Layby - is it possible on Australian eBay?

Is there anyone out there successfully offering their buyers layby through the current Australian eBay systems?

Afterpay is not the answer for every buyer.

Once upon a time I used to tell my buyer to 'buy it now' but NOT pay - so I would get the buyers phone number at least (used to get email address) so layby conditions and payment information could be arranged - BUT, it now seems that the buyer must 'confirm and pay' otherwise it goes nowhere.

It used to work ok - eBay got their fees (I'm not trying to avoid fees) - I'd tell the buyer to ignore the payment reminders sent by eBay, and I'd have my contact information to  proceed with layby arrangements.

Would love to hear if anyone has found a way to offer layby - particularly to new buyers you have never had prior interaction with.

Thanking you!!

Message 1 of 74
Latest reply
73 REPLIES 73

Re: Layby - is it possible on Australian eBay?

@papermoon.lady wrote:

Experienced sellers advice buyers to add items to their cart and then request a total. I do it all the time. I could name the sellers from whom I constantly buy like that.

Yes, it does not work with immediate payment, but obviously not everybody has it enabled.

is your old account still active?

(PS: There is an option not to view signatures in your account preferences.)

I have it in my listings to add to cart and request a total if they wish to purchase multiple items, but they are still forced into immediate payment. 

Message 31 of 74
Latest reply

Don't ebay now auto cancel a sale, if not payed within 4 days,  I could be wrong on that one (just have a feeling) it may have changed again.

Message 32 of 74
Latest reply

Well, I buy multiple items from sellers all the time, and I can request a total. I think the last time was about a month ago.

A few weeks ago (I think in October) I also bought from a seller in the USA who had immediate payment enabled, so I could not request a total. I told him, he disabled it, and I could request a total with no problems. I don't know why your buyers cannot.

Message 33 of 74
Latest reply

I don't have immediate payment ticked - never have had.

Not sure why you have this problem.??

Message 34 of 74
Latest reply

It's an option that can be selected

Message 35 of 74
Latest reply

@tentrees123 wrote:

No, but it does not allow me to uncheck all the boxes - so one payment method or the other always has a check mark against it whether it be card, pp or whatever

But if you don't proceed to payment you won't pay?

What you describe looks like checkout, but you don't have to go through it if no immediate payment is required.

Message 36 of 74
Latest reply

I've never had immediate payment 'on' either. Doesn't seem to matter with eBay. I have been selling in the account in question for 12 years or more. Never mind I've given up on the idea 

Message 37 of 74
Latest reply

@tentrees123 wrote:

I've never had immediate payment 'on' either. Doesn't seem to matter with eBay. I have been selling in the account in question for 12 years or more. Never mind I've given up on the idea 

I have never had immediate payment on either. Ebay has forced it onto a lot of sellers regardless of their settings. There is no way to change it.

Message 38 of 74
Latest reply

@domino-710 wrote:

I don't have immediate payment ticked - never have had.

Not sure why you have this problem.??

I have never had it ticked either, but ebay has forced it on many sellers, regardless of their settings. There is no way to stop it, even with the box unticked (which mine always has been).

Message 39 of 74
Latest reply

Just a thought - have you had a number of unpaid items??

Message 40 of 74
Latest reply