothes, cables, RAMs.... ) as letters so long as they fit into the letter envelops. 

Australia Post should have another category for small parcels that is thicker than 20mm and lighter than 100 grams.

Starting price for smallest parcels at $8  is just too expensive

Jeff

Message 94 of 204
Latest reply

Hi Jeff!

I totally agree Australia Post should have another category for small parcels!

I have a pair of baby thongs I want to post. They only weigh 50gms & measure 13cm x 8cm x 5cm packed together. I only want to sell them for $5 but it turns out that postage cost will be round $7.50 no matter how I package them.  

This is so expensive & so wrong, especially when Ebay wack on another 10% in FV fees & then Paypal take another 2.6% when they get your payment. There seems to be no way around it legally.

I have so much baby stuff in amazing condition that someone else could benefit from, but having to charge these postage costs on top of the purchase price just doesnt seem worth it. My only option would be to give them to charity or throw them in the bin. I thought I might try to sell all the baby stuff to help with the purchase cost of new stuff. I'm not well off & every dollar counts, especially with growing kids!

Lynda

Message 95 of 204
Latest reply

Apart from this being an old thread...........you're kidding, right?

I have a pair of baby thongs I want to post. They only weigh 50gms & measure 13cm x 8cm x 5cm packed together. I only want to sell them for $5 but it turns out that postage cost will be round $7.50 no matter how I package them.  

Baby thongs 5 cm thick.    Care to look at the measurement again?

They must be platform thongs

Some baby clothes can be flattened into a large letter, and avoid the parcel cost.

You need to research your options

Message 96 of 204
Latest reply

I have sent children's cotton dresses and t shirts in a4 envelopes and only needed two stamps. I put them in a large zip back and breath the air out. Then it goes through that little test thing the post office has. 

Message 97 of 204
Latest reply

Rubbish .. they have to pay for the product, it snot all profit 

Message 98 of 204
Latest reply

esayaf
Community Member
Is the sun over the yard arm already. Can't tell here it's too cloudy
Message 99 of 204
Latest reply

Message 100 of 204
Latest reply