Make "Buy It Now" listing visible only to those with link

I am using eBay to sell specialized technical products that I promote through my own site and other sites. I do not want the listing to be seen by the general public because I want to sell only to those who know what the item is and have already seen the information and documentation on my site. The "buy" link on my site would take buyers to the otherwise non-public eBay listing to complete the purchase. Is there a way to do this? Is the "Private " option the way to do it?

Thanks,

Todd

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: Make "Buy It Now" listing visible only to those with link

Private means the item details won't show in feedback.

I don't think you can do what you want on eBay.

Why would you want to? If you require your buyers to have read your website, why not sell from there?

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

I very much doubt it can be done (eBay may consider it a 'third party' or 'trying to sell off eBay' for one)

If you are already selling/promoting on your own site and other sites, bringing eBay into the mix where only 'selected people' can see it really doesn't make much sense 

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

Perhaps try the US site - where you are registered.

Happy New Year from Australia - LOL

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

Thanks for your reply. I don't want to hassle with the buying/payment/shipping details. eBay takes care of those things. eBay also provides buyers with some sense of security will regard to privacy, etc. I have my own access to what I consider qualified buyers. I don't need or want eBay to provide advertising and marketing.

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

You have to remember what ebay's wishes are and why they run the site.

They are here to make money from commission from sales and to do that, they host ads that anyone can see.

Why on earth would they want to restrict views to only those who have visited your site?

That may suit you but it doesn't suit ebay at all. There's no advantage in that for them.

I've heard of private listings as far as feedback goes, but not for actual access to ads. Maybe US is different, but I doubt it.

Get someone to help you set up your web page so you can handle your own sales.

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

Thanks for your reply. What I want is definitely *not* trying to sell off eBay. I don't want to hassle with the buying/payment/shipping details myself. eBay takes care of those things. eBay also provides buyers with some sense of security will regard to privacy, etc. I have my own access to what I consider *qualified* buyers. Since eBay won't allow links to proper documentation (which in my case is extensive) I don't need or want eBay to provide advertising and marketing. I don't want people to just come onto my listings (as they do now) and buy something they don't know the first thing about (but think they do). These random buyers are an enormous customer-relations hassle that are simply not worth the trouble.

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

@carneytf57 wrote:

These random buyers are an enormous customer-relations hassle that are simply not worth the trouble.

The answer to your original question is no.

In regards to having randoms find your product,  if it's what you already have listed they are nothing special, dime a dozen type things,  nothing wrong with leaving them open.

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

As has already been said - no, you canโ€™t hide your listings so that only a secret or predetermined coterie can see them.

I wonโ€™t even address most of the other issues in your posts about what youโ€™d like and what you believe eBay does, because that basic issue โ€” having only the few to whom you decide to sell being able to see your listings โ€” isnโ€™t possible. 

You can set buyer requirements but certainly not in the way and of the scope that youโ€™ve described. eBay is set up to give sellers maximum visibility, not a seller-controlled few.

Some sellers will create specific listings for buyers who have negotiated a combined offer or something of that nature, but I really canโ€™t see that working for the situation you outline.

It also seems quite possible that restricting your sales in this way would lead to a low and infrequent eBay sales volume which would see you classed as a new/infrequent seller by eBay, and hence your funds would regularly be on hold. Is that something youโ€™ve considered?

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

As suggested earlier, please post your question on the USA Boards, as that is where you are registered.

You are currently posting on the Australian Boards.

American policy may differ.

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply