It would appear I now have to make a decision, do I stay with Ebay or leave? Ebay forced new payment

Ebay is telling me, to continue on Ebay, I MUST accept their new payment structure and will not be able to use my PayPal account anymore. More over, their new overall fees are more than my current Ebay and PayPal fees combined.

Whilst Ebay has been a great market place, I now am forced to seek other avenues to market my products. Will this be an inconvenience to me, and even lost sales, definately, but I cannot accept this forced position with no alternatives. 

I fully understand the cost of doing business, but as good as Ebay is, it is highly competative and costs have to be managed.

Regards,

Stan (Australia)

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

It would appear I now have to make a decision, do I stay with Ebay or leave? Ebay forced new payment

Leave. Many others have threatened, but they never actually do. It would be nice to actually see someone go through with the threat.

Tippy (Australian, in Australia, on the Australian forums, so no need to mention that you are in Australia).

Edited to add: You've sold 5 things in the last 3 months, so eBay certainly won't miss you. You may be better off on another platform that caters to the market you are aiming for. I know there are countless groups on social media.

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

Bye!!  Now you will never know if the new system would have seen you better or worse off, matter of cents either way.

Managed payments does have certain negative issues, but it is not the end of the world and nowhere near as daunting as some

believe.

Oh.!  you can still divert money back to your paypal acc for buying.

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

I honestly don't understand what the big deal is?

Ebay is not the first platform to require sellers to go onto a Managed Payments system.

Etsy does it and requires a bank account linked to your seller account

Same with Amazon.

I've been on the new Ebay system since July and the fees are pretty much the same (approx 13%)

On Etsy, I pay more than Ebay in fees and I believe Amazon is around 20%, but not exactly sure.

Maybe look into removing the free postage option and decide on a small amount of say $4.00 across the board.

I used to offer free postage on about 20% on my items, and actually found that they sold slower than the ones with postage.

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

I don't understand why you guys are being so toxic about it saying to people who disagree to leave, bye etc.
Whilst some of you might argue about fee reductions or other platforms already using bank transfers.

The point is a lot of sellers are happy with using PayPal and having balance / control over there, which is a fair point.

Granted not going on MP does not benefit them however a lot of sellers feel its such a hastle for small sellers, nor do they feel comfortable doing so. i.e. past experiences. But most seem to have the idea if it's not broke why fix it.

Another thing I would like to add is that a lot of you seem to make the point where Esty and Amazon already have a MP system. Not one of you have made the point those sites are majority commercial quantities of new or hand made items. eBay has a large audience for everything including 2nd hand, junk, or even "for parts" items. To a lot of general small sellers this will seem like such a hastle to sell a few items of "junk" around the house
Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

@danieh

Sure, some people might think it's a hassle to sign up if they're just selling stuff around the house.

However, most sellers would still have had to hand over their bank and other identifying details to PP at some point for verification, so I honestly don't see the difference. PP is being replaced by Adyen, who are asking for the SAME Information that you would have given over to PP.

Of course, sellers are welcome to choose any platform they feel they can do better on.

Some people do alright on FB Marketplace, some do alright on Gumtree, but nothing has the reach of Ebay, espcially when it comes to offering items to Australia wide domestic plus international sellers.

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

Thats the point I wasn't making which yes I agree, I have regularly said the same thing on other threads including the mega thread. however. To us and anyone who cares about their eBay store regularly checks up on whats going on, average joe does not etc.
The way the average joe seller see is that "eBay" is taking this information. They don't know its Adyen unless they read the announcements or check fine print. When it comes to that the say eBay as the company and PayPal as a bank. Furthermore to them eBay has never been know as a money processor etc to them.

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

That's hardly eBay's fault. If people don't bother to keep themselves up to date, and they demonstrably don't, that is down to the people. I'm not sure how you expect eBay, or any other online platform, to give people information that that will probably ignore. Or think is a scam - the buzzword of the 2020s.

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

Wasn't blaming eBay or the average joe mate. I was simply making point You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

@danieh_6 wrote:
I don't understand why you guys are being so toxic about it saying to people who disagree to leave, bye etc.
Whilst some of you might argue about fee reductions or other platforms already using bank transfers.

The point is a lot of sellers are happy with using PayPal and having balance / control over there, which is a fair point.

It probably just comes from arriving at the point where you decide whether this is something you are prepared to accept and work with, or it's not. And I think a lot of sellers somewhere along the line have made a secondary decision about how they will approach platform / financial changes. You will often see sellers say things like "roll with the punches, go with the flow, or [even the slightly more dramatic] adapt or die", which is something that underpins how people subsequently approach these kinds of changes. It does tend to be more common in long-term business sellers who are committed to maintaining what they earn through eBay, for likely obvious reasons. (And I'm saying all of this because I recognise it in myself, as a long-term business seller). 

It is a goal-oriented attitude, which often simplifies the choice to just whether or not that goal can still be acheived under X conditions, and it;s easy to apply that dichotomy (i.e. "can I work with this? yes / no") to others who may be having a more difficult time making their decision, since it can be based on numerous factors. 

If I didn't have a business here and I just sold bits and pieces from around the house and / or other bits I came across occasionally, I might think it was all too hard, or too compromising, myself.  I definitely would not say I'm completely unconcerned about eBay managing payments and being able to debit my account (or others). The account I have linked with eBay now keeps a very low balance and I do not allow overdrafts, as a safeguard, while some accounts (AFAIK) allow you to have a direct debit limit, so these are some ways people can protect themselves from any nefarious actions they're concerned about, if they are looking for options to manage it safely. Maybe those concerned can have a chat to someone at their bank and ask what recourse they have when a direct debit agreement is in place but they want to dispute a debit etc. 

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply