Is anyone else getting heaps of Cancelled Orders?

I apologise in advance if this issue has already been raised.  I haven't been on the discussion boards for a while.

In almost 15 years on ebay, I have had less than a dozen cancelled orders; primarily the usual things ["my one month old baby bid on the item" or an abrupt "I don't want it any more"].

In less than a week since Managed Payments started, I have had to cancel three orders.  Two buyers bought pick-up preferred items and didn't wait for postage to be added.  The third bought an item which was definitely pick-up only as I can't post it [perfume].

All the buyers had only a couple of feedback.  There appears to be newbies coming on board who are clueless about ebay.

Now I'm concerned about whether these cancelled orders will incur fees, as they did when PayPal stopped refunding their portion of refunded payments.  I also don't know how to go about things if postage is cheaper than I quoted.  With PayPal I could do a partial refund but with managed payments, how do you go about it?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated and would also like to know if anyone else is experiencing this?

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

One of the extant threads has an extremely detailed response re partial refunds. Search digital*ghost's recent posts.

As far as cancellations go, I can't help, sorry.

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

@the_dutchess_of_dork wrote:

I apologise in advance if this issue has already been raised.  I haven't been on the discussion boards for a while.

In almost 15 years on ebay, I have had less than a dozen cancelled orders; primarily the usual things ["my one month old baby bid on the item" or an abrupt "I don't want it any more"].

In less than a week since Managed Payments started, I have had to cancel three orders.  Two buyers bought pick-up preferred items and didn't wait for postage to be added.  The third bought an item which was definitely pick-up only as I can't post it [perfume].

All the buyers had only a couple of feedback.  There appears to be newbies coming on board who are clueless about ebay.

Now I'm concerned about whether these cancelled orders will incur fees, as they did when PayPal stopped refunding their portion of refunded payments.  I also don't know how to go about things if postage is cheaper than I quoted.  With PayPal I could do a partial refund but with managed payments, how do you go about it?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated and would also like to know if anyone else is experiencing this?

I can't help re cancelling with managed payments sorry, but regarding posting perfume, some PO's will allow it if you tell them you want to post perfume and ask if they could send it specifying for it to go by road. I posted some a while back and they were happy to do that

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

This post details the refund process:

https://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Selling/the-roll-out-of-ebay-managed-payments/m-p/2344696#M201633

As you'll be able to see in the last screenshot, I was not credited any fees for the partial refund, however other sellers have confirmed a credit of fees if you do a full refund (which happens when you cancel and order). They are supposed to just retain the processing fee (30c, plus GST if applicable), when a full refund is issued. 

This makes it a bit better than PayPal is now, but not quite as good as PayPal used to be, when they used to credit the appropriate portion of fees for partial refunds, and / or when they provided a credit of all fees for a full refund, including the processing fee. 

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

@11dustyattic wrote:

I can't help re cancelling with managed payments sorry, but regarding posting perfume, some PO's will allow it if you tell them you want to post perfume and ask if they could send it specifying for it to go by road. I posted some a while back and they were happy to do that

Except AP won't accept perfume as it's a class 3 dangerous good. It doesn't fall into the exemption list.

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

PayPal doesn't refund fees - that's how I remember them now.
Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

I've only had 3 (from memory) in 15 years of selling & now 2 cancellations in a week. Not sure what's going on.

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

Thank you digital*ghost, that's answered my question about the partial refunds.

I guess I shouldn't have been sticking my head in the sand all these weeks hoping it would all go away.

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

I think it is a lot of new buyers who may be drawn to ebay by After Pay.  Good for sales, I guess, but they don't seem to be totally familiar with the process.  I also now have three items awaiting payment whereas with PayPal almost everyone paid immediately even though my listings don't require immediate payment.

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

@11dustyattic wrote:

Except AP won't accept perfume as it's a class 3 dangerous good. It doesn't fall into the exemption list.

Did you even read my comment. I said there are some PO's that will happily post it, marking it to go 'by road'. Perfectly safe, not endangering anyone, and once it's posted it's fine.

Your standard large PO's probably wouldn't, I have 2 really good PO's near me. Quoting policies seems to be your thing 😉

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply