I NEED HELP!!!!

So heres what happened.

I had just listed my second item on ebay:

500 BULK LOT OF POKEMON CARDS

which were my brothers (11 YO) that he wanted to sell to make some money.

and a person bids on it and wins for 59.99 + 20.00 shipping

I post the item whilst i still have 100% feedback and forget about it

a few days later I receive a message from the buyer saying that i sold them "bootleg" pokemon cards and they want their money back.

I looked at their feedback and apparently she had sold fakes herself to some other people so i said to her that she is making to big of a deal and that I would refund the full amount and asked her if she could destroy the cards.

The buyer then gets angry at me, leaves negative feedback (dropping it down to 50% possitive rating) and opens a dispute on paypal.

tell me honestly, Would you buy off a seller with a 50% positive rating?

My question to you is how can I fix this (the rating) and would it be worth closing my account and opening another one?

-Joshua

Message 1 of 32
Latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Re: I NEED HELP!!!!

Yeah, I forget how tech savvy kids are these days!

Message 21 of 32
Latest reply

Who are you talking to crow?

Message 22 of 32
Latest reply

@1997crows1998 wrote:

@1781anna wrote:

And NEVER EVER put rubber bands around trading cards. It is a surefire way to ruin them. I am surprised you got bids on them.

You are an Fu**ing Idiot also and the mods on this site let you get  away with it you have to be one of them. I have reported this post about 5 hours ago and nothing has been done about it, well time for action

What is reportable in that post crow? 

The Mods will not remove it if it is not breaking the rules.

Message 23 of 32
Latest reply

@jjanssen12345 wrote:

I asked him after the dispute and he said that the people at THE $2 SHOP said they were genuine (at $1.50 a pack none the less). I had to pay the $20 shipping (Auspost) that I cant get back

what are you on about ???? the buyer paid postage not you..

the listing clearley states postage as $20 via 3kg satchel..

if i was the buyer and got ripped $59 for fake cards plus $20 post, id be jumping up and down too..

Message 24 of 32
Latest reply

The OP refunded the item cost plus postage so he is out of pocket for the original postage.....but that is what happens when you sell fakes.

Message 25 of 32
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

The OP refunded the item cost plus postage so he is out of pocket for the original postage.....but that is what happens when you sell fakes.

i dont get it..

the seller charged the buyer $20 post for the item to be sent out according to the listing..so the buyer got back what they paid for (the $59 for the cards and $20 post)..seller didnt pay postage from thier own pocket. the buyer did.

Message 26 of 32
Latest reply

let me explain it a bit easier.  buyer paid $79 for cards+postage  .seller went to the post office and paid cash postage out of his pocket $$$$.   

now seller returns to the buyer $79.       now the seller has no fake cards  or his postage he paid at the post office, the post office is not going to give the seller back his money.   [so between him and his little brother they lost the cards and the postage.

even easier.

the buyer paid $79  but got back $79  =  0

the sellers got $79  and paid back $79   but  paid  the postage fee,to the post office but did not get that back.  sellers lost postage fee + cards.

Message 27 of 32
Latest reply

@jjanssen12345 wrote:

So heres what happened.

a few days later I receive a message from the buyer saying that i sold them "bootleg" pokemon cards and they want their money back.

I looked at their feedback and apparently she had sold fakes herself to some other people so i said to her that she is making to big of a deal and that I would refund the full amount and asked her if she could destroy the cards.

The buyer then gets angry at me, leaves negative feedback (dropping it down to 50% possitive rating) and opens a dispute on paypal.

My question to you is how can I fix this (the rating) and would it be worth closing my account and opening another one?

-Joshua

and what kind of reaction were you expecting -Joshua ?

Message 28 of 32
Latest reply

Joshua - you are not the first and then will be plenty more out there who do something like this.

I can see that you were just naive and didn't realise that the cards were fake and that you hadn't intended to be dishonest. I am sure everyone at some stage in their life has done something silly without realising it but the positive thing is that it is a really good learning experience for you.

The first thing I would do is leave a follow up comment to the buyers feedback so if you use this account again for selling others can see you refunded the buyer once you realised they were fakes and you admitted you made a mistake.

You could follow up with something along the lines of:-

Buyer refunded in full as it was 100% my mistake.

You can also improve the feedback percentage by buying a few things.

Message 29 of 32
Latest reply

So heres what happened.

-Joshua

-------------------------------

Here is what i suspect happened.

Joshua did the listing himself, as a favour to the brother, to make some money.

He didn't realise the cards were fake. The whole ad is a bit on the amateurish side-lack of detail on overall condition of cards, lack of photos, it says 99c auction but as far as I can make out, bidding started at $39. Take a bit more care with listings in future would be my advice here.

Joshua did the right thing once he was told the cards were fake, he offered to refund total cost and postage.

But mistake #1, Joshua, was telling the customer it was no big deal. If, as you say, that customer has herself fallen into the trap of selling fakes, then she should have some sympathy, you're right there. But next time if you strike a problem with a sale, just apologise, offer a solution & keep any angry thoughts to yourself. To the customer, any problem is a big deal so don't go saying anything to set their backs up.

Mistake #2. Check your items properly before you list them. Whether the item is fake or not, you're going to cop a battering on your feedback and ratings if items quality is under what the buyer was expecting. So always give a general description and be upfront about any faults. It's up to you to make sure soemthing is genuine before you list it.

Mistake #3. It's your ebay account, you are the adult, you stay in control of it. No ifs, no buts, no excuses. You need to have that discussion with your brother if he did indeed use your account (I personally doubt that part). If he did, he just used someone else's account without permission and you need to crack the whip and tell him in no uncertain terms that is not on. Charge him the listing fees.

And yes, shut down your present account, start again but start smarter.

Message 30 of 32
Latest reply