Item Not Received (INR)-Buyer Fraud-Local Australia Market

Anyone else got some good ideas or help. There is a growing major problem (in my business anyway) with Item not received (INR) fraud in Local Australian Mail. I do not expect that ebay will take any action over this, as unfortunately, due to poor performance of bad sellers in the past by scamming and not sending items, this will be have to be past over as a cost of doing business on ebay,but this is now a cost to my business that is no longer sustainable. Next time someone claims they never receive an item from you, dont be too sure they didn't. read on. Understand that I run an ethical business, with 5500 feedbacks at 99.5% TRS. Every item that is paid, is sent. My Letter’s Addresses are printed with 20point Arial font, and marked with a printed return an address. Ensuring accurate delivery. After consultation with Australia Post advising me that in general 1, and at the outside, 2 letters are lost per 1000. I am currently at 1 in 15 items are now being claimed as not received. 1 in a 100 would be considered a poor target and unacceptable. But 1 in 15 is just disgusting Standard procedure for Australia Post is to return items that are not delivered, I have not received even 1 item back , that is a 0% return rate. Australia Post advised me. This is most certainly fraud. This means that even allowing for a few extra missing items, the vast majority of people claiming are lying. These grubs, buys one of my items, goes this is alright, its only $6, they won’t mind. I’ll just say I never received it, and I’ll get a free spare one. These people never/ won’t open a claim, just send a message, and never leave negative feedback, as this would bring unwanted attention to themselves. Note: this is not the majority of consumers, but unfortunately, this minority is now growing rapidly, 1 in 15 is not a good statistic.. The problem is these people probably do not know the severity of mail fraud or the damage to a good standing micro business, all it takes is for the local postman to say they remember delivering the item(most of my items are distinct in appearance) and that person then can be charged with mail fraud, which is a federal offence. No international travel ever, over a $6 item. But that is their choice and risk. But unfortunately for me it has made a once very good business. Looking at closing the doors. At today’s figures, I have to sell 98 items to recover the losses to date, I sell maybe 200 items per month, This is no longer a sustainable business model , so I have 2 choices. 1/Close shop, cut losses and another good ebay store is gone, I wouldn’t be the first or the last. 2/ introduce free registered post shipping (need to keep this otherwise lose benefits/ search standings ) remembering that most of my items are between $2 and $6 this will increase prices a further $5 (registered label plus fees for additional cost). I already offer express and registered post shipping as an option and maybe 1% use the registered post option. This will in effect be pricing my products out of competitive standings. Estimate selling approx.. 10% of what I do now. Close shop, not enough turn over. The only way to combat this problem, is firstly block the person. Then refund the money, I was advised that resending an item is “enabling the criminal” and exactly what they want, in a couple of rare cases I have had people claim they never received the item twice!!!!, double the free stuff and a refund. And with them blocked they can’t buy from you again, which you really don’t want untrustworthy people buying from your store? Any other options?
Message 1 of 38
Latest reply
37 REPLIES 37

Re: Item Not Received (INR)-Buyer Fraud-Local Australia Market

Or the date when it was posted, apparently.
Message 31 of 38
Latest reply

I know this is your business and livelihood, but realistically what can you, eBay, PayPal or auspost even do about it?

If adding registered post to the shipping cost isn't feasible, you'll just have to accept it as part of the business and minutely increase your product cost across the board to cover the occasional loss.

Like you said, buyers think it's only $6, who cares. People are scum and try to get away with what they can. And with these instances, they can. If you don't trust a buyer, block them from your sales.

I'm hoping eBay keeps a track of the number of INR"s people claim and flag ones who do it continuously. Maybe this is something you can ask them one day.

Other than that. Not much more you can do but vent online 😞
Message 32 of 38
Latest reply

aussiesellershop hasn't posted on this thread since ‎20-04-2016 so they will have sorted their actions out by now I reckon.........

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 33 of 38
Latest reply

Ah. Epic thread mine.
Message 34 of 38
Latest reply

@davidc4430 wrote:

i guess i'm lucky in that all my sold items have minimum tracking. more expensive ones i do SOD.

as soon as anyone began the using letter mail to deliver actual items the low lifes were going to discover they could get something for free. it would be nice if tracking could be added to letter mail for a small charge, its allready a working system. make it voluntary and cheap enough that sellers would use it.

but of course thats me having a day dream again.

Davidc 3 years later Auspost have finally got around to reading your post and have introduced Tracked Letter Post just for you.  Large Letter (C4) with tracking $5.65 less if you buy in bulk. 

Very insightful of you.  Don't happen to see them dropping prices any were in the near future do you.

---------------------------------------------------
Profanity is no substitute for wit.
Message 35 of 38
Latest reply

Litrully same **bleep** is happening to me its frustrating 

Message 36 of 38
Latest reply

Hi Trev....you've now dredged up 2 old threads.....a mod will be along shortly to close and advise you to start a new thread.....

Message 37 of 38
Latest reply

Hello everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, we have locked it from further comment.

Please feel free to start a new thread for a more current circumstance

Message 38 of 38
Latest reply