Keep getting dodgy buyers?

Hi, I'm new to selling on Ebay and have had a few items uo for sale now. One is going well, people are bidding and it has a few watchers keeping an eye on it.

One item I am having issues with is a digital camera, do electronic devices have a habbit of attracting 'hacked accounts'?

Twice the item has been sold and both times I get an email from Ebay saying that the item was purchased "without the account owners permission" and so the listing was removed.

How can I avoid these 'buyers' and sell my item properly to a legitimate buyer.

I also recieved an email from a buyer offering more than the buy it now price on the same item, they also requested a direct paypal purchase bypassing Ebay and it's buyer/seller protection policies so I waved that off at some poor attempt at a scam.
Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

It is the sort of product that attracts scammers, especially when you appear to be a new seller.
That offer outside of eBay is a classic scam, I'll bet they're from Nigeria and buying it for their "son" who is going to "college".
You can't really avoid scammers altogether, but you can block the ones you know of through your blocked buyers list.

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

If you know what your stuff is worth, then BIN with immediate payment is the way to go. Often auctions attract few bids; a lot of people these days when they want something want it now.

Plus it gets rid of most scammers.

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

go-tazz
Community Member
Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

Thanks for the responses guys. Very helpful. I'm trying to get some money together for a holiday during the only quiet part of the year I get at work, so this is quite frustrating. The money from the camera could cover my flights no problem.
Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

If you do happen to sell it take a few extra precautions when you pack and send it. These are not too hard to do and cover you against most scammers.

If the camera has a serial number perhaps put a pic up on the listing that displays the serial number.

This guards against possible scam returns in the future if they should try to return one that was NOT what the one you sent out.

When you have the item packaged ready to send weigh it. If you can get the PO to record the shipped weight on the receipt do that.

This guards against possible scams if they should send you back an empty package or something else.

Have an independent person witness you packing the item who would be prepared to sign a stat dec if necessary.

Take pics/video of you packaging the item.

Test the item before you package it to make sure it works. Have your independent person witness this.

Pack it very well against damage in transit.

Send with tracking that can be linked to the buyers PayPal mailing address. eg Click & Send labels or ebay labels.

The tracking number must be able to be linked to shipping address. Take a pic at the PO of the package of the fully addressed package showing the tracking number if you are unable to use a service described above.

Include extra cover insurance and signature on delivery. Covers you for total loss in transit.

Get a lodgement scan event over the counter when you send the item. And a lodgement receipt. This proves postage.

If I have forgotten anything someone else may add more.

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

Don't sell anything electronics, those are easy targets and a magnet for scammers. Take photos of goods plus your unique packaging before shopping, always ship with a tracking number.
Message 7 of 7
Latest reply