Not happy need help

jllgbf
Community Member

I had an item for sale $100 and buy it now $200 now all of a sudden get message item sold for $100 and something how can this be 275908771822 item number i am very angry i had no internet now that i have i see this not fair.

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Not happy need help

You should be happy and dancing with joy,  the minimum you wanted was $100.00 (based on your listing),  you got $122.50,  thats more then your minimum.  Happy dance time.

Now I'm waiting for your grumpy dance, when you realise Ebay will charge you fee's on that $122.50.

Not sure what your internet problem has to do with it.  I guess thats Ebays fault as well.  More grumpy dance.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Not happy need help

You listed an item for auction, with a starting price of $100  and the item sold for $122.50.

While you may have also had a buy now price of  $200  this is not a reserve price, and is removed when your item receives a bid.

All this  was available to you, before listing, so no point being angry after the event.

Do some research before your next listing.

I do hope you are aware that your funds are going to be held for 30 days,

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

Not happy need help

Why did you list for a low start price if you wanted more? ALWAYS start auctions at the minimum amount you are prepared to take. As mentioned, a buy it now price isn't a reserve price. Your reserve price is your minimum auction amount.

You have 2 choices. Cut your losses and sell to the highest bidder, bearing in mind it's probably going to cost more than $25 to post. Or, cancel the transaction, wear the negative feedback and defect on your account, and move on. 

You also have to consider, you listed it as brand new, in an unopened box. Yet you have photos out of the box and even a photo of the empty box. I realise you did that for the purpose of the photos, but it is no longer considered brand new in box.

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

Not happy need help

Adding to, listed as โ€œnew in boxโ€, the instructions are dirty with with finger marks and dirt etc, regardless that these are merely instructions, theyโ€™re extremely dirty.

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

Not happy need help

You listed the item and choose the starting price

It sold for over $120, not $100 as you say

No doubt the buyer will be very angry (IF you honour the sale) that you are selling something clearly used as brand new

Having no internet has nothing to do with anything

Don't forget you must post the item within the handling time you gave

Don't forget about the fees you will be charged for selling, you are not going to get the $120 odd after eBay take out their fees, like the last time you posted and questioned why you were not paid out the full sale price of the item at that time

You ignored all the replies from members then and seems you still have not bothered, after 15 years to educate yourself on how eBay works for sellers 

If you do not know how eBay works, you have only yourself to balme so no point telling other members here how 'it's not fair' and making excuses

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

Not happy need help

@jllgbf wrote:

I had an item for sale $100 and buy it now $200 now all of a sudden get message item sold for $100 and something how can this be 275908771822 item number i am very angry i had no internet now that i have i see this not fair.

Just out of curiosity, what did you think the $100 stood for when you listed the auction?

Think about other auctions eg house auctions. They may start low and be passed in, but you're not told the 'reserve' beforehand, are you?

In a similar way, if the $200 you typed in was a known in advance reserve price, what would be the point in having a start of $100?  Because that's what it is-the $100 is the starting price.

The buy it now price you listed ($200) is just there in case you get a customer who is very keen & prepared  to buy at that price, on the spot. Some may.

But the majority of buyers will just make a bid.

They may actually make a bid of higher than $100, but the bid will come up as $100 and it will only go up automatically if there is a second bid by someone else. Then the ebay system will counter bid on the first buyer's behalf, up to their maximum (which you as a seller will not be able to see).

So it is important that you, as a seller, set the starting price at a level you would be comfortable selling for. A lot of auctions these days may only get one bid. You were lucky as yours got 3 bids and actually went up a reasonable amount. It could well have sold for just the $100.

I don't think it will matter that you took it out of the box to photograph it. I think most buyers would prefer to see close ups of what they are getting than just a pic of a cardboard box.

I am surprised though that you have got this far on ebay as a seller & buyer over more than a decade and have not learnt the basics of how auctions work.  It is well worth having a read of the help section so you don't get caught by any other nasty surprises.

So don't be angry. You've made a mistake but just learn from it for the future. Right now you have 2 choices. Either honour the sale (although disappointed by the sale price) or else cancel and refund. If you do the latter, message the winner, apologise and explain you made a mistake and thought the buy it now was a reserve.

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

Not happy need help

You should be happy and dancing with joy,  the minimum you wanted was $100.00 (based on your listing),  you got $122.50,  thats more then your minimum.  Happy dance time.

Now I'm waiting for your grumpy dance, when you realise Ebay will charge you fee's on that $122.50.

Not sure what your internet problem has to do with it.  I guess thats Ebays fault as well.  More grumpy dance.

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply