Item returned broken.

Hello everyone

I thought I will ask for  a little adivise from more experienced members.

I have sold an item, then the buyer returned item back, broken with missing peaces. It looks like the buyer intentionally broke it and did not even care to put all the broken parts back in the parcel. This buyer is quite rude & offensive. Paypal decided to issue a refund to the buyer. I have appealed but Paypal does not  really care about my side of the story. They say: that when the item is confirmed to be recevied by seller (tracking number) they have to issue a refund. 

I end up with broken item & a lost confidence in Paypal.  

What should I do? 

Thank you for reading 

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Item returned broken.

This is what I would do...

• Report the buyer to ACORN (Australian Cybercrime Online Reporting Network)
  • Thoroughly photograph everything that was received, including packaging
  • Write a stat dec (detailing what was received, the damage, what was missing, and confirming that it was significantly different to what was sent) and get a JP to witness it
  • Appeal PayPal's decision, submit all evidence to them, advising them also of the report to ACORN, and let them know that a complaint to the FOS will be made if the issue remains unresolved
  • (Optional) If PayPal do not respond favourably, report the incident to FOS (Financial Ombudsman Service)

Links:

ACORN

FOS

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

and what if the buyer received the item broken and missing parts?

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

OP has only sold handbags.

Can't see them getting 'broken' in the mail'

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

@bsal6160 wrote:

and what if the buyer received the item broken and missing parts?

Should I not give people appropriate advice, just in case they're lying about something? 

If so, I may as well quit the forums now. Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

If you do a Stat Dec do not sign it until you see the JP.....a JP only signs to verify that you have signed the document, not that the information in it is correct.

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

Hello Digital.

I have just read your message and can only say a heartfelt "Please do not leave the forums"  I have been lucky enough to have you help me with your advise and you saved both my money and my reputation.  I have had the same thing happen to me with a buyer.  The packaging was as perfect as the day I posted it. However the Royal Albert mug was in pieces as if it was dropped on a tiled floor. I had returned their money immediately but It had taken me two visits to their home and numerous messages to have the mug back.  They had offered to leave the mug on my doorstep but that made me more nervous of the transaction.. Yes I still have the mug and packaging in case I needed it as proof and also a lesson for me on how to try and protect myself.. I never thought of contacting acorn.

Your advise and your time in giving that thoughtful and constructive advise is greatly appreciated even if it does not always come across to you that way. Thank you for being there.  And have a better day tomorrow.

Best wishes

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

Smiley Embarassed

Thank you very much for your kind words. 🙂 I kinda suck at responding to complimentary things (and usually just whack a cartoon in the post Smiley LOL ), but I wanted to say that your comments are appreciated, and I'm glad if my posts in any thread can help someone.

I might not have said it too well in my reply above, but I meant to imply it would be virtually impossible to help people when needed if I reserved comments or advice in case there's something else going on (but on that note, I will acknowledge that there are definitely times I will reserve comment, usually if something doesn't seem quite right and the advice could be dangerous in the wrong hands, but in this case the advice I gave isn't really something that can be used to defraud easily, as it involves a decent amount of effort, and while I know it doesn't phase some people, stat decs are legal documents (akin to sworn statements) that incur penalties if they're found to be knowingly untruthful). 

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

Hi.

You are brilliant and it takes years to have the knowledge you have and your willingnes to give that knowledge to others to help them shows what a lovely person you are. Glad you could suck up the compliment I gave as you do deserve the compliment. In case I had not said it before. " Thank you "

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

I have to agree with daffodil here....it would be a great loss if you left the boards Digi.

While there are plenty of us who attempt to answer questions, I doubt that there is anyone left on the boards now who does it quite as comprehensively as you do.

I know I often pick up little known facts from your posts.   We all live and learn.

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply