If a customer buys an item and pays for it can they then just turn around and ask you to cancel?

If a customer buys an item and pays for it can they then just turn around and ask you to cancel?

This happened before so i cancelled via proper ebay protcol and I was still slammed with a reversal fee by paypal. 

what did I do wrong??

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: If a customer buys an item and pays for it can they then just turn around and ask you to cancel?

It happens occasionally - someone goes through the whole procedure, pays and then 2 minutes later turns around and requests a cancellation.

I always process the cancellation and look at it as an opportunity to add that person to my BBL.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: If a customer buys an item and pays for it can they then just turn around and ask you to cancel?

PayPal will refund their fees, but will keep the 30c non refundable transaction fee. As they have provided a service, by giving you the money initially, then providing you the service to refund it, they're within their rights to keep that 30c. If it bothers you that much, refund minus the 30c, so you're not out of pocket.

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

It happens occasionally - someone goes through the whole procedure, pays and then 2 minutes later turns around and requests a cancellation.

I always process the cancellation and look at it as an opportunity to add that person to my BBL.

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

Had an OS buyer buy and pay then the next day ask me to cancel as they found one cheaper (less expensive postage) locally.

I cancelled and refunded.

I don't look at this maliciously. If they can't find one in the future they know I have the product and may even tell friends/family they can get this item from me.

A fast and efficient refund/cancellation can only work in my favour.

I think it is good customer service.

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

If it were just .30c I wouldnt care, but its like $1.58 and if you string enough of those togeather that costs.

And I have no problem with my customers whatsoever Im not blaming them either

What the hell??? Paypals rights????   The question I was asking was what I was doing wrong not what paypal was doing wrong.

I will take from this the fact that this is normal and I havent done anything wrong

Thanks anyway but gezzz some of you c'mon!!

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

Sorry that was a bit rough I forgot how discussion boards can be. Thanks for taking the time to answer. I will take all into consideration.
Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

Sorry, I assumed you meant the 30c non refundable fee. If it's more than that, you probably need to give them a call.

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Paypal doesn't have a reversal fee.

If they are keeping any more than the 30cents you need to ring them and find out what it is for.  

That might be more productive than being rude to members who have tried to help you.

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

Are you sure that Paypal kept more than the 30p or was it a case of it looked like that as most of the refund comes from your account and the refund of fees is added out of Paypal's coffers. A lot of sellers see the less than full refund amount and think they have lost out.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 9 of 9
Latest reply