How risky is it to sell a camera to a buyer in Spain?

A buyer in Spain has purchased a second hand camera for $4k through my other eBay business account.

They only have 2 feedback ratings, but have been a member since 2017, so before I ship I'd be interested to hear if I'm being an idiot sending this & it's likely to be a scam?! Should I just refund?

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Yes, you should cancel and refund with “problem with buyer’s address”.

You’re relatively inexperienced as a seller; I would strongly suggest you go into your settings to exclude international buyers. For expensive items in particular, there is a substantial risk.

You should change both your postage settings to exclude international postage, and set your buyer requirements to exclude international eBayers from bidding on or buying your items.

❝How to prevent international buyers from purchasing your items

Given the nature of eBay's global marketplace, eBay listings may be viewed and purchased by, and posted to, buyers around the world. Such listings may be shown on the same or a different site on which the seller listed the item, based on the seller's postage settings. If you do not want your item to be sold to buyers internationally, you can exclude countries or regions you don't want to post to by adjusting your postage settings. If your item sells, you will be bound by the User Agreement and policies, including any buyer protection policies, of the site on which the item is sold and, potentially, the laws of the country of the relevant site. Buyers affected by your requirements may still see your listings, but they won't be able to bid on or buy your items.

To exclude international postage for all your listings:

1. Go to Manage postage settings.
  2. Next to Exclude postage locations, select Edit.
  3. Select the boxes for all the countries and regions you want to exclude.
  4. If you want these settings to apply to your current active listings as well as future listings, select the box Also apply to current listings.
  5. Select Save.

Setting buyer requirements: You can also set your preferences by setting buyer requirements. These preferences will be used as the default for all of your future listings, and, if you use the new listing tool, you can make listing-specific changes to them at the time of listing.

Individual listings: If you sell using the new listing tool, you can exclude or include international postage for individual listings.

When you create your listing, in the Postage section, adjust your international postage preferences and excluded countries list as appropriate:

1. In the International postage subsection, select No international postage from the drop-down list, or
  2. In the Exclude postage locations subsection, select Create exclusion list to indicate countries/regions to which you do not want to post.❞

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/policies/selling-policies/international-selling-policy?id=4689

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Yes, you should cancel and refund with “problem with buyer’s address”.

You’re relatively inexperienced as a seller; I would strongly suggest you go into your settings to exclude international buyers. For expensive items in particular, there is a substantial risk.

You should change both your postage settings to exclude international postage, and set your buyer requirements to exclude international eBayers from bidding on or buying your items.

❝How to prevent international buyers from purchasing your items

Given the nature of eBay's global marketplace, eBay listings may be viewed and purchased by, and posted to, buyers around the world. Such listings may be shown on the same or a different site on which the seller listed the item, based on the seller's postage settings. If you do not want your item to be sold to buyers internationally, you can exclude countries or regions you don't want to post to by adjusting your postage settings. If your item sells, you will be bound by the User Agreement and policies, including any buyer protection policies, of the site on which the item is sold and, potentially, the laws of the country of the relevant site. Buyers affected by your requirements may still see your listings, but they won't be able to bid on or buy your items.

To exclude international postage for all your listings:

1. Go to Manage postage settings.
  2. Next to Exclude postage locations, select Edit.
  3. Select the boxes for all the countries and regions you want to exclude.
  4. If you want these settings to apply to your current active listings as well as future listings, select the box Also apply to current listings.
  5. Select Save.

Setting buyer requirements: You can also set your preferences by setting buyer requirements. These preferences will be used as the default for all of your future listings, and, if you use the new listing tool, you can make listing-specific changes to them at the time of listing.

Individual listings: If you sell using the new listing tool, you can exclude or include international postage for individual listings.

When you create your listing, in the Postage section, adjust your international postage preferences and excluded countries list as appropriate:

1. In the International postage subsection, select No international postage from the drop-down list, or
  2. In the Exclude postage locations subsection, select Create exclusion list to indicate countries/regions to which you do not want to post.❞

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/policies/selling-policies/international-selling-policy?id=4689

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

This is what could potentially go wrong, especially if you need to arrange return postage: https://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Selling/What-recourse-do-I-have-when-eBay-quot-gives-quot-an-item-t...

Best to do as Countess says - international sales are fraught.

Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

Flash looking camera, high value, relatively inexperienced seller.  Bound to attract plenty of buyers looking for a steal, perfect item for an international buyer looking for a freebie.

CANCEL.

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

Sadly I agree with everyone else.  But seriously you offered the sale to the international market.  Live with your mistake and honour the sale.  And remember we all started as buyers with zero feedback once,  so they could be an honest buyer.

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

I'd cancel - better to be safe than sorry.

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

It is screaming a scammer targeting you

I would'nt want to risk it

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

@sugar249 wrote:

Sadly I agree with everyone else.  But seriously you offered the sale to the international market.  Live with your mistake and honour the sale.  And remember we all started as buyers with zero feedback once,  so they could be an honest buyer.

Good grief. Everyone else has said it screams scammer, yet you believe this seller should just suck it up and post off a $4k camera? With a fairly high chance of losing it?

Are you out of your mind? Seriously.

Or are you just stirring us?

When a person makes a mistake, they don't always have to 'live with it'.

If you can fix it, you fix it.

This is not a matter of morality, it is a business decision. 

Sure, I would not have offered it on the international market but my advice to graceunderfire now would be-

Cancel that sale

Change your settings to Australian sales only, as countess outlined

It is highly likely to be a scam and even if it isn't, the buyer will still get a full refund.

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

@springyzone wrote:

@sugar249 wrote:

Good grief. Everyone else has said it screams scammer, yet you believe this seller should just suck it up and post off a $4k camera? With a fairly high chance of losing it?

Luckily we still live in a democracy,  and just because everyone else says one thing it doesnt mean we all have to fall in line and agree. Although if you actually bothered to read what I said,  I agreed with others that it may be a scam.  I just differed in my approach to the solution.

I guess I have a different level of morality to others.

I know you seem to take offence to a few of my comments,  but that is your opinion and you are welcome to them. I am aware why and I make no apologies.

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

@sugar249 wrote:

@springyzone wrote:

@sugar249 wrote:

Luckily we still live in a democracy,  and just because everyone else says one thing it doesnt mean we all have to fall in line and agree. Although if you actually bothered to read what I said,  I agreed with others that it may be a scam.  I just differed in my approach to the solution.

I guess I have a different level of morality to others.

I know you seem to take offence to a few of my comments,  but that is your opinion and you are welcome to them. I am aware why and I make no apologies.

No you don't necessarily have a higher level of morality than the rest of us. I think that is pretty arrogant.

It is not immoral to cancel a sale if you are scared of a scam.

Actually how often have we seen you say you are adding people to your party list ie banned from buying from you. Yet they have never bought from you. You are basing it on suspicion they could be trouble. Similar thing.

I don't take offence to your comments as such. It is just I disagree sometimes. And I thought it was bad advice to give a seller coming on here with a worry about being scammed.

Other times I agree with some of your comments and kudo them.

It has nothing to do with you personally.  It is always directed at the comment itself.

If it came across as me always attacking you then I am sorry.

I am most intrigued by what on earth you think you know about me that you say you know "why" I said anything.

I am not in any little group if that is what you think. My opinions are my own and no one tries to influence me.

I thought I should clear that up.

But I would like to know exactly what you meant. Just out of interest.

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply