IS A BONE A BONE?

FAUX MEANS FAKE/FALSE.

MANY SELLERS HAVE PUT THE WORD "FAUX" BEFORE THE WORD "BONE"  IN THEIR ITEM DESCRIPTIONS.

IF, TO KEEP EBAY HAPPY, THIS COMPLIES WITH EBAY'S SO-CALLED IVORY POLICY, IT ALSO PROVIDES A LOOPHOLE TO BUYERS.

IF A BUYER PURCHASES A FAUX-BONE KNIFE, RECEIVES IT AND DISCOVERS THAT ITS REALLY BONE, SAID BUYER IS TECHNICALLY ENTITLED TO A FULL REFUND BECAUSE ITS "NOT AS DESCRIBED"

DADDYKOOL

Message 1 of 55
Latest reply
54 REPLIES 54

IS A BONE A BONE?

@collect247 wrote:
ie: they are very upset, devastated, traumatized, disturbed, greatly disappointed, ... on and on. Well I'm all those about ebay haha

it's a big club!

Message 11 of 55
Latest reply

IS A BONE A BONE?

crow & koo -

like I said, buying (and maybe even selling) on Ebay is making people sick!

A regular health hazard.

Message 12 of 55
Latest reply

IS A BONE A BONE?

I read this thread with great interest. Are you telling me that eBay warned you not to list this particular knife, you did so anyway, and got a one month suspension? I'd really count my losses and move on, nothing is worth that much.
Message 13 of 55
Latest reply

IS A BONE A BONE?

Don't worry, I had a bit of a laugh at your previous post.Smiley Tongue

It was pretty obviously tongue in cheek.

Message 14 of 55
Latest reply

IS A BONE A BONE?

saarzi
Community Member

Whats your point? I know Im a bit slow... but your post could be read numerous ways.  So just curious.

Im pretty sure anyone over the age of 10 whose first language is English knows what the word 'faux' means.

If I brought a knife that said FAUX bone, and it turned out to be real bone, Id complain, and report the seller.  If I wanted real bone, Id buy real bone. I think, particularly in Australia, various issues with animal products are fairly well known, not just the illegal trade in animal parts, and the socal and cultural issues, but the biological ones as well.  

Also, youd be pretty dumb to sell something that was an authentic bone or ivory product (not home made or made in China quality), or a number of any other animals parts on Ebay, when there are numerous other avenues where you will get a much much better price for it (unless youre desperate), let alone sell the real thing as a fake one (especially at auction).

Message 15 of 55
Latest reply

IS A BONE A BONE?

Yes it was tongue in cheek but none the less a stupid thing to write on the boards, but hey seen lots of stupid things on here.

there's a easy solution if ebay makes you sick.

Message 16 of 55
Latest reply

IS A BONE A BONE?

I think (my opinion only) is that the opening poster was putting the 'hypothetical' scenario out there ..... perhaps sellers who are using the term "faux bone" in their listing are just including that term, when actually it is real bone/ivory ....... just to get around ebay's listing restrictions ........ maybe that is what daddykool was saying, or maybe I've got it wrong?

Message 17 of 55
Latest reply

IS A BONE A BONE?

@aussie.grazing.boards wrote:
I read this thread with great interest. Are you telling me that eBay warned you not to list this particular knife, you did so anyway, and got a one month suspension? I'd really count my losses and move on, nothing is worth that much.

I MUST answer.

My original post was a PS to a previous email I sent to eBay.

Yes, I had 2 account suspensions and items removed (for 3 days) because they were in technical violation to this policy.

HOWEVER, I said at the time "You missed one"  Please check to see if OK. (No response).

I also had some World War 2 "Youth Knives" which were removed in a flash as being against the racist/Nazi policy??

I sell GENUINE HISTORIC replicas too, bearing the "crooked cross". Only in Australia does the holocaust NOT exist according to ebay.

Coont my lossess???? 

DK

Message 18 of 55
Latest reply

IS A BONE A BONE?

Yes OP is really saying that faux bone is a way for a seller to get around ebays policy but also it's a way for a buyer to end up with the real deal and money back because once they realize it's real bone then the item wasn't as described hence full refund to buyer if they open a case.

So why then try and sell it as a fake?

Message 19 of 55
Latest reply

IS A BONE A BONE?

DK, here is a suggestion. Do you have your own site or blog that you can direct people to. Now there is nothing about linking to outside sites (as long as the items cannot be purchased there) that is against ebay policy.

So create a blog, list the suspect knives on there with title and the price. Put a link to the blog in each of you ebay approved listings saying something like more knives available click on the link to view. Then if they want them you can make a private listing for the buyer without a title that will grab ebays attention.

Message 20 of 55
Latest reply