Money Back Guarantee Policy

I am a casual eBay seller basically just selling my unwanted items (mainly collectables).  I have ended all my items so that I can assess the impact of the new money back guarantee policy. If I only sell items for 'Pickup Only' (either by cash or paypal), does the new policy still apply even though I make sure the buyer is fully satisfied with the item on pickup?

Regards

Message 1 of 85
Latest reply
84 REPLIES 84

@gordo1955 wrote:

If I only sell items for 'Pickup Only' (either by cash or paypal), does the new policy still apply 

In a word, no.

eBay's MBG covers items that are posted by the seller - if the buyer arranges pick-up or freight on their own, the item isn't covered (also must paid for with one of their approved safe methods - PayPal, credit/debit card and Paymate). 

Message 2 of 85
Latest reply

The Money Back Guarantee only applies when buyers pay using one of the "safer payment methods", it does not apply for cash or bank deposit payments.

Buyers cannot make a claim under the Money Back Guarantee for Item Not Received on pickup items.

Not covered

• Buyer's remorse or any reason other than not receiving an item or receiving an item that isn't as described in the listing (see the seller's return policy for return options).

• Items damaged during pick-up or postage or not delivered when the buyer arranges pick-up or delivery of the item (for instance, the buyer arranges freight).

http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/policies/money-back-guarantee.html

I can't find anything about claiming Not as Described for pickup items.

Message 3 of 85
Latest reply

@bigbrickshop wrote:

I can't find anything about claiming Not as Described for pickup items.

True... I guess it would be a bit of a grey area, trying to prove the item was as described when the buyer accepted it, or it was picked up by a freight service. If the claim was about damage, that is, if it was about something else (eg missing pieces), seems like the buyer would still be covered. 

Message 4 of 85
Latest reply

I recently purchased a pickup only item and the seller insisted on PayPal payment before even giving me the address. It was only as I was driving there that I wondered what I would do if there was no item when I arrived or the item wasn't as described. My PayPal is funded by a creditcard so if I had a problem I suppose I could have done a chargeback.

Message 5 of 85
Latest reply

I too am a casual seller on ebay.  My last activity was back in 2012 and I am back again in 2015.  Boy am I Naive to the new ebay.

I listed an item for local pickup only......payment by PayPal.  Reason I did that was I had heard from another local selling faebook group that many people were trying to pass counterfeit money when paying in cash, so I figured I would be good to go with PayPal as it protects me from this.

Auction ends, Item sells for $485.  Money goes into PayPal, but it's on a 21 day hold.  Annoying but I don't need it urgently.

During the pickup, my buyer expressed confusion about what was included, vs what was in my eBay listing.  I told her she was mistaken and I would be happy to cancel transaction.  She said she was all good, I loaded the goods in her car (she was very heavily pregnant) and she drove off.  I even gave her a demo of the item and also waited so I could give her directions back to the freeway.

Now I am fighting against a case for Item Not As Described.  Ebay have told me they will find in the buyers favour and refund all moneys to them, as well as bill me for return shipping.  The item is a massive pram, so I dont want to be left with a huge courier bill.

I also raised a complaint about the buyer, and asked eBay to clarify it's money back guarantee policy for local pickup items, paid for with PayPal.  They stated that these types of transactions were not eligable.  However, I have another eBayer managing the buyers case saying eBay will find in the buyers favour.  They both completely contradict one another.

I'm waiting to see what the outcome will be, but I think if eBay do not rule in my favour, I will arrange to meet the buyer in person, pickup all goods and issue a refund.  If the buyer wants to be vindictive, they can arrange a courier, there are no guarantees on how well they will pack my items and I will be left wearing the cost.

I need adivce from any other sellers who have been through a similar situation.  

Welcome to the "new" eBay in 2015.  They simply don't want casual sellers anymore.

Message 6 of 85
Latest reply

It makes no difference whether the buyer has lodged a SNAD claim with eBay or Paypal as pickup items are specifically excluded by both. The buyer had the opportunity to reject the item at the time of pickup yet she chose to take it away with her, and the fact that she paid with Paypal is completely irrelevant.

If one of the semi-literate and poorly-trained cretins at eBay stuffs up and finds for the buyer, you should immediately lodge a complaint with the Financial Ombudsmans Service (or FOS) at https://forms.fos.org.au/OnlineDispute and also lodge formal complaints with the ACCC and Fair Trading.
Message 7 of 85
Latest reply

Firstly, you need to ring PayPal and say to them “You revoke any consents (actual and/or implied) which eBay may attempt to rely to access the funds, in connection with transaction, and if they ignore this instruction you will lodge a complaint with the Financial Ombudsman Service.  Then follow up by giving intruction in writing (email will do),  Also privide  them with copy of the response you sent to eBay.

Then, through the dispute console provided by eBay send them something like this –

The item was listed as pick-up only.

On (insert date), which is the date arranged for pickup, the buyer inspected and accepted the goods.  As such, in accordance with that part of the Sales of Goods Act which pertains to the purchase of goods on description, having inspected and accepted the goods. they cannot now reject then.  Instead their only recourse is request a return of the Goods on the basis of a change of mind, and whether the seller decides to accept or reject that request is at the absolute discretion of the seller.

In any event, in so far as it is relevant, the eBay Money Back Guarantee clearly states - “Not Covered - …when the buyer arranges pick-up.  The Guarantee also states change of mind returns are also excluded from the Guarantee.

I light of the above I, on (insert date), placed PayPal on notice, that any consents on which you (eBay) may rely to gain access my PayPal account in connection with this transaction are revoked, and should they ignore those instructions ,  a complaint will be lodged with the Financial Ombudsman Service.

Message 8 of 85
Latest reply

Anyone considering following TBs advice and contacting to Paypal to revoke eBays permission to access Paypal funds should ensure that they consider the implications very carefully.

IMO this should include ensuring that their payment method on record in eBay is not Paypal including the method by which they pay their selling account and more importantly as the permissions that are given to Paypal are done so via the eBay user agreement it may be the case  that eBay may respond by restricting selling activities on their accounts or membership all together.  

Message 9 of 85
Latest reply

@kashgar2012 wrote:

During the pickup, my buyer expressed confusion about what was included, vs what was in my eBay listing.  I told her she was mistaken and I would be happy to cancel transaction.  She said she was all good, I loaded the goods in her car (she was very heavily pregnant) and she drove off.  I even gave her a demo of the item and also waited so I could give her directions back to the freeway.

As far as I can see the eBay money back guarantee does not explictly exclude pick up items from its coverage as not as described.

What exactly did the buyer think was included based on your listing description ?

Message 10 of 85
Latest reply