Parcel was damaged but buyer refused to take it back to the post off

a4245-65
Community Member

Hi everyone,

I have recently sold a bottle of used perfume. Because of the terrible handlings by  Australia Post in the past, I purchased extra insurance and Signature on Delivery at my own expenses. I also suggested the buyer to open up the parcel in the post office to make sure the perfume is not damaged (she uses a Post Office address as her delivery address).

The parcel was delivered on 10 Feb. On the  following day, the buyer contacted me and said the package was leaking but she didn’t notice when picking up because she had several parcels. I replied within five minutes and told her not to open the parcel. Just take it back to the post office and tell the staff about what happened. They would fill a damaged report and giver her a reference number. I’ll then process a full refund to her. 

The buyer did not respond to my message or take the parcel back. On 16 February, without any further communication, she opened a case and asked for a full refund. I left her several messages and said that I have purchased full insurance. She doesn’t need to worry about dealing with Australia Post as it is my responsibility. I will refund her the full amount but what she needs to do first is to take the parcel back to the post office so I can claim compensation.

But she just wouldn’t reply or return the parcel. 

I have also contacted eBay, who suggested me to wait until 21 February or to provide the buyer with a return postage label even though I explained to eBay why the buyer does not need to send the parcel back to me.

This whole thing just seems really odd to me as most buyers would like to solve the matter ASAP. It normally doesn’t take this long for them to return the parcel. They would at least leave me a message if they couldn’t do it within a reasonable time.

It was lucky that I took a full video when packing up. I also took some photos when dropping off at the post office.

Has anyone came across similar situations before? I really don’t know what I should do now.

Message 1 of 59
Latest reply
58 REPLIES 58

It was lucky that I took a full video when packing up. I also took some photos when dropping off at the post office.

How does this  in anyway, prove the condition of the item as received by the buyer.  Of no value or interest to ebay.

Message 11 of 59
Latest reply

If you got your info from here =

Given the flammable nature of perfume, it is classified as dangerous goods and is therefore required to be transported by road. Perfume CANNOT be sent via Express Post.

Take another look - they are a clearance co - and more than probably have a DGL.

To add - I cannot imagine it is OK to send - opened bottles of perfume through Australia Post - let alone who would purchase same.

The PO would have had a great waft on receiving a leaking bottle.

Better ' clean ' up your listings or look for a world of pain. 

Message 12 of 59
Latest reply

I would think that the buyer thought the perfume had leaked, because they bought new without box, and got a bottle, probably with a box, that was only 80% full. If I'd bought it where it said new without box, regardless of the description, I'd expect a full bottle. The buyer has every right to be pished.

I think the OP is going to find themselves with lots of pain!

Message 13 of 59
Latest reply

If it's the Kurkdjian Baccarat - there are 2 photos of the non existent box.

Ad looks as though it has a ' stopper ' - good luck with that not leaking.

Message 14 of 59
Latest reply

There are in fact 2 items that say Brand New without box.  The one you mention that says 80% full and another citing 50%. 

An accident waiting to happen

Message 15 of 59
Latest reply

Guys, when I searched for "perfume", there is no option for "used", it's either "New with box" or "New without box" and apparently sellers use the 2nd option to sell half full used bottles.

Message 16 of 59
Latest reply

@huatao1975 wrote:

Guys, when I searched for "perfume", there is no option for "used", it's either "New with box" or "New without box" and apparently sellers use the 2nd option to sell half full used bottles.

I wonder if it is because perfume bottles are supposed to be sold new?

Message 17 of 59
Latest reply

Hi thank you so much for writing this long message. I have told her since the very beginning that I will refund her the full amount but she just wouldn’t reply to either eBay or me.

Perfume is allowed to post only via Standard Post within Australia. I have personally bought perfume from Myer and Jo Malone, who also use Australia Post as their courier. It is strictly prohibited when shipping them to overseas.

I suggested her to open the parcel in the post office because there have been several times when Australia Post poorly handled the parcels with the bottle being completely smashed.

I have also came across scammers who claimed the box was empty after receiving the parcel. So now I have always taken a full video when packing up and some photos when dropping off at the post office. All of these could all prove the perfume or the box was not damaged.

Thank you so much for telling me all of these. It has just helped me see things from a different perspective.

Message 18 of 59
Latest reply

I made an enquiry through AP - for  both - new & opened - this was the outcome.

Hang on. lol

Message 19 of 59
Latest reply

The buyer was fully aware the perfume is used. She had been asking lots of questions, such as the time when the perfume was first opened, and how much it had been used.

eBay does not allow sellers to list used perfume.

Message 20 of 59
Latest reply