Parcel was damaged but buyer refused to take it back to the post off

a4245-65
Community Member

Hi everyone,

I have recently sold a bottle of used perfume. Because of the terrible handlings by  Australia Post in the past, I purchased extra insurance and Signature on Delivery at my own expenses. I also suggested the buyer to open up the parcel in the post office to make sure the perfume is not damaged (she uses a Post Office address as her delivery address).

The parcel was delivered on 10 Feb. On the  following day, the buyer contacted me and said the package was leaking but she didn’t notice when picking up because she had several parcels. I replied within five minutes and told her not to open the parcel. Just take it back to the post office and tell the staff about what happened. They would fill a damaged report and giver her a reference number. I’ll then process a full refund to her. 

The buyer did not respond to my message or take the parcel back. On 16 February, without any further communication, she opened a case and asked for a full refund. I left her several messages and said that I have purchased full insurance. She doesn’t need to worry about dealing with Australia Post as it is my responsibility. I will refund her the full amount but what she needs to do first is to take the parcel back to the post office so I can claim compensation.

But she just wouldn’t reply or return the parcel. 

I have also contacted eBay, who suggested me to wait until 21 February or to provide the buyer with a return postage label even though I explained to eBay why the buyer does not need to send the parcel back to me.

This whole thing just seems really odd to me as most buyers would like to solve the matter ASAP. It normally doesn’t take this long for them to return the parcel. They would at least leave me a message if they couldn’t do it within a reasonable time.

It was lucky that I took a full video when packing up. I also took some photos when dropping off at the post office.

Has anyone came across similar situations before? I really don’t know what I should do now.

Message 1 of 59
Latest reply
58 REPLIES 58

Re: Parcel was damaged but buyer refused to take it back to the post off

There is no ‘ USED’ option when listing a perfume. And the buyer was aware the perfume had been used. A full bottle of 200ml costs around $1000.

Message 21 of 59
Latest reply

@a4245-65 wrote:

The buyer was fully aware the perfume is used. She had been asking lots of questions, such as the time when the perfume was first opened, and how much it had been used.

eBay does not allow sellers to list used perfume.

Then why are you selling a prohibited product.??

Screenshot_20230220-160252_Gmail~3.jpg

Message 22 of 59
Latest reply

This information is really helpful. I think the point here is that the bottle had been opened. It doesn’t matter whether I have purchased extra insurance or not.That’s why companies like Myer or Jo Malone can send perfume with AP because their items are all brand new. Thank you so much. This really helps.

Message 23 of 59
Latest reply

Myer & Jo Malone - are probably licenced to do so - an individual is not - unless licenced.

Message 24 of 59
Latest reply

Thank you for asking AP.  I contacted them last week regarding the incident, and they didn’t even say a single word about this policy. I was just told to take the perfume back to the post office and file a compensation claim. If sending perfume within AP is completely not permitted, I wonder how businesses, likeMyer and Jo Malone, could send their parcels. Or they might just bear the costs of damaged goods. Thanks again.

Message 25 of 59
Latest reply

What is it you are not understanding - DGL - a Dangerous Goods Licence.

You do not have one.

Message 26 of 59
Latest reply

As as been said, those business would have to have a dangerous goods license to send perfume 

Message 27 of 59
Latest reply

The buyer only sent me a photo of the box. I am still not sure what the inside looks like.

This picture is a bottle of brand new perfume with its coffret. This happened a few weeks ago. See what AP did.
I have sent and received perfume for a few times. I never know it is prohibited within Australia. I really appreciate that you asked AP. Thank you again.

B6810F6C-467F-4F12-8865-6601B2E93274.jpeg

Message 28 of 59
Latest reply

I also feel that it is Unethical to list something as Brand New when it clearly is not.

Message 29 of 59
Latest reply

Items sent via AP,  must be packaged to withstand having a 20kg weight dropped on them from waist height.

Chances are any insurance claim for a glass bottle of liquid, will be disputed due to insufficient packaging.

As stated earlier just send a return label. if the buyer does not return the item (no refund).

As stated pics and video at time of shipment, mean nothing, useless.  I can not see you winning a case, so your only viable option is to issue a return label.

Message 30 of 59
Latest reply