Internal eBay issue - no help from intentional/accidental disputes.

Hi fellow eBayers - happy & sad,

I would like to raise a massive concern I have with ebay and its dispute system failure (well, in my case).

ebay policy states that when a buyer goes to their financial institution for a refund and you have chosen to dispute this, the financial institution's say is final and you are liable for a $22 dispute fee if you lose.

So if the buyer gets refunded you pay back everything, including postage and still have to pay for listing sale fees and a $22 dispute fee and potentially lose out on getting the item returned.

So, here's my dilemma... the financial institution, fortunately, chose in my favour and the buyer kept the item and life continued BUT A MERE 86 DAYS AFTER THE SALE>>> ebay whacked me with a $22 dispute fee and charged my bank account $1154.10 87 days after the buyer purchased the item. (under what policy does this fall?)

ebay has been the most deceitful at reviewing this error, but I gather they may do this to many sellers where the buyer has gone and you assume they have rewarded a refund. 

Fortunately, I was able to contact the buyer externally (where ebay blocked my communications with them) and I have been shown all the evidence that the financial institution did indeed grant me the dispute, and the buyer changed their mind and used the items.

ebay keep shutting me down for trying to address this, I have invested nearly 20hrs online, on the phone with ebay and on the phone with the buyer. It is costing me my time and international phone calls.

I can only feel that ebay look to have purposely engineered their business around the grounds that make it sufficiently difficult to contact and address such issues, where most won't find out they have been conned, and many will just give up with the policy red tape they hide behind.

ebay can't hide behind policies where the call is in favour of the seller.

This is morally unethical and undermines the validity of the platform we should all be able to TRUST!

The massive profits they can make from these "slip-ups" warrants investigation.

See details below. I have deleted references to the financial institution and to my customer who is more than willing to help.

And I thank the buyer and their financial institution for their honesty in helping me in this situation.

Dispute granted in my favourDispute granted in my favourevidence ebay sent to financial institutionevidence ebay sent to financial institution2023-03-28_4-00-51.jpg2023-03-28_4-01-44.jpg

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Have you tried filing a complaint with AFCA?

Home | Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA)

Message 2 of 16
Latest reply

Appalling.  Simply appalling.  What an absolute joke.

Ebay is a giant, sophisticated marketplace but it's a total **bleep**shoot for sellers.  Most of the dangers boil down to lopsided policies skewed in the buyers favour, a lack of accountability, a lack of support and failure to adhere to their own policies.

Ebay has taken your money without cause.

Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

This total lack of integrity needs to be exposed so others are aware of this unlawful inept act.

How often have they (eBay) pulled this immoral stunt over the eyes of other innocent sellers?

It would be interesting to hear if others have been subjected to the same deceit/error by eBay.

Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

So this is an international transaction?  If so  AFCA is hardly likely to be interested or have any jurisdiction.

What was the reason for the buyer requesting return of the item.  If it was a COM, your no refund policy applies, however if the item was NAD, faulty etc, then the buyer is entitled to return the item for a full refund, and it is up to you to supply return shipping.

Has your buyer appealed against the original financial institution decision, would not be at all surprised if they are not telling you the full story.

Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

Hi imastawka,

I have been fighting this with eBay for the past month.

It does sound like an avenue to look at but eBay is not a member of AFRA to lodge a complaint.

AFCA Member Search

eBay processes payments, fees, international exchange rates, GST and debiting/crediting people's bank accounts so acts as a financial service provider but they avoid being a member of AFRA!

What is unknown to most is a company called ADYEN (AFS License Number 516550) that is discreetly affiliated with eBay financials, so this makes the matter even more complicated.

Adyen | Engineered for ambition - Adyen

Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

Not so discreetly, all ebay sellers in Australia, signed up  to managed payments, should be aware of Adyen.

Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

If your buyer is so helpful, did not appeal the original decision, and are so  happy with the product, are they prepared to repay you for the item.

Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

As for AFCA eBay is not a member and is strangely exempt from being so.

As for the transaction, the buyer made the purchase on behalf of their client.

As it was listed as 'No Returns" for the sheer size and bulk being sent from Australia to the USA.

When it was delivered their client changed their mind but knew there were no returns on this (as listed).

The buyer requested a refund via their financial institution as they were short-changed by their own client.

Fortunately, they made use of the purchase, and are happy so it can't be returned.

There is no reason why my buyer would go to the lengths to fabricate this up, and fraudulently alter a financial institution's statement when they could easily block me and pretend, I don't exist.

eBay even tried to defame the buyer and their financial institution as the culprits.

Divide and conquer!

Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

Disputed, dispute overturned.

Because they have already paid, so why should they pay twice???

Simply... they paid for the item, they own it.

Message 10 of 16
Latest reply