How to lodge a formal complaint against Ebay customer service?

I'm a seller who is losing daily sales due to Ebay customer service refusing to act on a void item not received case & an 84 year old, new user who is asking to close case but can't navigate the platform properly, despite my attempts to help. The customer service has been atrocious (not sure if it is India now?), it's costing me money & I would like to lodge a complaint so this doesn't happen to other users. Please help.

Message 1 of 28
Latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Re: How to lodge a formal complaint against Ebay customer service?

What he needs to do is go into his purchase history and scroll through until he sees the listing it will show case details then he needs to click on it and it will show him to either click close case or send message he needs to click close case.

You can ask ebay until the cows come home and because it was a transaction out of ebay ie bank deposit ebay won't intervene 

Message 11 of 28
Latest reply

I have tried to guide the buyer but he is struggling & I'm the one caught in the middle being affected. Ebay might not care about it but it shouldn't diminish their responsibilities to remedy & correct it when it's an obvious error - especially if it continues to have an affect for the next 21 business days!

Message 12 of 28
Latest reply

I am afraid I have to agree with other posts, NO WAY will your sales be affected by this. 

It is February, which is a well known Downturn in Sales month for everyone, B&M stores, online stores etc, people tend to stop spending coz all their Christmas credit card bills are due now. Check your sales for last Feb.

As to the 'escalation' with eBay, and not putting up with it, not really sure what you can do, as said eBay has washed thier hands of it, so good luck.

Message 13 of 28
Latest reply

All the buyer has to do is click close case or inform someone around him to do it for him.

And it's not that ebay don't care it's that it's out of their hand because of direct deposit.

I had a similar situation involving direct deposit and ebay wouldn't budge.

You're just going to have to let it all time out if the buyer doesn't close.

Message 14 of 28
Latest reply

I have consistant daily sales, it has been affected. I am also an experienced seller & Ebay like any other marketplace still has responsibilites to all parties it manages.

Message 15 of 28
Latest reply

It's not out of Ebay's hands though, the item not received case has been opened through Ebay's platform. They acknowledge the item is not covered under buyer protection but they are choosing not to close it even though the buyer acknowledges he wishes to close & he didn't make the payment. Further both parties have the right to escalate a case for review (whatever the payment method) but that option has somehow disappeared (but still linked on the help pages)  

Message 16 of 28
Latest reply

Beware of confirmation bias when assessing such things - it runs rampant in humans.

eBay CS can and do close cases, you just have to chat to the right department, which is difficult sometimes. Is there enough written by the buyer in messages to indicate succinctly - "I did not pay for the item and I want to close this case"?

If so, hop on to chat by any means necessary, ask to be transferred to the payments &  disputes department, tell them what needs to be done and refer to the message from the buyer that confirms it. (This is what I have done in similar circumstances, anyway, always closed without hassle if you talk to the right dept. - the bigger problem is that CS won't actually tell you you're talking to the wrong dept, they'll just say stuff like "we can't close this case.")

Message 17 of 28
Latest reply

Please explain how you think this case is affecting your sales.

Buyers cannot see there is a case, let alone a problem.

The case will time out eventually.

Message 18 of 28
Latest reply

Thank you, I will heed your advice. Yes, I believe the buyers instruction & comment on payment is fairly clear. All the best!

Message 19 of 28
Latest reply

?? Because I understand sales metrics, know what is selling, frequency & since the case was opened the graph for a whole class of products has essentially gone to zero from a consistent sales point ?? With regard to other buyers not seeing a case opened - that's irrelevant. Ebay uses algorythms (like other platforms) to determine best match position, rankings etc If for instance 2 more cases are opened whilst this void one is open you think that won't affect metrics? 

Message 20 of 28
Latest reply