Is eBay turning a blind eye to higher volume sellers refusing paypal?

Hi, I've noticed multiple listings from a seller explicitly stating "WE DO NOT ACCEPT PAYPAL AS A PAYMENT OPTION".   Item number 382207802057

I thought paypal (or another safe payment method) was mandatory? 

Wondering if ebay's in such a state they're ok turning a blind eye so as not to ruffle feathers and lose commissions.

Of course all the buyer protections fly out the window without paypal in the picture (but I am wondering if the red text is mostly hot air to intimidate buyers into not paying by paypal  - I imagine if they actually refused paypal payment ebay would get wind of it sooner or later though). Some of their items are pick up only so I understand the no paypal policy there.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Apple-iPhone-7-32gb-Black-DEMO-MODEL-/382207802057?hash=item58fd5c3ac9:g:...

Item number 382207802057

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: Is eBay turning a blind eye to higher volume sellers refusing paypal?

They do offer merchant credit card over the phone. I do think that this counts as a safe method of payment.

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

I also think it's a safe payment method because you can do a charge back?

Plus eBay see no evil and hear no evil lol.

Perhaps some slack given to sellers that provide eBay with high fees as all eBay see is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ lol

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Thanks y'all for the heads up. Haven't encountered the term 'merchant payment over phone' as a payment option before, I think I had it mixed up with wire transfer.

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

Merchant credit facility is what you use when you buy something in a shop and pay with your credit card.

You can also ring the shop and have an item delivered...in this case you give them the details of your credit card over the phone, which is what this ebay seller is requesting.

It is definitely a safe payment that is allowed by ebay in place of paypal.   If you have a problem you just do a chargeback through your credit card provider.

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

Wow, every ebay rule in the book broken there, and getting away with it. What the heck is the phone good for anyway, they seem to have covered every possible scenario with the description, negating any possible chance of a return or complaint.  What a waste of money if anyone does get sucked in by purchasing it.

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

Mmmm, the listing is very vague... doesn't exactly list the faults with the iPhone.. and state they will NOT answer questions regarding the phone!! No wonder they don't want to accept PayPal.

I wonder what will happen if a dissatisfied customer opens a SNAD case under the eBay MBG....

The difference between stupidity and genius, is that genius has its limits.
Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

The ebay MBG only works for items paid with paypal.

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

I believe you can integrate certain merchant facilities with the eBay checkout and those are covered by the MBG.

Otherwise credit cards usually have their own protections and dispute procedures.
Message 10 of 13
Latest reply