Need assistance on changing incorrect listing

gouch01
Community Member

Hello all,

I am in a situation I'm not sure how to correct. I placed an auction for a camera lens, and someone has put in a bid, but I only just realised the description is actually misleading.  

I used a template for the ad, but didn't notice the mistake until now.  I can't change it to reflect the correct item as Ebay said it's too close to the finishing time.   I have just now contacted the buyer to inform them of the mistake, so they can make an informed decision as to whether to continue with the bid, or retract it. 

I just don't want someone buying anything from me on the assumption it is what it actually isn't. I know I would be upset if it happened to me.

I also want to make sure nobody else bids on it based on the misleading title.  

Regards

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

You could remove the listing - relist again with new description.

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

I had to change something on a short time-frame on items with bids.I could only use the bulk editing tool thing which will add a note at the bottom of the listing.Well if people read things it's ok.

As Helen suggests you can end the listing with bids if it is i think 24hr before ending if auction.I have read that eBay may charge you for ending early with bids though.I guess it depends how much $ is on the line with the mistake.

Good luck.

Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

ok, that would work. I didn't  even think of that due to the bid already being placed.   A nuisance to have to do that, but teach me to not proof read correctly I guess. 

I wonder why the reason for not being able to change the listing or at least  add in some text in the description explaining the error is not possible? 

Thanks for your reply

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

Hi Narelle, sorry I missed your post in my last reply. It still has 1 Day 20 hours to go, but it won't let me change the description or the title. I will try the bulk editing tool (if I can work out where it is)  and see if that works.  I would much rather just change it and keep the current auction going if I can. 

There's not a huge difference in what it would be worth, it's not a really big ticket item anyway, but enough to possibly make someone upset if they recieved it then found out it isn't what they were bidding on.  I just don't want to sell something that way. 

The lens is the same optically,  it's the type and speed of the focussing motor that is different in the later version which is HSM.   Mine is advertised as HSM in the title but it is not.      

thank you for the help,  Not having sold anything for years on here and even then only 3 or 4 things anyway, things sure have changed! 

regards

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

ok I have discovered if I go to revise, then select HTML editor, I can add a note to the description which I did explaining the error in the title.  Still can't change the title however. 

I also sent the bidder 2 messages explaing my errors and if he would like to retract the bid he can. I assume he can retract his bid  under these circumstances?   

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

Then again, at the risk of your reputation - end the listing for these reasons.

Wrong description etc.

Relist with relevant info.

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

JMO but if it was me with more than the 24hr before auction end & there was a misleading title or description,i would probably (& have done) end the listing.Even though you add a note,buyers don't read & it may bite you later with a refund or SNAD.If they are bidding they probably have it on a watch list so will bid again when relisted.

I didn't see the auction time left when i posted so you may want to think about ending & relisting.

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

yes I think both of you are correct as someone may not read it then all the drama blah blah.

You have convinced me!

Thanks again

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

Done and done.  Thanks again to both of you

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply