Moron bidder sends email.

Morning after auction ends, idiot sends email saying that they bid by mistake and won't be paying.

First time in years this has happened and these days, I find I cannot leave neg feedback and am in limbo for 4 days.

I suppose it makes the place look better when everyone has 100% + feedback.

Pretty ordinary system though.

Message 1 of 38
Latest reply
37 REPLIES 37

Open an unpaid item case 4 days after sale date.

That gives buyer a further 4 days to pay and if they don't then close the case.

The buyer gets a strike on their account and with 2 or more they cannot bid or buy from ebayers with blocks in place.

You get the fee credited back, neither can leave feedback and you can relist.

Also them to your BBL so they can't do it again in the future.

image host
Message 2 of 38
Latest reply

I don't do auctions, but I have had buyers wanting to cancel BINs after paying, which now costs me the Paypal fees. I don't even consider them to be morons, much less a simple non-payer who doesn't actually cost me anything.

Good to know what your attitude as a seller is.

Message 3 of 38
Latest reply

My attitude is that:

A: Another bidder missed out by being outbid.

B: I have to muck around claiming fees, relisting etc.

C: The item was on auction, the idiot could have cancelled their bid instead of waiting twelve hours after the finish.

Don't worry about me, I kept my end of the deal.

If you " Don't do auctions" you have nothing to contribute.

Message 4 of 38
Latest reply

There is a bright side - in due time you can offer it to the second bidder, you don't have to relist it.

Message 5 of 38
Latest reply

@dlr4573 wrote:

My attitude is that:

C: The item was on auction, the idiot could have cancelled their bid instead of waiting twelve hours after the finish.

Nothing that you want to hear, obviously. And the difference with auctions is little. None in the last 12 hours, as bidders can't retract in that time.

It's a NPB, not the end of the world, and denigrating the bidder doesn't help anything, nor does it make you appear professional

Message 6 of 38
Latest reply

I'm not even a seller any more (on ebay) but quite frankly I do consider anyone who sends a message saying they 'bid by mistake' and won't be paying is a nuisance, is rude and has a sense of entitlement. Okay, even if i could, I wouldn't call them a moron in feedback but i'd certainly think it. I don't think it's unreasonable to feel annoyed in this scenario, not at all.

But the thing is, ebay has quite a few of these sorts of people using the site. It's not the majority of buyers, but to be honest, you're probably lucky if it is the first time in years you've struck one.

Give them no feedback at all, put them on your blocked list as others have mentioned and then give yourself the satisfaction of carrying through to give them a strike. If they just happen to go around bidding by mistake on any other things and gather another strike, they'll find themselves locked out of buying from quite a few sellers. Sweetest revenge you can get.Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 38
Latest reply

@dlr4573 wrote:

My attitude is that:

I get the odd NPB including a couple this week along with a buyer who asked me to cancel a BIN a few hours after purchase. ( which I did... better to cancel than have them open a case for item not as desribed or item not recieved as soon as they get the item ).

I barely raise an eyebrow over it, simply going through the resolution process, giving them a strike and moving on. If you stress over the small stuff,  you will find ebay a very difficult place to sell and work. Much better to just cruise along without getting uptight about every little thing and save your angst for stuff that really matters.

Message 8 of 38
Latest reply

I mostly run auctions, because my items sell better at auction than BIN. I occasionally get a non payer. I think I've had one this year. I don't see them as being idiots, or morons. I see them as being non payers. I don't feel the need to belittle people. I wait 4 days and open a dispute, then close it 4 days later and relist. I add them to my blocked list and am satisfied that if they have 2 or more non payment strikes against them, they can't buy from me anyway, as I have buyer blocks in place to prevent them buying in the first place.

Do you have blocks in place?

I find it quite tacky that you refer to them as idiots and morons. At least the buyer contacted you. Most don't. Even by contacting you, they will still end up with a strike against their account, and they probably know that, and really don't care.

It's not the end of the world. Relist the item and if it's that sought after, it will sell on the next relist. If it's not, then it will just continue to relist over and over. 

Edit: As the buyer has already said they aren't paying, offer it to the next bidder as a second chance offer. It's only $2 less than the high bidder. Explain to the underbidder that they high bidder doesn't want it and it's theirs if they want it. Problem solved.

Message 9 of 38
Latest reply

You're lucky thats the first time its happened to you, its happened to me plenty. I'd rather they tell me than leave me hanging for days. Once I got a really rude message from a guy who says "I already have this PS3 game, sell it to someone else." No please, no sorry, nothing. So I searched him on social media and found out he's 13, a private school spoilt little brat who lives in a $3 million house. So I rang his mum while he was at school and told her she should teach her son some manners.Smiley LOL She didnt even know he was on ebay. Anyway she made him delete his account. 

Google their address and you'll find it's nearly always the wealthy people that do this!

Message 10 of 38
Latest reply