Just sold item and cannot access funds

s.eekz
Community Member

Hey guys, I've only just learned about this today so bear with me,

In the past I have used ebay for the occasional purchase or to get rid of something for some extra cash. I've only made about 25 transactions but I've sold nearly $1500 worth of stuff and I have never had an issue from both buying and selling.

Today I sold my one and only phone. I decided to check my paypal to see if I can get the payment into my bank ASAP, hoping the money will be in there on the Monday and I can buy my new one. But, as you all probably already know, there are new rules that don't permit you to access the funds straight away.

They want me to wait up to 21 days for me to be able to access my funds, or until the buyer CONFIRMS receipt with no issues, to which they will then release my money 3 days later.

I understand this is super effective against new sellers scamming, but I never agreed to these disgusting and questionably autistic set of rules. I say it's autistic because all the buyer has to say is there is a problem / they recieved an empty box and it will push back the date I recieve my money anymore.

The problem is I have sold this phone and I simply do not agree to these new terms which were never around when I was using eBay.. I have sold this lady a phone but due to the fact I cannot access the funds I'm entitled to , I want to cancel the transaction and I'll probably just sell it on Facebook.. It's a shame eBay has all the market as there are ones out there that make much more sense but just don't have the audience...

What's the best way to go about this with the buyer ? I don't like to disappoint anyone and whatever like that, I just want to return her money to her and not have to deal with these autistic limitations on me. If I explain to her the situation via ebay messaging, and refund her payment from my Paypal then cancel the auction, theres not much more I can do than that right ? I'll probably get a negetive but at this point it doesnt matter because I'll only be using ebay to buy stuff from now on...

1 very disappointed little bean

Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

This just goes to prove that you should read all emails from Paypal and ebay when the subject is changes to the terms and conditions.

Some sellers have had their funds released after telling Paypal they are going to complain to the financial ombudsman service however if your buyer confirms receipt you will get your money quicker.

As you are not a regular seller do you know that you will have to post your phone in a 'normal' parcel, not s pre  paid satchel and you will have tohave a road only sticker on it as mobile phones are classed as dangerous goods if they contsin a lithium battery.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 11 of 20
Latest reply

The reason this has happened to you, even though you've had your account for years is,  you haven'tsold anything sincebefore this hold came in. Active sellers weren't hit with the hold,  only new sellers and those that hadn't sold for awhile. 

I'm not sure you can access the funds if you want to refund the buyer, you may still have to wait the 21 days. I would still post it and then upload the tracking number into both ebay and PayPal. Once the tracking days delivered,  PayPal will release your funds.

Message 12 of 20
Latest reply

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

The reason this has happened to you, even though you've had your account for years is,  you haven'tsold anything sincebefore this hold came in. Active sellers weren't hit with the hold,  only new sellers and those that hadn't sold for awhile. 

I'm not sure you can access the funds if you want to refund the buyer, you may still have to wait the 21 days. I would still post it and then upload the tracking number into both ebay and PayPal. Once the tracking days delivered,  PayPal will release your funds.

I am not sure why you are replying to me.   Nothing has happened to me as I have never sold anything on ebay.  I am a buyer only.

But the 21 day hold did apply to active sellers unless they were high volume sellers.

Even sellers who had a high turnover on one account were getting caught on other smaller accounts until they worked out how to get paypal to release the funds.

It is also my understanding that if paypal has your money on hold you have to ask paypal to do any refund.

Message 13 of 20
Latest reply

Oops!  I didn't realise I replied to you Lyndal. My sincerest apologies. I meant to reply to the OP.

Message 14 of 20
Latest reply

No worries.....your post just did not make much sense as a reply to me.

I think the OP now understands that the rules changed and he did not read the new rules before selling.

Message 15 of 20
Latest reply

I'd say try the FOS route as that worked for us and they released the funds within 48 hours and have never held a single cent since.
Try calling and pleading with them first tho and if they refuse just advise them you will be lodging s formal complaint with the FOS.
Message 16 of 20
Latest reply

mj_v2.0
Community Member

I'm in the same situation too at the moment, just want to cancel transaction and forget selling items. eBay used to be great for selling, now it's a headache. 

Message 17 of 20
Latest reply

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

I was a mid to high volume seller and highly active and yes they held my payments for 21 days thats why i closed the account  plus the 180 return policy they introduced put the last nail in for me.

Message 18 of 20
Latest reply

pnc75
Community Member

allfixelectrical
Community Member

Don't mess about.

Lodge a complaint here:-

https://forms.fos.org.au/onlinedispute

Then call PayPal and tell them on 1800073263.

Most likely your funds will be available within 24hrs.

What they are doing is not legal in Australia.

Message 20 of 20
Latest reply