Is there postal tracking for letters?

With the new Money back guarantee policy thats coming in, i have concerns. If someone buys an item, then receives it, then decides to pull a swifty to get their money back. they just say it didn't arrive. It is then in the sellers hands to prove that 1 - they posted it and 2- the buyer received it.

Now while this is going on sellers will get a deficit, they will also have their paypal accounts frozen. The problem i have with this is that i sell a lot of things that get posted as large letters. While i get tracking on parcels to prove postage and delivery, this option does not apply to letters, as far as i know. How am i to prove that i have posted the letter and even more impossible to prove, that the buyer has received it.?

maybe i will have to put all my prices up and box my little letter items so they can all go as parcels with tracking.

Any other ideas please

Message 1 of 37
Latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

There a quite a few of us that have the same concerns. Really the only option is registered post labels. If bought in bulk they cost $3.10 now I think (they just went up)
Message 2 of 37
Latest reply

Thanks so much - registered post it is. Looks like i have some prices to change.

Message 3 of 37
Latest reply

I think it was Clarry who posted only yesterday that he'd been speaking with a Paypal rep and he was told that a photograph of the addressed large letter with the stamp cancelled by the PO would be acceptable as proof of postage for defending an INR claim.

If this is true, it means having the postage stamp cancelled by the PO then taking a photograph of it before it is dropped in the bag for subsequent delivery to the distribution centre. I wouldn't take this as gospel though, and would suggest you ring Paypal and ask them yourself.
Message 4 of 37
Latest reply

It would be a pain being stuck in the PO queue while someone photographed a load of letters ๐Ÿ˜ž

Message 5 of 37
Latest reply

You are correct Harley, as of yesterday $3.10 each if bought in Bulk, otherwise $3.70 each and don't forget casbit, you need to add postage for the Large Letter as well (bit of a pain because all the Buyer sees is the PO label that says - $0.70, $1.40 or whatever, so they think you have ripped them off.   Many do not seem to realize it is Postage plus Registered Label

I revised almost all my listings over the weekend to reflect the increase, and don't forget to add on somewhere Ebays fvf as well

Message 6 of 37
Latest reply

I think if it was only one or two it would be OK, but I dropped 8 large letters in the box today! That's unusual for me though, usually I post one or 2. Thankfully, my little PO rarely has a line, so I could probably get away with it, but at larger, busier ones it could be an issue. 

I guess one solution would be to get them to stamp them, then move aside while you photograph them, allowing the next person to be served.

Message 7 of 37
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Your Paypal account does not get frozen.

Only the amount for the disputed item

Message 8 of 37
Latest reply

Aren't the next lot of requirements demanding proof of delivery. Thus only a fully tracked service fulfil this.
Message 9 of 37
Latest reply

I have posted this solution previously, so forgive me for repeating it if you've all seen it before.

Totally agree i-love-my-sheep that get them to stamp them, then move aside while you photograph them, allowing the next person to be served is a good idea.

I was having major dramas with large letters going missing some time back & so reported it to Aust. Post and spoke to PayPal, also determined, they were going missing from the red street box !

While PayPal have told me this way of covering yourself as a Seller is totally acceptable, on ocassions when I have posted on the boards, others say it is not acceptable as it does not prove Buyer received the item, so you can all be the judges.

Here's what I do  :-

When I type & print my address labels, I print two copies.  One I use as labels and the second I take with me to the PO.  The staff check my mail against the list and then stamp the list for me as proof of postage.  No need to take photos ๐Ÿ™‚

Since keeping records this way, I have still had several scammers Buyers message to say their items have not arrived, so I very politely message back and explain :-

• Just for their peace of mind that the item was actually posted I am including a copy of the PO stamped document/receipt (which I take a photo of and blank out other Buyers names and address's - I just leave their suburb & Postcode showing)). 
  • I also ask them to check with their local PO to ensure it's not being held as it is a padded envelope.
  • I also tell them I am happy to send a replacement if it is not at the PO (This of course gives them an out) 

Miraculously, the item usually turns up the next day. 

Since using this method I think I have only had to replace 2 items out of 100's sent.  Previously I was replacing anything up to 2 or 3 for every 20 sent.  I have also found asking the staff to attach a label as opposed to normal postage stamps seems to help (looks more official) Oh, and, I only ever lodge over the counter - I never use the red box anymore !

So, it could be a mixture of solutions . . . . . . .

Message 10 of 37
Latest reply