Only one promotional postage offer shown in cart

I have two promotional postage offers:

1. If you order more than one item from my store you only pay an additional $2.50 per item in shipping

2. If your order total is more than $99 shipping is free.

I have browsed eBay from another device and when I add an item from my store to my cart only the second promotional postage offer is shown:

screenshot-cart.payments.ebay.com.au-2019.09.11-14_05_41.png

The cart page seems to be the perfect opportunity to show all available offers to get buyers to add additional items to their cart. Is it possible to get more than one active promotional offer on the cart page, or anywhere else other than just the "Shipping" section on the product page?

It would be nice to remind buyers of all the discounts available to them to encourage them to purchase additional items but I can't see any way of doing it.

Any tips or advice? Thanks.

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

imastawka
Honored Contributor

I put 2 items in the cart and the 2nd one was $2.50

But why do I have to pay  $11.45 for 2 small bottles when they'll both fit in the $8.95 satchel?

Just askin'

See?  You weren't expecting that answer were you?

Message 2 of 15
Latest reply

Because two bottles weighs more than 500g. Add in eBay's fees on shipping and packaging costs and I'm barely covering shipping costs.

Then there's the final value fees on the product itself and Paypal's fees.

These are low margin items, imported from overseas, if I don't make a profit then what's the point of doing it?

Message 3 of 15
Latest reply

The short answer is no, only one will display in the cart.

The long answer is that, strictly speaking, eBay only allows one promotional postage rule to be created per store  - and by promotional, I don't mean it in the general sense, I mean it in the sense that when you create postage rules and discounts, you can create multiple flat rate postage rules, multiple calculated postage rules, but only one promotional postage rule, and it's that rule which is promoted in the cart (both are shown in the postage and payments tab of your listings, though). 

Message 4 of 15
Latest reply

@saucemania wrote:

Because two bottles weighs more than 500g. Add in eBay's fees on shipping and packaging costs and I'm barely covering shipping costs.

These are low margin items, imported from overseas, if I don't make a profit then what's the point of doing it?

It sounds like you might benefit from the new satchels coming in at the end of this month - Aus Post are changing from weight-based pre-paid satchels to size-based (small, medium, large and extra large - up to 5kg per size). 

It it fits, it posts, so if you can fit multiple bottles in a small satchel, they'll be able to go in one (for $9.30, at the single satchel rate, you can get discounts for buying multiples).

Message 5 of 15
Latest reply

Thank you for the detailed and constructive response.

So is there any way of promoting/featuring the other discount more prominently?

It's on the product pages under "Shipping", but is there anywhere else I can put it to let potential buyers know about it?

You would think eBay would be trying a little harder given the imminent arrival of Facebook Marketplace for Retailers.

Sales for the first two months were great, but things have slowed down in month three and I'm trying to figure out how to stimulate more sales.

Message 6 of 15
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

@saucemania wrote:

It sounds like you might benefit from the new satchels coming in at the end of this month - Aus Post are changing from weight-based pre-paid satchels to size-based (small, medium, large and extra large - up to 5kg per size). 

It it fits, it posts, so if you can fit multiple bottles in a small satchel, they'll be able to go in one (for $9.30, at the single satchel rate, you can get discounts for buying multiples).

Yes, I expect I'll be changing my shipping costs at the end of the month. I will be one of those who benefit due to the relatvely small size of the products.

However, I do use a lot of bubblewrap and other protective measures. Glass is tricky to send via the post, especially given the lack of care shown towards parcels by AP and courier companies. If you don't want breakages you have to protect the items well and that means padding out empty space and providing a lot of cushioning.

Message 8 of 15
Latest reply

I put my flat rate postage discount in the description, which not a lot of people read, but some still do.

I wouldn't recommend putting any banners etc on your images, it's allowed but strongly disliked by eBay and every couple of years they try to stamp out the practice by making it against policy (so far they've walked back on it every time, but they might make it stick one day, plus google doesn't like text and watermarks so your listings will have a better chance of appearing on google searches without such things).

The only other option is a subtitle - but at full price they are $1.50 per month, per listing. I use them very sparingly myself (only used it once in the last several years), but they are a good spot to get the info to buyers if you feel it will be of benefit to advertise it more prominently. 

Message 9 of 15
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

I put my flat rate postage discount in the description, which not a lot of people read, but some still do.

I wouldn't recommend putting any banners etc on your images, it's allowed but strongly disliked by eBay and every couple of years they try to stamp out the practice by making it against policy (so far they've walked back on it every time, but they might make it stick one day, plus google doesn't like text and watermarks so your listings will have a better chance of appearing on google searches without such things).

The only other option is a subtitle - but at full price they are $1.50 per month, per listing. I use them very sparingly myself (only used it once in the last several years), but they are a good spot to get the info to buyers if you feel it will be of benefit to advertise it more prominently. 

Thanks. Yes, it seems like the product description is the only other place to mention it. I will give that a shot. Thanks for the advice.

I'm not prepared to pay for a subtitle.

You would think eBay would assist us more in promoting offers, but everything seems geared around generating fees. You can't blame them I guess, but times are changing and eBay needs to change with them. The eBay website is starting to look very dated.

Message 10 of 15
Latest reply