Layby - is it possible on Australian eBay?

Is there anyone out there successfully offering their buyers layby through the current Australian eBay systems?

Afterpay is not the answer for every buyer.

Once upon a time I used to tell my buyer to 'buy it now' but NOT pay - so I would get the buyers phone number at least (used to get email address) so layby conditions and payment information could be arranged - BUT, it now seems that the buyer must 'confirm and pay' otherwise it goes nowhere.

It used to work ok - eBay got their fees (I'm not trying to avoid fees) - I'd tell the buyer to ignore the payment reminders sent by eBay, and I'd have my contact information to  proceed with layby arrangements.

Would love to hear if anyone has found a way to offer layby - particularly to new buyers you have never had prior interaction with.

Thanking you!!

Message 1 of 74
Latest reply
73 REPLIES 73

I was answering the OP's question about a purchase being recorded:

Screenshot 2022-12-22 161837.png

Message 51 of 74
Latest reply

@tourterelle33 wrote:

But it appears as though without hitting that 'confirm and pay' button the purchase is not recorded with eBay.

I am trying to have the purchase recorded - but not payment in full.

Simply - said - this cannot be done - period.

Message 52 of 74
Latest reply

OP - I just don't think that eBay is the right place for what you would like to do. They do offer payments by instalments, but buyers have to be approved, need a good credit history etc.

Maybe you can find another marketplace for this and just sell the normal way on eBay.

Message 53 of 74
Latest reply

What a blindingly boring thread.

It simply can't be done on ebay, so why all the discussion?

Buyers have Afterpay and Paypal Pay in 4

End of discussion on lay by.

Whatever happened to - If you haven't got the money, you simply can't afford it?

OP, I would like to suggest that your buyers simply save up over the same time frame, and purchase in full.

Message 54 of 74
Latest reply

What do you mean? If the $'s have gone out of the buyers bank account, or paypal account and I've acknowledged their payment - what other kind of proof are you meaning?

Message 55 of 74
Latest reply

Old method for instalments:

piggybank.jpg

Message 56 of 74
Latest reply

@tourterelle33 wrote:

What do you mean? If the $'s have gone out of the buyers bank account, or paypal account and I've acknowledged their payment - what other kind of proof are you meaning?

Oh for heaven's sake - what is it you don't understand.

How have you aknowledged their payment within eBay.

Simple question.

Message 57 of 74
Latest reply

Thank you everyone - I agree to one comment that this has now got rather, well, boring?

What used to work some time ago now no longer works and it doesn't seem like there are any Sellers (that have commented here that is) that have found a way forward with the layby idea if you have had no prior 'relationship' with a buyer and they are ignoring the Afterpay type options.

I am now tuning out and going back under the house. Maybe I will re-surface one day with another punter's request that I, as a seller, do actually try to accommodate if possible. 

Thanks again everyone - thought I was getting somewhere for a time - but to no avail.

Merry Christmas & all the best for the New Year.

Message 58 of 74
Latest reply

Ahhh - now you have made your question clear....

Message 59 of 74
Latest reply

Indeed I have - as did others.

What you fail to understand is many here - use a posting ID - not their Seller ID - so your little comment on - no sellers - rings hollow.

With in excess of 11,000 sales - over 17 years - 5 years off for good behaviour - I think I have a say.

Merry Christmas.

Message 60 of 74
Latest reply