Mystery return/delivery

Well this is a bit of a strange one. Today, I received a padded mailer in the post. It was scanned and handed to me. Upon receipt, the first thing I noticed was the end was open. It had obviously been cut the entire way across with scissors.

So I took out the contents. It was a 6× DVD television series. This is not something that I've sold, or even ever listed. Nor did I purchase it.

Obviously the next step is to check the sender. It has my return address stamp in the sender's details area. So I immediately look at the front and see 2 concession postage stamps. The original address label has been half torn off, and the remaining details have been blacked out. There is a scrap of paper with a hand written name (which I don't recognise) loosely taped to the mailer by one edge, and a Parcel Post tracking label.

Some seller is obviously too cheap to outlay about 10c each to purchase padded mailers, so they're recycling used ones - and haven't bothered updating the sender's details. I assume it was done to recycle the uncancelled stamps and skimp on postage.

It was delivered to me as RTS because it had no address on the front, and I have no idea who sent it, or where it was meant to go. The AP tracking says sender's details not available.

The only thing I do know about this mystery item, is that the mailer was originally shipped by me between August 25 and October 13. I don't even have any idea what the original contents were.

I took it to the police station to hand it in as lost property, but they refused to take it. They said that because I am the sender, it is legally mine.

I don't know what more I can do, but I do know that some poor buyer out there won't be very happy when their item doesn't show up, yet the tracking shows that it was delivered today.

Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mystery return/delivery

It is a bit of a weird one.

Do you know if the concession stamps would have likely been ones you used on the padded mailer?

I think you are probably right and the seller (or poster) is recycling the padded mailer. On the balance of probability though, they didn't pick it up from the tip, they either bought from you at an earlier stage or else someone they know did, and has passed on the padded bag to the seller or poster. Again, we have no evidence the items inside were sold, they could have been a gift for all you know. 

I doubt you could do an easy search of ebay either by just searching for a sale of those DVDs because I think it is the case that those records only show for a month, you won't see August sales.

Personally, I don't think you have a problem here. They were delivered to you, you have no evidence as to who sent them or who was meant to receive them, there is no 'lost property' spot you can drop them off to, so just keep them or gift to an op shop or someone who would like them.

You say it was originally shipped between late Aug/early Oct. In that case, if it was an ebay purchase, then it is long finished. A buyer could, ages ago, have easily filed for item not received and had a refund.

There is actually nothing though to suggest it contained an ebay purchase or was being sent to an ebay buyer. All you really know is that a padded bag you once sent an ebay item out in has been reused.

Just consider this as one of life's little stumbles for the sender. Not everything can be fixed.

View solution in original post

Message 19 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Mystery return/delivery

More details on  the DVDs required, if it was an ebay sale it can probably be located and seller identified.

Message 2 of 19
Latest reply

Mystery return/delivery

No, it would do you no good anyway, and I'm not about to make public the only means by which the rightful owner can identify the item. That wouldn't be a very smart thing to do now, would it?

Message 3 of 19
Latest reply

Mystery return/delivery

So why ask the 'question'. We are only other members and can only go with what little information you provide. Which is too little for any of us to provide meaningful advice.

Message 4 of 19
Latest reply

Mystery return/delivery

Who rattled your cage? Please point out for me where I asked for advice or asked a question.

The facts are that some seller is recycling padded mailers and postage stamps, forgot to address or even seal this one, and by failing to use his/her own details, effectively sent me a DVD set that I didn't pay for. If you bothered to read it, you'd know that's all outlined in the OP.

The identifying details of the DVDs involved is not required for somebody to relay their similar experiences.

Message 5 of 19
Latest reply

Mystery return/delivery

Why post on here if you don't want any replies?

Message 6 of 19
Latest reply

Mystery return/delivery

@lezned-toycollector wrote:

No, it would do you no good anyway, and I'm not about to make public the only means by which the rightful owner can identify the item. That wouldn't be a very smart thing to do now, would it?

Well do it yourself,  it is not that difficult and should be achievable by any novice in just a few minutes.  especially as the insinuation is that the items have been sent by someone you sold to.

Message 7 of 19
Latest reply

Mystery return/delivery

Novice?? Bwahahahahaha... thanks for the laugh

Do you honestly think I posted this topic without first checking out the sold items? Who would do that? Head to the forums as a first step... that's hilarious, too.

Nowhere did I say the new seller was a former buyer of mine, or even insinuate same. What part of "I have no idea who sent it" did you have trouble comprehending? I actually said they were recycling my padded mailer and postage stamps. They could have picked it up at the rubbish dump for all I know (it was extremely soiled and filthy), and it could be anybody.

Message 8 of 19
Latest reply

Mystery return/delivery

It is not illegal to use 2nd hand packaging, so that is not even of any relevance.  The police probably told you that anyway.  It is not all that long ago,  the reuse of packaging was common place.   And yes I am calling novice, or you would already know where it came from.

Message 9 of 19
Latest reply

Mystery return/delivery

Bwahahahahaha. 21 years of online selling makes me a novice... bwahahahahaha. If you only knew who you're addressing (and quite rudely too I must add), which you clearly don't 😉

According to you, those lacking clairvoyant abilities qualify as novices. Incredible. Now I've heard everything.

Please show me where anybody said its illegal to use second hand packaging. I never mentioned anything at all about the legality of anything - although reusing uncancelled stamps could pose a problem at some stage. That's probably why they left my sender's address on there, so I'd get the bill if Australia Post catch on.

The number of assumptions being tossed about here is mind boggling

Message 10 of 19
Latest reply