How to speak to someone?

sjay2k
Community Member

I participated in an unlimited listing promo last month.

I currently have 3,500 listings but need to cancel 2,000 of them in the next couple of weeks to avoid paying insertion fees.

I also have another 6,000 listings on my website that I would like to list using the eBay sync tool.

I tried calling up the general eBay number but they seemed to tell me that (1) there is no account manager or similar person who I can talk to, (2) their marketing department, who is able to offer promotions for specific accounts, is "back end" only and "does not take calls".

This is all a bit ridiculous.  Has anyone been able to contact someone at eBay who has authority to make decisions?  Thanks everyone 🙂

Message 1 of 31
Latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Re: How to speak to someone?

@sjay2k wrote:
Chameleon, I am merely trying to talk to someone from eBay. I don't understand the basis for your speculation, or why you feel the need to respond at all.

I currently have 3,500 listings but need to cancel 2,000 of them in the next couple of weeks to avoid paying insertion fees.

I also have another 6,000 listings on my website that I would like to list using the eBay sync tool.

I tried calling up the general eBay number but they seemed to tell me that (1) there is no account manager or similar person who I can talk to, (2) their marketing department, who is able to offer promotions for specific accounts, is "back end" only and "does not take calls".

This is all a bit ridiculous.  Has anyone been able to contact someone at eBay who has authority to make decisions?  Thanks everyone Smiley Happy

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Your opening post clearly states that you wish to contact an ebay rep. who can offer promotions for specific accounts ( ie. yours ). Others have already pointed out that unless you are a major player on the site such as Harvey Norman, ebay do not make " special deals " for small individual sellers. 

There are really only a couple of options available to you if you want to list 9500 items on ebay on an ongoing basis. The cheapest would be to set up six featured stores which would splinter your stock and would not make the best use of your listings. As I noted in my previous post, the only realistic option is for you to open an anchor store. Pay the $6000 odd dollars in store fees per year, sell lots of stuff and start making some serious money.

You are selling a reasonable number of items and while many are only a few dollars, some are making good money. With 9500 listings and the exposure of ebays global platform, your business has the potential to be a good earner. 

Sorry I must be missing something, but when you have got a potentially good business model, why are you trying to avoid paying ebay for the services you will be using and which will be an integral component in making your business successful ? 

You cant reach ebays global pool of buyers without using their services. It costs ebay a lot of money to run the company and provide you with the platform. The fees are not excessive when compared to other retail options and ebay are not exactly making a fortune out of the whole show. If you don't wish to pay for the professional online services you use, who is supposed to pick up the tab ?

Message 21 of 31
Latest reply

@sjay2k wrote:

Thanks kopenhagen.  Unfortunately I can't see the free relist option, probably beceause I'm listing via my site's API.

As soon as you select GTC for the listing duration, the auto relist box disappears so it won't be showing on any of your GTC listings. Try doing a 30-day listing and see if the auto relist box shows.  If it does, do 600 new listings every month (basic store) and tick the auto relist box so that they run for 9 months.  Over 9 months that'll give you 5,400 listings (minus any that sell).  Be aware that once you sell over 10K in a 12-month period you'll lose auto relist until your sales drop below 10K again. 

Unfortunately, you can't change from GTC to 30 days without ending listings and starting again so it'll take you time to build up.  If you can get the auto relists on 30 days, subscribe to the next store level for a couple of months until you get more listings up and then downgrade it and let everything auto relist for several months.

Message 22 of 31
Latest reply

@chameleon54 wrote:

@sjay2k wrote:
Chameleon, I am merely trying to talk to someone from eBay. I don't understand the basis for your speculation, or why you feel the need to respond at all.

This is all a bit ridiculous.  Has anyone been able to contact someone at eBay who has authority to make decisions?  Thanks everyone Smiley Happy

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Your opening post clearly states that you wish to contact an ebay rep. who can offer promotions for specific accounts ( ie. yours ). Others have already pointed out that unless you are a major player on the site such as Harvey Norman, ebay do not make " special deals " for small individual sellers. 

There are really only a couple of options available to you if you want to list 9500 items on ebay on an ongoing basis. The cheapest would be to set up six featured stores which would splinter your stock and would not make the best use of your listings. As I noted in my previous post, the only realistic option is for you to open an anchor store. Pay the $6000 odd dollars in store fees per year, sell lots of stuff and start making some serious money.

You are selling a reasonable number of items and while many are only a few dollars, some are making good money. With 9500 listings and the exposure of ebays global platform, your business has the potential to be a good earner. 

Sorry I must be missing something, but when you have got a potentially good business model, why are you trying to avoid paying ebay for the services you will be using and which will be an integral component in making your business successful ? 

You cant reach ebays global pool of buyers without using their services. It costs ebay a lot of money to run the company and provide you with the platform. The fees are not excessive when compared to other retail options and ebay are not exactly making a fortune out of the whole show. If you don't wish to pay for the professional online services you use, who is supposed to pick up the tab ?

I'm confused (and perhaps a little flattered) by your level of interest, but I would be grateful if you would refrain from speculating about (a) what I want to discuss with eBay, (b) eBay's potential response, (c) my business.  Best wishes for the new year.

Message 23 of 31
Latest reply

1. Unless you are a high end, big name seller with an anchor store, as in Good Guys, Peters of Kensington, Harvey Norman etc, or sell insane amounts each month, you don't have access to an account manager.

2. Unless you fall into the category of those high end, big names, or sell insane amounts each month, you have zero chance of eBay giving you a promotion that isn't open to everyone else. You are not special enough to have promotions issued to you. You might think you are, but you aren't. Sorry.

3. You are a nobody to eBay. You are but a blip in their system. It's not their fault you went on a listing frenzy using the GTC option rather than 30 days with 8 free relists. They don't care if you have to end 2000 of them. Really, they don't. 

4. I think you've already been told all of this......several times.

5. I don't think I'd be having a go at a member who has a wealth of knowledge, and until recently ran a very successful full time eBay business. I saw nothing in his post that was anything but good advice. You already said what you wanted to discuss with eBay. No speculation needed.

Message 24 of 31
Latest reply

@sjay2k wrote:

I'm confused (and perhaps a little flattered) by your level of interest, but I would be grateful if you would refrain from speculating about (a) what I want to discuss with eBay, (b) eBay's potential response, (c) my business.  Best wishes for the new year.

Maybe it would have been better to not provide information about your business, and then information about who you're trying to get in touch with, in a discussion forum, if you don't want that information to colour the replies. 

It is hardly surprising, or confusing, that people correlated the information that you chose to supply in the first part of yor post (number of current listings, how they got listed - i.e. during a promotion, number of poetential listings, but the impending ending of a large swathe of them so you don't pay instertion fees on them), to the information that you supplied in the second part of your post (wanting to speak directly to someone that is able to offer promotions). 

To call that correlation - one you made yourself, be it intentionally or not, by virtue of including these two pieces of information in a post, "speculation" comes across a bit odd. 

I mean, if I said "I got a coupon for a free meal at a restaurant, and really liked the meal, does anyone know how I can get in touch with the people who provide these coupons?", and a bunch of people started thinking I wanted another free meal, it would look a bit odd if I turned around and was just like "you don't know me, I just want to compliment them on their font choice".

Not saying I know why you want to talk to someone from promotions, or anyone else from eBay, but you can hardly blame people for putting 2 and 2 together and getting the most obvious 4, when you're the one who quantified the 2's.

Message 25 of 31
Latest reply

ezd_7146
Community Member
Hi we got abandoned, kim Jenkins 1 cross bow $560 all up $836 was taken out, from san Jo's I'm aussie couldnt read that's my banking on mobile digger or DIGGERET I'll gi to the bank up the road they have like people to track down cheers kim jenkins
Message 26 of 31
Latest reply

ezd_7146
Community Member

Message 27 of 31
Latest reply

Please explain!

I have no idea what your question is.

Message 28 of 31
Latest reply

I'm shocked, Lyndal. I thought you could translate anything.

Who said teaching kids to spell and construct a sentence was pointless.

Message 29 of 31
Latest reply

The only thing that remotely makes sense out of that is that you bought a crossbow.

Crossbows are classified as firearms in Australia, where you claim to be. They are not only prohibited imports, but need to be purchased through licensed AUSTRALIAN dealers, I believe.

If you tried to import one and it got stopped at Customs, that is your fault and you weren't abandoned by anybody.

If that's not the case, please come back and explain the 'problem' in English.

Message 30 of 31
Latest reply