New Australian Post RIP OFF

I sent an item in 3 kilo satchel & it was returned to my local post office about 8 days later..

The post office left me a collection card with request for $13.40 return postage charge !!!

The tracking showed the parcel was delivered but there was a problem with either

wrong address (no it was correct address) or the buyer not home & failed to collect at post office...

So where do we stand as sellers? we either retrieve the item & pay the return post fee or refund the seller and leave the parcel

with Aust. Post?

either way we loose...

Message 1 of 57
Latest reply
56 REPLIES 56

I have worked for Australia Post for over 20 years and that's the first I've heard of our mob charging customers for a RTS (Return to Sender).

Beats the hell out of me????? 

Message 2 of 57
Latest reply

I went to another larger post office to ask if this was correct and was told it was a new 'rule' and only just started

...satchel or no satchel...everything will attract a RTS post charge ๐Ÿ˜ž

Message 3 of 57
Latest reply

In the meantime you should find out what your buyer knows about this.  Firstly, you say the address is correct, so that is AP's error and secondly, it arrived back to you with insufficient time for the buyer to collect from their PO.  Normally, I understood the PO held for at least one week for buyer to pick up.  Not everyone can get to their PO the same day as carded (assuming they were that is).  

Message 4 of 57
Latest reply

Yes beautbots01, I have contacted the buyer and she states that she didnt receive a collect card.

when I checked the tracking it does not state clearly why the parcel has been returned, just could be either

this or that...who is to say if I returned the parcel to her the same thing happens..by then I would have paid $39 in postage all up!!!

may be easier in future to put the buyers name on front & back of satchels  ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 5 of 57
Latest reply

The rule has always been to hold an item at the post office for 10 working days.....a second card is left after a week(5 working days) and the item is held for a further week before being RTS.

Message 6 of 57
Latest reply

This is an AP error.  You will need to either ring the number on the card you received and explain the situation or, depending on how you get on with your local PO, their staff.  The return should not be at your expense, either way.

Message 7 of 57
Latest reply

What a nuisance !!  Have you seen the returned parcel item yet?  The reason I am asking, is that one time I did not put sticky tape over the address on the parcel post bag, and for some reason on this one occasion, part of the address rubbed off (even with permanent marker) ....... so AP's reason for non-delivery was that "address was not clear".  Apparently, it got as far as the buyer's suburb, then returned to me ........ just a thought.

Message 8 of 57
Latest reply

they are loosing a lot of money at the moment  thats prob why the new system.

in fact today i blasted them over a delivery i got on friday , in my garage i was with another person when a van pulled up in front of my driveway and i saw someone come out of the side of the van ,as he came out and going to my front door , i have the door bell also ring in my garage . no ring and i saw him jump back in the side of the van ,so he was not driving ,the van then sped off .

when i went to the front the parcel was left on my verandah ,in front of anybody walking up the street , now everybody puts parcels near my front door out of sight of anybody walking up the street . [ so to save walking 1 meter and using a finger for the doorbell ,and also seeing me in front of the garage, could of just handed it to me .  but all i can doo is yell at them on the phone ,  my 2 bobs worth.

Message 9 of 57
Latest reply

saarzi
Community Member

I receive returned parcels occassionally, mostly international, and have never been charged... thank god because they would have been about $35 a pop.

Thats not to say it doesnt exist (considering its a government business, I wouldnt be suprised in the least that their workers dont know).

Id be calling their central customer support - they are more likely to have the official word, rather than some random worker.

Message 10 of 57
Latest reply