PayPal since eBay Managed Payments

As a seller is there a way I can remove PayPal as a payment option for buyers?  Ebay tells me there is no fee to use PP and yes I understand that, but on talking to PayPal they tell me that their fee is removed before sending to eBay.  This is completely different to what eBay tells me. Can someone explain how to remove the option and if I can't how does it all work if using PP? 

Thanks.  Totally confused after speaking to both eBay and PayPal. 

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

When buyers use PP,  the transaction is direcly between  PP and Ebay.   Since Managed Payments  ebay pays the  2.5%  PP fee direct to PP,  however   Ebay sellers fees were increased by 2.5% to cover the fee being paid to paypal.

Note  The 2.5% increase to ebays seller fee,  not only goes to covering the PP fee, it also covers fees to all other ebay payment methods, whether the the actual fee is higher than 2.5% or not.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

@blubarb19 wrote:

As a seller is there a way I can remove PayPal as a payment option for buyers?  

No, until eBay removes Paypal as a payment option buyers will still be able to use it.

Ebay tells me there is no fee to use PP and yes I understand that, but on talking to PayPal they tell me that their fee is removed before sending to eBay.  This is completely different to what eBay tells me. Can someone explain how to remove the option and if I can't how does it all work if using PP? 

I'm not sure where you're coming from there, when I use Paypal to buy things there is no charge to me. 

Before Managed Payments there was a Paypal fee for sellers, but that is no longer the case.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

Yep, that's what I thought - no fee from eBay's side for payPal as a buyer - that makes sense and that confirms what eBay says. 

But from a seller's point of view, if the buyer elects to use PP then surely PP charges a fee to the seller. PayPal tells me that they charge the seller a fee of 2.6% (domestic) or 3.6% (international) to the seller.  I was just wondering when they take these fees? 

It's important for me as I want to list a high value item (AUD8,000).  I have included the 13.4% on the first $4k and 2.5% on the balance but the PP fee might need to be added in case the buyer elects to chose PP as I don't wish to take a further $300 loss in PP fees. 

Thanks for your patience as I try to work through this. 

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

Fees when you sell your item

You pay one final value fee for items you sell on eBay, with no third-party payment processing fees.

The final value fee is calculated as a percentage of the total sale amount per item (item price + postage and handling charges), plus a fixed charge of $0.30 per order.

Selling fees without an eBay Store | eBay

If you are fully signed up to Managed Payments and verified, then there is no fee for Paypal.

The % that you used to pay to Paypal is now paid to ebay.

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

"The % that you used to pay to Paypal is now paid to ebay."

Now that's what I thought!  This was denied by eBay on chat and PayPal! I have the feeling they want to be secretive about this.

Anyway, someone has to pay PP for their buyer protection plan.  A good deal for eBay if buyers elect another method of payment I suspect. 

I think I see how it is working now. It's really a hidden PP fee (if PP is elected by the buyer) otherwise it's just part of the eBay fee.  That makes sense. 

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

When buyers use PP,  the transaction is direcly between  PP and Ebay.   Since Managed Payments  ebay pays the  2.5%  PP fee direct to PP,  however   Ebay sellers fees were increased by 2.5% to cover the fee being paid to paypal.

Note  The 2.5% increase to ebays seller fee,  not only goes to covering the PP fee, it also covers fees to all other ebay payment methods, whether the the actual fee is higher than 2.5% or not.

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply