Making formal legal complaint against eBay, any advice?

clubcar
Community Member

We are a Golf Cart business that operates a showroom and our own industry leading website. We advertise vehicles on our website, eBay as well as Facebook and sometimes even Instagram.

I recently advertised a Petrol golf cart which are very rare. We listed this item on eBay and received a few messages. The vehicle was on display in our showroom. We received a few messages from customers in regional areas asking about delivery costs to various areas. One customer sent a phone number (I did not ask for it or respond to their message). In the meantime, as often happends, a customer came in and bought it. So I ended the item on eBay as it was no longer available.

Now we are suspended from eBay for selling the item outside of eBay - when I queried this with eBay, they say, we were suspended from eBay because sharing contact details is not allowed - At no point did we share any details, at no point did we request any details. At no time did we reply to the customer who sent their details. When I asked how we can be responsible for what other people say, their arrogant response is simply "we understand but the decision is final". So now we are suspended because of something a customer did and may do again. Obviously it is impossible for us to be res

What is the best way to make a formal complaint against eBay? Is it worth contracting a solicitor? Anyone had any success on making a complaint through the ombudsman?

Message 1 of 45
Latest reply
44 REPLIES 44

Re: Making formal legal complaint against eBay, any advice?

Thats a great point. That certainly is possible.

Cannot believe the absolute arrogance of eBay to admit that we did nothing wrong and refuse to remove suspension because of something someone else did. Like you say, it could easily be competitors taking advantage of eBays ridiculous rules.

Message 11 of 45
Latest reply

Another customer has just sent through a message saying "please give me a call about this item" with their phone number. But now I cannot reply because eBay has shut of our ability to send messages... so now we will get in trouble again for something a customer has done and I cannot even reply. Absolute madness. I am sure they are breaching Australian law, considering getting legal advice on a matter of principle but the time invested isnt worth it.

Message 12 of 45
Latest reply

get on the front foot & ring ebay yourself about the latest incident....ask to speak to a supervisor
Message 13 of 45
Latest reply

No....use the  Have us call you  option.

That way you will get someone in Australia to listen, not someone reading off a screen.

Message 14 of 45
Latest reply

In the mean time, go into your site settings and use the option under manage communication with buyers to display your phone number to members who swns a message.

You may also want to set up a temporary out of office message to auto-reply to inquiries.
Message 15 of 45
Latest reply

Send a mesaage, I meant. On my mobile Smiley LOL
Message 16 of 45
Latest reply

I would also use  ebay's report a buyer system. It's a new system they just put in place, so it's likely to get more attention internally than usual.

I would report both buyers as separate incidents and take the opportunity to complain about the fact that you are being penalised for something that they did.

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/selling/resolving-buyer-issues/report-issue-buyer?id=4084&st=12&pos=3&q...

Message 17 of 45
Latest reply

Also, check your account, in most cases if Ebay suspect a transaction has taken place outside Ebay, they will charge you any final value fees. I would do as others have said, use the “call me” option and request that any FVFs be credited.

Message 18 of 45
Latest reply

@snowbunnies2016 wrote:

Also, check your account, in most cases if Ebay suspect a transaction has taken place outside Ebay, they will charge you any final value fees.

That sounds incredibly dodgy. 

Message 19 of 45
Latest reply

It's in their terms. From ebay's point of view, if you advertise something on their site and you sell it, they're entitled to their fees. Too many people would have sold pick-up items previously and never paid any fees on them.
Message 20 of 45
Latest reply