Is it worth starting a new ID ?

Question to the experienced boardies here, at the moment this ID is damaged due to the current system to many defects, own fault on a lot of them agreed to cancel transactions due to buyers change or so called accidental purchases, from now on will just open unpaid item dispute no matter what excuses buyers come up with for not paying ( no more Mr nice guy ) but current issue is now due to seller limits in place GTC listings are not auto relisting due to the restriction, so every day listings are dropping of like flies and by the end of this month will only have around 30 istings still active, so wondering as sales are down to maybe 3 a week, is it worth starting a new ID and let this one rest for a while, yes i know wont have any feedback limited listings ect ect, but these days i think buyers donot give a damn about feedback, if the item is what they want and at the right price they will buy it anyway, have another ID but sells a different range of products and is at 100% above average so dont want to touch that one, rather start from scratch using products that can not be relisted on this ID until defect rate is down.

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

It makes sense to me, but I am not a seller.  I would call it damage limitation.

I may also be wrong about this but I believe if you can link your new account to an account in good standing you can get higher listing limits and no 21 hold on payments.

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

Correct me if I'm wrong here but isn't it against EBay policy to open a new id to get around account restrictions either as a buyer or a seller.
I mean if you do that you may get slapped even harder.
Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

Yes you can apply for a raise in listing limits by saying you have another account, may perhaps cause them to look at this account though so don't know if I would risk that.

If you were sending cancellation requests stating the buyer no longer wanted to buy then you should not be getting defects, are you sure that is what they are for?  I never send cancellation requests unless a close relative can provide a death certificate, if the buyer doesn't want to pay for ANY reason then they get a strike......end of.

I wouldn't stop listing and selling on this id altogether,  perhaps close the store and list a few things every week as auctions or BINS, sell something that is less likely to get cancellation requests, in order to build the feedback up a bit until restrictions have been lifted.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

But if the account has not been suspended or closed surely ebay can not make you keep using it.

If the account does go under it would mean that the OP will also lose his 100% account too.

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

Thanks for the input, the account is restricted to 255 per month, i took that as 255 listings, whereas only had 82 yet GTC listing are not auto relisting, so contacted Ebay customer service, who were actually quite helpful they investigated to see what defects could be removed, unfortunately none, but readiing elsewhere on the boards, relized that it is counted by the quantity available of each item, ie 92 listings x 10 available = 920, so in order to keep all GTC listings going would need to reduce quantity available to 2 , 92 x 2 = 184, then hopefully would be able to be able to add new listings, which we can not do at the moment,.

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

@clarry100 wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong here but isn't it against EBay policy to open a new id to get around account restrictions either as a buyer or a seller.
I mean if you do that you may get slapped even harder.

Clarry is right about this one. You may run the risk of having all accounts affected. I have sent you a personal message ( top left of your profile )

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

I am facing the same question. I have been a very careful trader on ebay for 14 years. I have only 1 actual negative report. I am rated by ebay as 'below standard', and it would appear I have to wait 12 months before I can regain a 'standard' rating. My sins? I cancelled a few too many times, for quite vaild reasons, but that makes no difference to the ebay computer. I then decided to close my ebay account, as I see no reason to continue. Guess what, because I am 'below stndard' I cannot even close my account. Talk about arrogance.

I have now shifted my selling across to Facebook, not selling as much but also don't lose 10% of my income to ebay, and don't have to put up with all the ridiculous restrictions, or the dishonest buyer. Best move I ever made.

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

As a seller you can not close your account until 6 months after your last transaction.  It has always been like that and has nothing to do with being below standard.

While you have active listings you will not be able to close your account, even if you only sell one item in a month.

If you really want to close your account you need to end all your listings and stop selling completely.

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

I think it is necessary and logical to have more than one seller account for rotation.

My plan is to stay TRS, of course, but alot of carp happens that sellers have no control over.

I have a few selling accounts all past the 21 day hold and decent limits.  The idea is that when the main one (this one ATM) looks at being at risk of becoming anywhere near below standard, then to immediately stop trading on it and move my main selling activity to another while awaiting defects to drop off.

There is no impetus to keep selling on any account. And if the account is still above standard then I would not be circumventing any ebay policies by choosing to trade on whichever account I want for whatever reason suits me.

Thankfully on 17 July this account will be 0% defects, yay! so looking good to stay with this account some time yet.

I appreciate that for some sellers with GTC listings with large selling history, this would be a huge problem.

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply