Mystery return/delivery

Well this is a bit of a strange one. Today, I received a padded mailer in the post. It was scanned and handed to me. Upon receipt, the first thing I noticed was the end was open. It had obviously been cut the entire way across with scissors.

So I took out the contents. It was a 6× DVD television series. This is not something that I've sold, or even ever listed. Nor did I purchase it.

Obviously the next step is to check the sender. It has my return address stamp in the sender's details area. So I immediately look at the front and see 2 concession postage stamps. The original address label has been half torn off, and the remaining details have been blacked out. There is a scrap of paper with a hand written name (which I don't recognise) loosely taped to the mailer by one edge, and a Parcel Post tracking label.

Some seller is obviously too cheap to outlay about 10c each to purchase padded mailers, so they're recycling used ones - and haven't bothered updating the sender's details. I assume it was done to recycle the uncancelled stamps and skimp on postage.

It was delivered to me as RTS because it had no address on the front, and I have no idea who sent it, or where it was meant to go. The AP tracking says sender's details not available.

The only thing I do know about this mystery item, is that the mailer was originally shipped by me between August 25 and October 13. I don't even have any idea what the original contents were.

I took it to the police station to hand it in as lost property, but they refused to take it. They said that because I am the sender, it is legally mine.

I don't know what more I can do, but I do know that some poor buyer out there won't be very happy when their item doesn't show up, yet the tracking shows that it was delivered today.

Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Re: Mystery return/delivery

Well, I guess that all that's going to happen is that the seller of the DVD's will eventually have to issue a refund to the unlucky buyer. Being a cheapskate is going to cost them dearly.

Message 11 of 19
Latest reply

Agreed. Who knows though, the seller may have written down my phone number - but I honestly doubt it.

Message 12 of 19
Latest reply

So that might be how items get lost sometimes and never arrive.

I get items in recycled envelopes too sometimes, and even more often recycled boxes, but they usually put a lot of tape on the new names (both sender's and receiver's names). Just a bit of glue is not a good idea for sure.

I use these envelopes or boxes for rubbish..

As the seller will have to issue a refund, they will hopefully understand what happened and avoid such mistakes in the future.

Message 13 of 19
Latest reply

WOAH….. well you’re a real spit-fire aren’t you! 

Are you the Queen of England? Other than that, I couldn’t care less ‘who you are’ or ‘who I’m talking too’  seriously, we don’t think you’re that important…. So blowing your own trumpet here, is pointless because we just don’t give a F! 

We do care that some poor buyer out there is missing a DVD set that you now have in your unforgiving grinch hands, and that person is who we are most concerned about here…. not you, you big dweeb! 

Also…. Your last paragraph states, and I quote:  “I don’t know what more I can do…..” but you’re hellbent on abusing the responders here who are offering you some suggestions.

So here’s my 2 cents that you didn’t ask for!  Don’t bother posting threads here, if your main agenda is to abuse us!  ….. because you have no idea who you’re dealing with 😉

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 14 of 19
Latest reply

We DO know who you are

A member, exactly like every other member who posts here

Message 15 of 19
Latest reply

Wow, so now anyone who gets something returned to their address is unforgiving and a grinch. Could you be any more insulting or out of line??

And don't falsely accuse me of abusing anyone. I've done no such thing, and you know it.

Message 16 of 19
Latest reply

Well it looks like the most likely seller, has a terrible history of sending the wrong items.

Message 17 of 19
Latest reply

@lezned-toycollector wrote:

Wow, so now anyone who gets something returned to their address is unforgiving and a grinch. Ha! You can pick and choose as many choice words you like to suit your own agenda here, but it’s there in black and white ‘what I REALLY said’. 

Could you be any more insulting or out of line??   YES actually….. I can!   You ain’t seen nothing yet 😂

And don't falsely accuse me of abusing anyone. I've done no such thing, and you know it. What a load of croc….. again…. It’s there in black and white. 😎

You do seem to be quite ‘self -serving’ ….. is that really working for you, because you just come across as completely  angry! 
Almost similar to someone else here who visits his ‘rural-remote-farm’ 😉
 You could be ‘twins’. 

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 18 of 19
Latest reply

It is a bit of a weird one.

Do you know if the concession stamps would have likely been ones you used on the padded mailer?

I think you are probably right and the seller (or poster) is recycling the padded mailer. On the balance of probability though, they didn't pick it up from the tip, they either bought from you at an earlier stage or else someone they know did, and has passed on the padded bag to the seller or poster. Again, we have no evidence the items inside were sold, they could have been a gift for all you know. 

I doubt you could do an easy search of ebay either by just searching for a sale of those DVDs because I think it is the case that those records only show for a month, you won't see August sales.

Personally, I don't think you have a problem here. They were delivered to you, you have no evidence as to who sent them or who was meant to receive them, there is no 'lost property' spot you can drop them off to, so just keep them or gift to an op shop or someone who would like them.

You say it was originally shipped between late Aug/early Oct. In that case, if it was an ebay purchase, then it is long finished. A buyer could, ages ago, have easily filed for item not received and had a refund.

There is actually nothing though to suggest it contained an ebay purchase or was being sent to an ebay buyer. All you really know is that a padded bag you once sent an ebay item out in has been reused.

Just consider this as one of life's little stumbles for the sender. Not everything can be fixed.

Message 19 of 19
Latest reply