How long to wait for buyer to pay?

Hi,

Someone bought an item of mine (buy it now) and emailed to say they'll pay next week, fair enough I said.  No issue (yet) but I am wondering how long to wait for them to pay?  Personally I'd wait a week beyond what they said, but do ebay rules on non-paying bidders etc have time limits?  If I need to raise a non-paying bidder dispute, is there a time limit I need to do so by?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Thirty days I believe.....I used to buy regularly from a seller who was happy to combine my items for up to 30 days.  I used to pay about day 28 or 29 and there was no problem.   If I went over 30 days the oldest items just disappeared.

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

32 days. Close enough lyndal.Smiley Happy

image host
Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

I think you were generous allowing them a week when ebay gives sellers the option to start a dispute after 4 days.

In the circumstances I would probably allow them a couple of days over whatever date they said they would pay by.

But then I would message them to check that they still intend to pay/are interested.

To me, the onus should be on the buyers here to keep you informed.

If they ask for extra time after next week, I would only extend it by 4 days. or whatever you feel comfortable with. But don't just leave it as "Yes, you can have extra time."  Set an exact date you would expect payment by, then you both know where you are.

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

If a buyer asks me for a deferred payment date I am happy to oblige however I do tell them that if payment is not made by the end of the specified day I will have to open an unpaid item dispute. I am doing them a favour and am certainly not going to waste my time sending out reminders or waiting any longer. First thing next morning if they still haven't paid the dispute is opened. They can close it any time by paying.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

I wait 7 days.  I will firstly send a reminder but if no payemt or response after another 2 days I then go unpaid item dispute.

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply