I'm obviously a numpty because I didn't know . . .

All this time, I've been thinking that when a buyer clicks on "Australia Only" to refine search results, that they'd get items/sellers in Australia only.

Wrong.

I noticed that, when searching for my own items, they would not come up when clicking "Australia Only". Instead, they were listed under "items from eBay international sellers". Yet, I was on the Australian site with an Australian account and all of my items (and addresses!) are in Australia.

So . . . after speaking to eBay, I found out that "Australia Only" shows sellers that post only to Australia. If you post to any other country, your items will show up under "international sellers", they said.

The implication is that if you have a seller who is located in China (and is posting from China) but that is targeting the Australian market and only posting to Australia, their items will show up if a buyer clicks "Australia Only". And if you're an Australian sellers in Australia but you also post to Azerbaijan and Nepal, your items won't show up.

Silly me. Here I was thinking that clicking on "Australia Only" was useful because buyers could find items located in Australia. No, instead it allows them to find sellers that only post to Australia, and nowhere else. Because who wants to buy from an Australian seller who posts to Australia and Russia? Gross.

/end rant

(Seriously, am I just being really daft and missing something important here?)

Message 1 of 23
Latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Okay, I just did a search for "black pants" and ticked "Australia Only". Plenty of those listings say they post worldwide. I am so confused . . . because my listings that post worldwide disappear if you click "Australia Only" . . . and eBay said it was because I was posting worldwide. Smiley Mad

Maybe it's some categories and not others (which again, doesn't make ANY sense, but this is eBay . . .).

I'll call them when I have the patience, and ask them to explain the black pants search 😛

Message 11 of 23
Latest reply

Just did an Australia Only search for Taylor Swift in music - my listing showed up.

Message 12 of 23
Latest reply

I put some of my best products on international post because I thought I should open up new avenues.

So, I could have damaged by best market (aussie buyers)!!!!!!!!!!!!

OUTRAGIOUS!!!!!!!!!

Message 13 of 23
Latest reply

It is glitchy Friday - maybe that explains it !  Makes about as much sense as anything else

Message 14 of 23
Latest reply

@mbselections00 wrote:

It is glitchy Friday - maybe that explains it !  Makes about as much sense as anything else

I originally thought that too (because I discovered this problem three Fridays ago). But it has been ongoing since then. It was referred it to the mysterious and elusive technical team that nobody is ever allowed to contact or speak to directly. I have spoken to about 5 people about this, and all of them said that I needed to post only within Australia to show up in "Australia Only" searches.

I wonder what they'll say when I call and point out that it isn't happening to other sellers.

All I can say is: check your listings! I'll post again when I've called them, but I don't have the patience for it today 😛

Message 15 of 23
Latest reply

Hmmmmm ?  That may be the case, but I looked on my iphone app (which I rarely use as I find the PC interface much better), and under 'refine' you can select "item Location".  There you can select "Australia Only" or "Worldwide" ..... so I wonder if actually is Australia only or just post to Australia ....... very confusing indeed.

Message 16 of 23
Latest reply

I just looked up "iphone case" as a good example of an item with lots OS and lots in Australia.

When I select "Only Australia" ..... only those items located in Australia come up.

When I click on "worldwide" .... the items come up from all locations that will post to Australia.

That's how it looks to me.

Or as other posters have said here and on previous forums .... is this one of the many 'friday glitches" ?

Message 17 of 23
Latest reply

It can be confusing on the app, yes you can select aussie or world wide, dont make much difference.

i decided to test it further by going by item distance of 200 klms from my location, i got a seller who is in n.s.w.

guess where the seller is accualy located.... Yep china.

*we may be human, but we are still animals*
Message 18 of 23
Latest reply

I have just searched half a dozen of my items using this chameleon account and the "Australia only" search. All of the items where listed for worldwide post and all showed under the "Australia Only" search perameters.

It seems to be working OK for my items.

Message 19 of 23
Latest reply

Seems to be working ok for me tonight too, but I did comment on another thread some time back, that I couldn't find a single listing of mine at the time - perhaps it depends on whether you're in the lights on or off cycle ?  Just a thought, as often there does not appear to be any rational explanation for these things - but they sure as heck do happen Smiley Frustrated

Message 20 of 23
Latest reply