Just sold item and cannot access funds

s.eekz
Community Member

Hey guys, I've only just learned about this today so bear with me,

In the past I have used ebay for the occasional purchase or to get rid of something for some extra cash. I've only made about 25 transactions but I've sold nearly $1500 worth of stuff and I have never had an issue from both buying and selling.

Today I sold my one and only phone. I decided to check my paypal to see if I can get the payment into my bank ASAP, hoping the money will be in there on the Monday and I can buy my new one. But, as you all probably already know, there are new rules that don't permit you to access the funds straight away.

They want me to wait up to 21 days for me to be able to access my funds, or until the buyer CONFIRMS receipt with no issues, to which they will then release my money 3 days later.

I understand this is super effective against new sellers scamming, but I never agreed to these disgusting and questionably autistic set of rules. I say it's autistic because all the buyer has to say is there is a problem / they recieved an empty box and it will push back the date I recieve my money anymore.

The problem is I have sold this phone and I simply do not agree to these new terms which were never around when I was using eBay.. I have sold this lady a phone but due to the fact I cannot access the funds I'm entitled to , I want to cancel the transaction and I'll probably just sell it on Facebook.. It's a shame eBay has all the market as there are ones out there that make much more sense but just don't have the audience...

What's the best way to go about this with the buyer ? I don't like to disappoint anyone and whatever like that, I just want to return her money to her and not have to deal with these autistic limitations on me. If I explain to her the situation via ebay messaging, and refund her payment from my Paypal then cancel the auction, theres not much more I can do than that right ? I'll probably get a negetive but at this point it doesnt matter because I'll only be using ebay to buy stuff from now on...

1 very disappointed little bean

Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

You agreed to eBay's and PayPal's terms and conditions when you signed up, autistic or not they are binding on everyone.

You can contact the buyer and ask them if they will cancel the transaction and refund their money.

You'll get a negative as you expect and possibly put on their banned sellers list,  but if it doesn't worry you go ahead.

You can't be forced to go ahead with the sale.

Message 2 of 20
Latest reply

"You agreed to eBay's and PayPal's terms and conditions when you signed up, autistic or not they are binding on everyone."

My account is from 2010 and according to google, these new restrictions came in late last year. Hence when I signed up, this rule never existed for me to accept.

Message 3 of 20
Latest reply

I believe you will find that you agreed to all paypal terms.....current and future changes.

If memory serves me correctly when paypal notified us of the changes we were told that if we did not like them then we did not have to use the service.  Something like "like it or lump it".

Message 4 of 20
Latest reply

s.eekz
Community Member

Well no, otherwise it would be like that south park episode where Kyle doesn't read iTunes ToS and he agree's to let Apple use his body for medical experiments (humanCENTiPad)...

My paypal and eBay acc are over 5 years old.. I accepted those ToU but they can't just add stuff to it and make it now a rule... What if they decided to add to their terms of use that after 2 years of using their service they get the keys to your house and is now their property?

Anyways this is just a rant thread and a looking for advice thread.. It's done and it's happened but I just want to get this customer her money back and take less of an impact on myself as possible...

Btw is it even legal what eBay are doing? I mean it must be obviously.. but surely its gotta be riiiight on the border of the law..

Message 5 of 20
Latest reply

"If PayPal holds 2 million payments for 21 days, assuming each payment held was worth $10.00. That's $20,000,000 growing interests for 21 to 35 days. That's why PayPal's attitude is so capitalistic. The point is to keep making money regarding what happens."

NVM this quote inadvertantly put everything into perspective for me, nothing is going to change lol. Well played paypal / ebay

Message 6 of 20
Latest reply

Nobody likes the new rules and if you read the boards you will find plenty of threads about it, as well as several threads giving ways to work around it.

My paypal account predates my ebay account which is over 10 years old.   I have been using paypal since long before it was aquired by ebay and have never had a problem which has not been fixed very quickly.

As for changing their Terms and Conditions and making them rules after the fact.....if our banks can do it so can paypal.  As long as you are given notice of the changes (and paypal did give notice) you have the chance to stop using your account.  Hasn't your bank ever notified you of changes to their terms and conditions or credit cards for example......like changes to interest rates?   If you continue to use that credit card you are deemed to have accepted the changes.  It is exactly the same with paypal.

Message 7 of 20
Latest reply

South Park is a logical argument?

Message 8 of 20
Latest reply

@s.eekz wrote:

My paypal and eBay acc are over 5 years old.. I accepted those ToU but they can't just add stuff to it and make it now a rule... What if they decided to add to their terms of use that after 2 years of using their service they get the keys to your house and is now their property?

Lyndal is correct, advanced notice is given on changes to the user agreement, and after they come into effect, use of the site / service constitutes acceptance of new terms (this would have actually been part of the user agreement you accepted 5 years ago - not that you agree to any and all future terms, but that PayPal reserve the right to alter said terms, and you can either accept them and continue to use the service, or reject them and cease using the service). 

Message 9 of 20
Latest reply

I guess it was just bad timing for me, I havn't accepted funds into my Paypal or had th eneed to use eBay for a sale in a while, so I legitmately never knew of any of this until after the transaction. If I had of known I honestly would of just used a facebook BS&S group (I hate dealing with people that try to offer swaps or offer lesser amounts despire specifically stating NO SWAPS and FIRM PRICE).

Oh well you found out **bleep** one way or another

Message 10 of 20
Latest reply