Layby - is it possible on Australian eBay?

Is there anyone out there successfully offering their buyers layby through the current Australian eBay systems?

Afterpay is not the answer for every buyer.

Once upon a time I used to tell my buyer to 'buy it now' but NOT pay - so I would get the buyers phone number at least (used to get email address) so layby conditions and payment information could be arranged - BUT, it now seems that the buyer must 'confirm and pay' otherwise it goes nowhere.

It used to work ok - eBay got their fees (I'm not trying to avoid fees) - I'd tell the buyer to ignore the payment reminders sent by eBay, and I'd have my contact information to  proceed with layby arrangements.

Would love to hear if anyone has found a way to offer layby - particularly to new buyers you have never had prior interaction with.

Thanking you!!

Message 1 of 74
Latest reply
73 REPLIES 73

But it appears as though without hitting that 'confirm and pay' button the purchase is not recorded with eBay.

I am trying to have the purchase recorded - but not payment in full.

The idea was once the buyer 'purchased' the item, I would then let them know how to send me part payments. EBay gets their FVF, we have a record of the transaction and I get their contact details (such as they are). If the buyer then reneges on payments I still have the article.

Message 41 of 74
Latest reply

@domino-710 wrote:

Just a thought - have you had a number of unpaid items??

In my years of selling, I've had one unpaid item. That was earlier this year and was able to cancel it as unpaid after 2 days. Good thought though!

Message 42 of 74
Latest reply

Nope - no unpaid items. Nor have I had to cancel an order in ... forever?... well, the last time would have been about a year ago when I was running a few auctions and I had the 'my six year old granddaughter bid on this - can you cancel it please'

It's amazing how may very young grandchildren purchase or bid on their grandparents eBay accounts 🤣🤣🤣

Message 43 of 74
Latest reply

once you confirm purchase, there is a 'request invoice' in the box.....

like I said previously, you can sort of do it, when you offer auctions

Message 44 of 74
Latest reply

Well that's great - if I was running auctions..... but there is no way I would offer anyone an option to layby and auction. 

Message 45 of 74
Latest reply

Well that's great - if I was running auctions..... but there is no way I would offer anyone an option to layby and auction. 

" an auction"

Message 46 of 74
Latest reply

@tourterelle33 wrote:

But it appears as though without hitting that 'confirm and pay' button the purchase is not recorded with eBay.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I thought that if you hit the BIN button, then Confirm and Pay but don't pay (don't go through checkout), the purchase would be recorded as awaiting payment, but I hardly ever click on BIN. Many buyers apparently don't pay (and not only in auctions, also BIN), so I don't know how they do it?

Message 47 of 74
Latest reply

Actually if it is not recorded at all it is because of that problem you have with forced immediate payment.

It is not about not paying if it says Confirm and Pay, but with immediate payment a purchase is not recorded until you pay.

Do you have the same problem with other accounts apart from the one where you have been selling for 12 years?

Message 48 of 74
Latest reply

@tourterelle33 wrote:

The idea was once the buyer 'purchased' the item, I would then let them know how to send me part payments. EBay gets their FVF, we have a record of the transaction and I get their contact details (such as they are). If the buyer then reneges on payments I still have the article.

I will ask again - a buyer sends you part payment - where is the buyers proof of that payment. ??

Message 49 of 74
Latest reply

@papermoon.lady wrote:

Actually if it is not recorded at all it is because of that problem you have with forced immediate payment.

It is not about not paying if it says Confirm and Pay, but with immediate payment a purchase is not recorded until you pay.

Do you have the same problem with other accounts apart from the one where you have been selling for 12 years?

What on earth has this to do with - LAYBY. ??

Message 50 of 74
Latest reply