Just had case closed in favour of buyer AND they have the product

I would be interested to know if this has happened to you....

eBay just closed a case and gave a buyer a full refund and the buyer has the product!  I am furious.

The buyer opened a case saying they did not have the goods.  The tracking stated that the goods were delivered to them the next day.  I responded to the case but the buyer never closed the case saying they received the goods.  They just ignored it.  I asked for ebay to close the case and return my money providing tracking showing delivery.  To my horror eBay closed the case and gave the buyer a FULL refund.  I generated the tracking label though the eBay system so they can view the address on the label which is the same as the address the buyer entered.

I am totally dumbfounded.

What can I do?  Any suggestions?

Thanks

Michelle

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: Just had case closed in favour of buyer AND they have the product

did your buyer have to sign for the delivery?

If not, then ebay will find in favour of the buyer. I had a similiar case last year. I didnt get my parcel, but tracking showed it was delivered.
I was in contact with seller, though he was very vague with details... He did not respond to the INR case.

The PO could NOT confirm that the parcel was actually delivered or what address....

I felt caught between a rock and a hard place, because i felt sorry for the seller, but at the same time, i was out of pocket too.

In the end, the case closed in my favour. Only then, did the seller kick up a stink about it.
I still dont know what happened to my items. Its a mystery.

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

NEVER EVER ask ebay to step in and help. The instant you do that, they immediately close the case in favour of the buyer and refund them without them having to return the item.

I would be contacting eBay by phone, asking to speak to a supervisor. Explain the situation (calmly) and request to dispute the refund. It may take a few calls to get any where. If you have no luck, contact the buyer and let them know that you know the item has been delivered, if they don't repay you the money, you will have no choice but to involve the police as they have gained goods by deception.

Often the thread of police involvement causes them to carp themselves and they can't repay quick enough. If they refuse to repay, lodge a complaint against them with ACORN, which is the online fraud agency.

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

tippy, not always..
remember my case? as a buyer?

IMO, tracking is useless if the delivery doesnt need to be signed for at the receiving end.

..any delivery driver with a scanner, can claim its been delivered, when in fact  it hasnt!

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

Thanks for your info.  It was sent to a parcel locker, the tracking first stated awaiting collection and then the next day was updated to delivered.  So assuming Aus Post can tell if the parcel has been collected.

Just so annoying.  Am considering leaving selling on eBay if they don't correct it.  Any buyer can say they didn't receive and eBay with give them a refund.

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

Good to know!  I have never done it before, usually just leave the case and it closes itself.  Will never again, that is if I continue selling on eBay.  I am really shocked about this and makes me wonder if buyers catch on to it then we might not get paid for anything!

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

I just got the money back within an hour of sending a 'terse' email.

Obviously they realised there was an error made.  My faith has been restored for now!

Thanks for listening!

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

@gigglepotkids wrote:

I just got the money back within an hour of sending a 'terse' email.

Obviously they realised there was an error made.  My faith has been restored for now!

Thanks for listening!

That's WONDERFUL news! Re the Parcel Lockers, only the person who holds the My Post card attached to that parcel can open the locker, so there would have been no doubt about her receiving it. I've not used them because we don't have them here, but I think you need to scan your My Post card to open it. At the very least, you have to key in your My Post number, so Aust Post would have been able to tell you who owned the card that opened it.

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

Tippy always has good advice! Totally agree, NEVER EVER ask eBay to step in and help, they will close in favour of the buyer. Had the same happen to me!

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

Just to clarify, signature on delivery is NOT a requirement for seller protection with ebay or paypal and never has been.  If you have tracking that shows delivered then the seller is covered.  In actual fact, SOD does not guarantee that it has been delivered to the correct addresss anyway as anybody can sign for it. The drivers do not check ID's.

janeababe- you were very lucky to benefit from a system/CS operator glitch but you should not have been refunded by the seller.  Maybe ebay did a discretionary payment, I don't know.  If the tracking says delivered then it is actually up to you, the buyer, to chase it up with Australia Post. Imagine how open that is to exploiting sellers bt just claiming that "I didn't get it".

I agree with Tippy that I would never phone up ebay to close a case, however with tracking showing delivered that should have been straightforward and safe.  PO, next time threaten to complain to the FOS.  You obviously landed some random douche CS rep when you called.

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply