International postage

For the last two days I have been unable to post international parcels from my local country SA post office, including UK, US and other parts of Europe. I have not found any information online regarding this ban. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: International postage

There is a woldwide virus happening at the moment.

All planes have been grounded, here and overseas.

I can only think that this is the reason.

Maybe someone a bit wiser and more knowledgable may have a better idea than me.

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

The last time I tried at PO (7 April), they were accepting International Parcels Standard Service to US/UK and some of Europe. The info at AusPost website advises ECONOMY AIR Parcel Service suspended until further notice.  You should still be able to send with the marginally more expensive standard service which includes tracking, using the CN23 customs form - that's the large self-carboning form in triplicate.

The Aus Post link below has individual country specific updates. Might be worth checking these first before you pack something.

https://auspost.com.au/about-us/news-media/important-updates/coronavirus/coronavirus-international-u...

From this week Australia Post expects major international delivery delays due to flight cancellations and government restrictions because of COVID-19. Australia Post is working with partner airlines and other postal operators to move items as quickly as possible.

Please note Australia Post will suspend its โ€œEconomy Airโ€ international delivery service for parcels to all countries effective 3 April and until further notice.

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

Aust Post have suspended international economy air parcels.

3 April 2020

There are flight disruptions and cancellations impacting all inbound and outbound items to USA.

We expect delays to USA of up to 2 -3 weeks due to flight cancellations and government restrictions because of COVID-19.

Express items will be given priority over Standard items during this time.

Please note: Australia Post will suspend Economy Services for parcels effective 3 April and until further notice. Economy Services for letters will continue.

Australia Post is working closely with partner airlines and postal operators to move items as quickly possible.

https://auspost.com.au/about-us/news-media/important-updates/coronavirus/coronavirus-international-u...

and

7 April 2020

From this week Australia Post expects major international delivery delays due to flight cancellations and government restrictions because of COVID-19. Australia Post is working with partner airlines and other postal operators to move items as quickly as possible.

Please note Australia Post will suspend its โ€œEconomy Airโ€ international delivery service for parcels to all countries effective 3 April and until further notice.

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

Hi, thanks for that. I understood that there where delays but not a ban
Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

With the air mail, it is dependent on flights coming into Australia so they can load cargo and mail to go to other countries.

A friend of mine working in exports put it into perspective when they said they have 3 pallets of goods waiting to go to the US and there are no planes at all scheduled to come from the US into Melbourne for over two weeks.  Imagine all the other outgoing mail which will pile up during this waiting period.

Then yesterday a late-notice United 787 Dreamliner came into Melbourne to repatriate US citizens back to their home country.  My friend had the right connections to get the pallets onto that plane, which is going back to San Francisco this afternoon.  I imagine AP would be able to get some of its stuff onto it also, but it could be a long wait before the next one comes along.

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

All of the airfreight companies still have flights into Sydney on an almost daily basis so why not hitch a ride on their planes?

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

It could be very expensive to get the goods to Sydney if they are interstate.

Just because you can get the goods out of Australia it does not mean the destination country will accept them.

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

My Post Office advised there are minimum four week delays to both U.K & U.S.A mail systems and some other countries including Sweden ( had a parcel for sweden today ) have completely ceased accepting international mail. I am already getting Item not recieved cases from the U.S and as of today are cancelling and refunding all international sales using " there is a problem with the buyers address ".

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

Hi, I have contacted each of my overseas buyers and 90% have asked that I post when restrictions have been lifted. With this in mind, I also contacted eBay regarding this delay in being able to post items and the effect that late shipment would have on DSRs etc. In our transcript of conversation I was told that I have nothing to worry about and that they would fix manually.

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply