Opening a store - what are the pitfalls?

After all the recent changes to FVFs and listing fees, I’ve come to the decision to open a store.  I think the economics of my doing so are marginal but on the other hand I won’t have to worry about how many listings I create or renew each week, etc.  Plus I will be able to put on an out-of-office message if necessary.

As I understand it when I open the store all my current listings will automatically transfer over.  Will that include my drafts and ended listings?

Is there anything else I need to be aware?  I was caught out badly with the limited-monthly-listing changes and so feel the need to get second opinions.

Anyhow as I understand it I can withdraw at any time.  Presumably the reverse process re my listings would then occur.

Many thanks to the insightful patient people who respond to my queries.  j

Message 1 of 37
Latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

I only see the pitfalls that you must be going through without having a store.

Message 2 of 37
Latest reply

The store is an addon to your account. Nothing changes with listings - ended, unsold, drafts.

Once you open your store, your active listings show in it, as well as any searches people do (as now). But, you will have to edit them to include the relevant store category or they will all show in 'Other'. If you subscribe to Selling Manager Pro (free with a store), you will also have access to a template function (Seller Hub>Listings) that will hold about 400 templates. I use that for my drafts, one per template, as they aren't time limited like drafts.

A basic store is $27.45 with GST and you get 600 listings, BUT, except for collectibles, you can only list BIN (with MAO if desired).

Also if you subscribe to SMP and you close your store, make sure you unsubscribe or it will cost you.

Message 3 of 37
Latest reply

The pitfalls to opening a store ? Just a few thoughts......not an exhuastive list.

* You have to pay full listing fee for all auctions except in collectables catagories, which are free.

* Store holders rarely get offered promotions such as free listings etc. Still happens occasionally but much less than non stores.

Benefits -

* You can put your store in holiday mode. You can choose to either hide your listings or keep them visible with a message regards your return date.

* No need to keep ending listings and relist to meet promotions. This means long running, succesfull listings build up a following in time, both on ebay and in google searches. A couple of my longest running listings regularly show up in the first few photos when google image searches are done. This undoubtably helps sales.

* A small reduction in final value fee percentages. If you sell several thousand dollars per month, this can cover the extra monthly fees associated with having a store, meaning for some sellers, there is no extra fees payable overall. 

* feedback for buyers can be automated, reducing time spent on this chore considerably.

Message 4 of 37
Latest reply

I changed from a personal account to a store back in 2014 and have never looked back.

All of my items are BIN with Immediate Payment required, so it's honestly a "set and forget" situation.

The extra bonus is being able to put your store in vacation mode when you go away.

Message 5 of 37
Latest reply

The collectables category includes crafts so you can do auctions for those. Check out ebay's seller fee tables to see exactly what you pay for each category.
Message 6 of 37
Latest reply

Couple more random thoughts/queries:

1. it appears Store-keepers when they list a BIN cannot also include Make an Offer.  is that right?  In two minds as to whether that is a good thing.

2. from what I've gleened from these Boards it appears that Store listings take priority over non-Store listings.  is that right?  Or if not do I need to ensure that they don't languish at the bottom, by regularly re-listing?  [As I used to do without a Store, before I started getting charged for each one!]

3. also I thought I read somewhere that the postage regime is less strict.  Right?  I always post within 48 hours, and haven't had a problem - yet.  But it would be nice to know that there is some further slack with a Store.

4. in general are seller standards the same?  

thanks again j

Message 7 of 37
Latest reply

I opened a store after jumping through all the hoops re “free postage”, item weigh and size, offering express postage etc  and finally getting stung with GTC changes. I have had it for a few weeks now and have noticed a huge decline in watchers and buyers. So I don’t know if lots of sellers have  also opened stores and the site is just full of listings for buyers to sift through. Or eBay has shoved my listings into oblivion because they will receive the store fee if I sell anything or not. Maybe, as some others on here have suggested, eBay is just not the go to place for buying any more. 

Message 8 of 37
Latest reply

@jane-de-cluttering wrote:

Couple more random thoughts/queries:

1. it appears Store-keepers when they list a BIN cannot also include Make an Offer.  is that right?  In two minds as to whether that is a good thing.

I dont use best offer, but plenty of other stores do, so the facility is available.

2. from what I've gleened from these Boards it appears that Store listings take priority over non-Store listings.  is that right? 

I Used to have a non store account that did very well and was more vibrant than my stores, so I dont think that is correct. If anything I suspect the non store accounts are not " regulated " in the way stores are, allowing for a more natural flow of sales. But that is just my opinion. No-one knows for sure.

Or if not do I need to ensure that they don't languish at the bottom, by regularly re-listing?  [As I used to do without a Store, before I started getting charged for each one!]

You can achieve the same effect by doing Phantom bulk edits.ie. you click bulk edit, tick up to 500 listings at a time and just click finish without actually changing anything. This pushes listings up in searches for awhile in the same way as relists do.

3. also I thought I read somewhere that the postage regime is less strict.  Right?  I always post within 48 hours, and haven't had a problem - yet.  But it would be nice to know that there is some further slack with a Store.

You can choose very long handling times with a store, at least ten days and maybe longer. I have a five business day handling period ( which gives me a full week with the weekend ) and use all of it sometimes.

4. in general are seller standards the same?  

Dont know for sure.

thanks again j

Message 9 of 37
Latest reply

If you don't sell what most buyers are interested in then it won't matter if you have a store or not.

It amazes me how many sellers sell things that your average buyer would not buy and also they sell things that you could go and buy cheaper at a BM store.

Message 10 of 37
Latest reply